Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

TT vs 5th towing tips.

Getting a tad nervous before getting my sabre on Friday.

Is towing a 5th a lot different than a bumper pull?

Tips or hints? It's 40ft long.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Gold Miner At Heart

Towing a 5er is so much easier than a TT. You don't have the swaying with a fifth wheel the way you do with a TT especially when the tractor and trailers pass you.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

I was in the same boat as you a couple years back. Went from a 30' tt to a 39' Sabre fiver (34tbok). Only took about 10 minutes of driving down the road before I knew it was a great choice. Pulled better, I actually got better mileage with the 5er. No sway, and not too much different backing. Enjoy!!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #4

You will know and feel a world of difference with a 5er mostly relief because there is none of the sway and other "sensations" you get in a TT
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #5

Will tow way better as others have said.

I recommend getting air ride for the rear. I got it and the front end feels dramatically better. Aside from that I prefer a 5th wheel over any travel trailer from now on.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 AM   #6

TT vs 5th towing tips.

To me, the biggest difference has been the ease of hooking and unhooking. No more weight distribution bars or sway control to deal with. The 5er does track just a bit differently when turning and when backing it seems a bit slow to respond at first but once it does start to pivot, it will come around very quickly, making maneuvering better. I went from a 32' TT to 40' 5er and do not find it to be any more difficult to deal with the additional length. I think you will be very pleased.

Elko, Va.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins High Output
Cedar Creek 36B2
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #7

As someone has said, it tracks differently from your TT. Take any turns wide until you feel comfortable with it. It will back differently, it doesn't require as much input(steering wheel turn) in order to get it to turn. Don't forget about the overhead such as low hanging trees and underpasses.

You will enjoy the way your new 5th wheel handles.

2014 F-250 CCSB PSD
2016 Columbus 320RS
FireInst12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 AM   #8

Towing a fifth wheel is so much nicer than a bumper pull I traded my bumper pull flat trailer for a fifth wheel as well. They do track on turns a little differently but should not be that noticeable. After a few trips you will wonder why you did not get one sooner.

The biggest difference is backing is different but you will get used to it. Just takes practice.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Getting a tad nervous before getting my sabre on Friday.

Is towing a 5th a lot different than a bumper pull?

Tips or hints? It's 40ft long.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
I was nervous just like you. Our first camper was the 40ft in my signature. I've towed TTs before up to about 27feet long and knew I wanted a 5th wheel. We almost went with a 42ft but I was nervous with the 40ft.. and then you fold down the bike rack in the rear which adds another 2-3 feet... I bought in MI and paid to have it delivered because I was too nervous to travel the 1,200 miles back home as a 1st time tow. I'll say now after towing 4 or 5 times, I have no reservations about traveling long distance any more.

I have to say, it tows like it is nothing. I get very little bounce at all and unless you are at a red like trying to start from a dead stop, you won't even realize you have a trailer behind you until you look in your rear view mirror.

The only thing that you need to be careful of is bends in the road. Sometimes I find myself forgetting the trailer is behind me and I get close to the white line when the road bends to the right and I look in my side view mirror and the trailer tires are almost off the road. But I have yet to have any issues at all with towing.

Heck every time but the 1st time I've had to back it down my driveway, I've been able to do it in one try which I'm really impressed about lol. I find the bigger the trailers are, they easier they are to tow, especially when backing up because you can't overcorrect so quickly (trailer is slow to respond one direction or the other). Try backing up a snowmobile trailer and you are constantly turning the wheel left, then right, then left, then right, then left, then right and then you found you've only gone back 20 feet lol.

Lastly, with a 5th wheel, you can turn your truck 90 degrees or close to it for some tight turns or U-turns. Can't do that with a bumper pull..
Old 09-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #10

I find the biggest issue with a big rig is getting it stopped especially on a down grade. Practice and getting know your stopping distance

You are also taller. Know your height.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
I find the biggest issue with a big rig is getting it stopped especially on a down grade. Practice and getting know your stopping distance

You are also taller. Know your height.
Our new to us 5th wheel is 11 foot 10 inches tall. on the spec sheet.

if a Transport truck is able to clear the zone then we are safe.
Good sam makes a GPS that permits you to input your trailer height and it will warn and reroute for low overheads.

5th wheel is the best way to tow.
DW originally wanted a tag along and the first time out she was fearful when a transport truck sucked the air off my trailer.

after that for 3 yrs i told her no complaining - this is what she wated.
we sold ours this July and bought a used 5th wheel bunk house
Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #12

It may sound stupid... Especially if we are scouting camping areas...I pretend the trailer is behind me as I am touring. I watch trees and curbs etc. I am not real experienced in towing...mostly just dream of camping. In my case I can kinda "feel" if the 5er will fit.

We went to Dangerfield state park...man the spots are short. We could have only parked in a few back in spots. I have never seen any more unlevel than these. At least a foot from side to side and some two feet or more front to back...it was crazy. You would have to tie your trailer to a tree literally. The pull throughs were very curved...but lots of trees. Pretty park just narrow spots and roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #13

As others said, which concur with my observations:
1) You will have to take turns much wider.
2) It's easy to forget how tall you are, likely around 13'. Beware of limbs.
3) Much easier to handle heavy side wind, or passing trucks. Much easier.
4) Heavier unit means more stopping distance, and more pull needed going uphill.
5) Be careful of the TV antenna. More difficult to see and more likely to snag if left up.
6) Depending on hitch, you may have "chucking" or "jerking" crossing bumps. If so, most can be removed by changes in the hitch and 5th wheel suspension. Just post for advice.
7) Downside is that big 5th wheels may not fit in many of the older national park sites whereas a smaller trailer or "C" will.
8) Biggest upside for us is even with the grandkids, when it's foul weather outside, we can all relax inside without being "confined".. Wife and I take the recliners.
9) Likely the biggest initial problem is the expectations of more problems because bigger is suppose to be more difficult. Not so.
10) Expect to lose about 2 mpg.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #14

Height problems are usually branches in campsites.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
As others said, which concur with my observations:
1) You will have to take turns much wider.
2) It's easy to forget how tall you are, likely around 13'. Beware of limbs.
3) Much easier to handle heavy side wind, or passing trucks. Much easier.
4) Heavier unit means more stopping distance, and more pull needed going uphill.
5) Be careful of the TV antenna. More difficult to see and more likely to snag if left up.
6) Depending on hitch, you may have "chucking" or "jerking" crossing bumps. If so, most can be removed by changes in the hitch and 5th wheel suspension. Just post for advice.
7) Downside is that big 5th wheels may not fit in many of the older national park sites whereas a smaller trailer or "C" will.
8) Biggest upside for us is even with the grandkids, when it's foul weather outside, we can all relax inside without being "confined".. Wife and I take the recliners.
9) Likely the biggest initial problem is the expectations of more problems because bigger is suppose to be more difficult. Not so.
10) Expect to lose about 2 mpg.
everyone that I know that has upgraded from a TT to a fiver has went up in mpg, not down. probably due to the better aerodynamics of the fiver being tucked closer behind the cab
camperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #16

As others have stated you are in for a pleasant surprise at how much better the 5er will tow. A couple of things to reinforce what others have said you are taller and be careful not to back up too sharp or the upper level of trailer will get into the corner of the truck cab. Also be sure you are latched in the hitch before raising legs and pulling off.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #17

Fifth Wheel Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
I was nervous just like you. Our first camper was the 40ft in my signature. I've towed TTs before up to about 27feet long and knew I wanted a 5th wheel. We almost went with a 42ft but I was nervous with the 40ft.. and then you fold down the bike rack in the rear which adds another 2-3 feet... I bought in MI and paid to have it delivered because I was too nervous to travel the 1,200 miles back home as a 1st time tow. I'll say now after towing 4 or 5 times, I have no reservations about traveling long distance any more.

I have to say, it tows like it is nothing. I get very little bounce at all and unless you are at a red like trying to start from a dead stop, you won't even realize you have a trailer behind you until you look in your rear view mirror.

The only thing that you need to be careful of is bends in the road. Sometimes I find myself forgetting the trailer is behind me and I get close to the white line when the road bends to the right and I look in my side view mirror and the trailer tires are almost off the road. But I have yet to have any issues at all with towing.

Heck every time but the 1st time I've had to back it down my driveway, I've been able to do it in one try which I'm really impressed about lol. I find the bigger the trailers are, they easier they are to tow, especially when backing up because you can't overcorrect so quickly (trailer is slow to respond one direction or the other). Try backing up a snowmobile trailer and you are constantly turning the wheel left, then right, then left, then right, then left, then right and then you found you've only gone back 20 feet lol.

Lastly, with a 5th wheel, you can turn your truck 90 degrees or close to it for some tight turns or U-turns. Can't do that with a bumper pull..

We were TT people and now we are on our first trip out with our 32' 2015 Wildcat. Installed is a Reese Goosebox, so that it would be compatible with the Flip Ball in my truck. The Goosebox has air chambers, where you can add air up to 50PSI. However, still feeling a bit of jerking as we pull. Is this jerking or bucking normal ?
TxBgWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBgWood View Post
We were TT people and now we are on our first trip out with our 32' 2015 Wildcat. Installed is a Reese Goosebox, so that it would be compatible with the Flip Ball in my truck. The Goosebox has air chambers, where you can add air up to 50PSI. However, still feeling a bit of jerking as we pull. Is this jerking or bucking normal ?

There are times when mine "pulses". Kinda like brake on brake off etc. I blame it on the wind. I have tried to watch while towing(without dying) to see flex in the frame/pin box. I just assume it is air. It did it with a GN adapter and with the 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #19

If there's room to back it in and room to turn corners it's nice. Watch for low trees, low bridges, Hard to see back there in the dark backing ok during the day. Wind doesn't bother you like a TT does. Keep tires checked, make sure your Jack and lug tool fit, carry a road side safety kit with you.
Happy Camping. Taking ours for a 800 miles round trip Thursday.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #20

Whenever I'm on a country road or in a park I constantly look for tree limbs near the side of the road and especially those over head. It's easy to hit those that are over head, luckily I've avoided them so far.
Congrats and enjoy it.

Tags
towing