Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
WFD

Turn your water off!!

Camped this week, and upon returning back to our unit today, I noticed water gushing out from underneath our neighbour's unit, from many different areas, and they were not around. So I shut the spigot off leading into their unit, and left them a note. It was 4 hours later before they returned. Turns out their little boy washed his hands before they left and didn't fully shut the water faucet...their grey tank filled up and then overflowed, flooding the trailer...what a mess...they packed up tonight and went home. Simple solution, when leaving your RV, shut the water supply off at the spigot.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #2

I do that religiously. A couple of years ago, we were all sitting around the campfire, when in the midst of frivolity, I distinctly heard running water. What???? I hear running water pouring from under the camper. Go inside, water is running out of the bathroom, down the stairs of our fiver. The piping to the toilet had broken and it was a water fountain in the bath! I leave the trailer for any length of time, the water supply gets shut off. Lesson learned! !

Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
Site Team

We NEVER leave either the water pump or faucet on, if we leave the trailer for an extended time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

A habit I have started as well after many horror stories being posted.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
B47

Call it whatever you like,but I turn off our house water supply at the street meter whenever we are going to be gone for more than 3 days. Yeah I know I could get a leak in a shorter time than 3 days,but I just feel better for doing this.

I have heard that in some communities/cities/towns it is illegal for a homeowner to do this and that communities make it illegal for stores to sell "curb keys"- those steel devices that have an "U" shape on one end that makes it easier to turn the main water valve on and off. I brought mine at my local Lowes.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #6

Do you turn the water off at night?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #7

A good reminder that can save you a lot of grief.
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

Most of the "Silent Damage" is caused by "City Water" you can be Home and Not realize Water is "Everywhere"! If you are in your RV with the Pump On and have a Flood,you have a" VERY Silent Pump"! The Only 100% is Pump and Hydrant OFF,BUT if you have a Pressure Bladder Tank,ALL Bets are OFF! Youroo!!
Old 06-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #9

Being Disturbed while Setting Up Camp by "Drinking Neighbors" then Making the Mistake of "Joining Them" can also lead to a "RV Waterfall Situation"! If you doubt what I say just ask "AQUAMAN"! Youroo!!
Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #10
Berkshire 390QS

At our home we had a plumber install a water shut off between the meter and house so we can turn water off when we leave. Water company didn't like us turning water off at meter.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Call it whatever you like,but I turn off our house water supply at the street meter whenever we are going to be gone for more than 3 days. Yeah I know I could get a leak in a shorter time than 3 days,but I just feel better for doing this.

I have heard that in some communities/cities/towns it is illegal for a homeowner to do this and that communities make it illegal for stores to sell "curb keys"- those steel devices that have an "U" shape on one end that makes it easier to turn the main water valve on and off. I brought mine at my local Lowes.

We would do that, too, but our daughter lives down the street so comes and checks on the house whenever we're out camping.

A few years ago, our neighbor went on vacation to Minnesota and when they returned they found their kitchen flooded. A pipe underneath the sink had burst. It cost them $10,000 to have their oak floors removed and replaced. (Now, they turn off the water to the house and give me a spare key and I go in every few days and just check on things.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
Comox Valley RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
We would do that, too, but our daughter lives down the street so comes and checks on the house whenever we're out camping.

A few years ago, our neighbor went on vacation to Minnesota and when they returned they found their kitchen flooded. A pipe underneath the sink had burst. It cost them $10,000 to have their oak floors removed and replaced. (Now, they turn off the water to the house and give me a spare key and I go in every few days and just check on things.)
I remember as a kid, when we'd head out on vacation for a couple weeks my parents would give house keys to the next door neighbor to keep an eye on things for us. One summer when we returned home we found all of our canned goods in the pantry had labels removed and cans randomly placed on shelves. We had "surprise" for dinner every night after that for two weeks.

Yes, there was payback later on.
Canuckshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
Canadian Member

What do you guys in the U.S. have for a shut off for the house?? Up here we have a valve inside the house immediately before the water meter. Homeowners don't have a key for the "curb stop" valve that's 5' below the surface.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Camped this week, and upon returning back to our unit today, I noticed water gushing out from underneath our neighbour's unit, from many different areas, and they were not around. So I shut the spigot off leading into their unit, and left them a note. It was 4 hours later before they returned. Turns out their little boy washed his hands before they left and didn't fully shut the water faucet...their grey tank filled up and then overflowed, flooding the trailer...what a mess...they packed up tonight and went home. Simple solution, when leaving your RV, shut the water supply off at the spigot.
Good idea. We "try" to remember to do that when we are away from camp more than a few minutes.
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
What do you guys in the U.S. have for a shut off for the house?? Up here we have a valve inside the house immediately before the water meter. Homeowners don't have a key for the "curb stop" valve that's 5' below the surface.
AFAIK curb keys aren't issued to homeowners here in the U.S.. I brought mine at my local Lowes. I would prefer to have a setup like yours if I understand you correctly as I wouldn't have to go to the street curb to turn the water off/on.

Perhaps you have a basement that the valve is located when you say it's "inside the house". I live in North Texas and basements aren't usually found in homes here.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #16

water shut off

Quote:
We have a plastic (concrete in older areas) box in the ground with a brass shutoff valve about 10 feet from the curb, I don't need tools for the one by our latest house, can turn it off by hand. But a lot of times you need a wrench or rod.

I've never heard of any companies not wanting us to turn it off!

And I'm glad we read this- we always leave our water on even when gone SeaDooing all day! I will try to remember this...
CA2FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
We have a shut-off in our basement, where the water comes into the house from the city line. We always shut it off when we leave for a week or more.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #18

Good idea but I do not think that many do it.

When hooked up I leave my grey water valve open.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #19
Prime Member

I leave my gray valve open when I have a sewer connection.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control

Forever in my memory and in my heart. Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #20

When we still had the house/farm we always turned the water off in the house after an old copper pipe blew under the kitchen sink and now in the rv we never leave the place with the water or the pump on, period. We also have a couple of these little water alarms placed in strategic locations throughout the rv, just in case.

Tags
water