Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

Tunnels and propane tanks

I just read an old thread about propane tanks and driving through tunnels. So far, we have not gone anywhere with the tanks turned on, and we have not gone through any tunnels. We will be traveling to VA Beach this summer and are wondering about the proper protocol. It sounds like you always have to stop and have someone check to see that the tanks on the TT are not in the 'on' position - is that true?

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the tunnels in the Hampton Roads are like that. A VDOT worker will take down your license plate number, and then ask if your tanks are off. They may not even ask to check if you tell them they are off...they didn't a couple of weeks ago when I went through. Sometimes, they want to check anyway.

We usually stop at the Williamsburg rest area for a pit stop, and I will cut the tanks off there. On the way back, I cut the tanks off when leaving the campground, and then cut them back on at the next stop after the tunnel. If you need to, you can cut the tanks off there at the VDOT check station.

There is marked pull-off before every tunnel where you need to stop.

I will cut my fridge off at the panel 1st to save it trying to reignite the flame....unsuccessfully.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #3

I went thru there last weekend without the 5er and they will stop you before the tunnel if you don't stop. Remember to stay in the right lane as posted. The inspection stations is easy to get in and out. Have a nice visit.
waroland is offline   Reply With Quote