Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
TT vs 5th towing tips.

Getting a tad nervous before getting my sabre on Friday.

Is towing a 5th a lot different than a bumper pull?

Tips or hints? It's 40ft long.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK

Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Gold Miner At Heart
Towing a 5er is so much easier than a TT. You don't have the swaying with a fifth wheel the way you do with a TT especially when the tractor and trailers pass you.

“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
I was in the same boat as you a couple years back. Went from a 30' tt to a 39' Sabre fiver (34tbok). Only took about 10 minutes of driving down the road before I knew it was a great choice. Pulled better, I actually got better mileage with the 5er. No sway, and not too much different backing. Enjoy!!
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
You will know and feel a world of difference with a 5er mostly relief because there is none of the sway and other "sensations" you get in a TT
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Will tow way better as others have said.

I recommend getting air ride for the rear. I got it and the front end feels dramatically better. Aside from that I prefer a 5th wheel over any travel trailer from now on.
2015 Palomino Puma Unleashed 351-THSS 37' Toyhauler
2013 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 Kodiak Brown Metallic w/18k Superglide hitch and Air Lift rear air ride

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 AM   #6
TT vs 5th towing tips.

To me, the biggest difference has been the ease of hooking and unhooking. No more weight distribution bars or sway control to deal with. The 5er does track just a bit differently when turning and when backing it seems a bit slow to respond at first but once it does start to pivot, it will come around very quickly, making maneuvering better. I went from a 32' TT to 40' 5er and do not find it to be any more difficult to deal with the additional length. I think you will be very pleased.

Elko, Va.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins High Output
Cedar Creek 36B2
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #7
As someone has said, it tracks differently from your TT. Take any turns wide until you feel comfortable with it. It will back differently, it doesn't require as much input(steering wheel turn) in order to get it to turn. Don't forget about the overhead such as low hanging trees and underpasses.

You will enjoy the way your new 5th wheel handles.

2014 F-250 CCSB PSD
2016 Columbus 320RS
FireInst12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 AM   #8
Towing a fifth wheel is so much nicer than a bumper pull I traded my bumper pull flat trailer for a fifth wheel as well. They do track on turns a little differently but should not be that noticeable. After a few trips you will wonder why you did not get one sooner.

The biggest difference is backing is different but you will get used to it. Just takes practice.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Getting a tad nervous before getting my sabre on Friday.

Is towing a 5th a lot different than a bumper pull?

Tips or hints? It's 40ft long.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
I was nervous just like you. Our first camper was the 40ft in my signature. I've towed TTs before up to about 27feet long and knew I wanted a 5th wheel. We almost went with a 42ft but I was nervous with the 40ft.. and then you fold down the bike rack in the rear which adds another 2-3 feet... I bought in MI and paid to have it delivered because I was too nervous to travel the 1,200 miles back home as a 1st time tow. I'll say now after towing 4 or 5 times, I have no reservations about traveling long distance any more.

I have to say, it tows like it is nothing. I get very little bounce at all and unless you are at a red like trying to start from a dead stop, you won't even realize you have a trailer behind you until you look in your rear view mirror.

The only thing that you need to be careful of is bends in the road. Sometimes I find myself forgetting the trailer is behind me and I get close to the white line when the road bends to the right and I look in my side view mirror and the trailer tires are almost off the road. But I have yet to have any issues at all with towing.

Heck every time but the 1st time I've had to back it down my driveway, I've been able to do it in one try which I'm really impressed about lol. I find the bigger the trailers are, they easier they are to tow, especially when backing up because you can't overcorrect so quickly (trailer is slow to respond one direction or the other). Try backing up a snowmobile trailer and you are constantly turning the wheel left, then right, then left, then right, then left, then right and then you found you've only gone back 20 feet lol.

Lastly, with a 5th wheel, you can turn your truck 90 degrees or close to it for some tight turns or U-turns. Can't do that with a bumper pull..
2015 F350 6.7 Platinum
2015 Coachmen 360IBL
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
I find the biggest issue with a big rig is getting it stopped especially on a down grade. Practice and getting know your stopping distance

You are also taller. Know your height.

Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote