Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Tv suggestion

My TT came with a small plain TV. It also has a wineguard roof antenna and a built in booster. It wouldnt pick up squat. I have been on satellite so long I forgot that the airways went completely digital a few years ago. I'm thinking of getting a 19" class flat LCD to fit in the 21" space provided. These new TVs have built-in digital receivers. I also read good things about the wineguard wingman attachment. I said all that to ask this. On the 12v/120v issue. Does the plug in for my TV power put out either, depending on weather I'm hooked up to power? Is it necessary to by a TV that runs on both? Will the sound come through the speakers from the concertone. Does anyone have good luck with reception using this type of setup.? Any recommendations on a good low priced TV?

jedagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
The only thing I have dealt with personally is the wingman attachment. It didn't pull any more channels in, but it did seem to get a stronger recepetion from the ones I was already receiving. Took lomger to climb up and down the tt than it did to install it.

Hope that helps you some. I'm not sure about the 12v/120v issue. Never had to deal with it and never really thought about it. I know there will be others on here that can answer your question.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
The Wingman works good for us. I think it picked up 2 more channels with our camper sitting in the driveway. Some channels that would pixelate got better also. Beware, you need ~8" of clearance on the non-post side of your antennae for the Wingman.

If you now have an analog TV, you can get a digital converter and still use that TV. We did that for a while before we bought or 12 volt flat screen/DVD TV. The anolog TV with the digital converter actually did a better job of reception than our new flat screen. It would pick something like 23 channels sitting in the driveway. I was so impressed with the reception, that I did away with cable in the house and went with OTA is free !! I can't get as many channels in the house as in the camper, as I don't have a way to rotate my home directional antennae like I can do in the camper. In regards to that matter, the Winegard is directional........I do a channel check about every 120 degrees, and that seems to pick up most available channels.

On the voltage question: I had to install a 12 volt wall plug near our TV, but leave the TV hooked up to that all of the time. I don't use the 110 volt plug on our TV.....just an extra wire to contend with. If we are dry camping we can't use 110 volts, and if we have hookups, the 12 volt still works just fine.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
To answer your question, IF your original TV was like mine, it works on 12v DC. EVEN when you are plugged in to 110 outside power to your camper. The trailer's power converter takes in the 110 VAC and "converts" it to DC 12v power for the TV, and many other things on your camper, except for the microwave and the air conditioning. In order to continue this setup with a new TV, you have to get a 12 volt TV, available on e bay, same as what truckers use, and campers. You will find that they are a bit more expensive than your local Wal mart TV's, however. In order to change this setup to 110 volt, you simply need to run a power wire and plug it in to an AC 110 volt receptacle. Most don't have one nearby, however. If you dry camp often, you may want to stay with a 12 volt TV, if not, then a normal TV will do for you, or, you can always use a generator!! Randy
/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper
You could just use a small inverter and plug it into the 12v power port by the entertainment center if you have one, then you can use a std 110v LCD or LED TV. you could probably get away with a 150 watt inverter to power a small TV. Our new V-Lite does not have a 12v port so I bought the stuff to add one for 10 bux I think it was.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Not such a Junior anymore
Being a new TT owner and expecting more dry camping than not, I opted to get a TV with the most efficient power rating I could find. Found a Vizio LCD 26" model that used less juice than most others I could find at Costco. (Energy Star Ratings are one thing, the actual draw is most important rating to compare).

With Vizio, and a 12v-110 converter ($15 special), it works great. Tv & antenna booster draw about 4 amps combined. If I add the Jensen head unit, another 2 amps is active.

I would add up the draw from your analog TV, plus the booster and a Digital Converter to see if it's as efficient as a newer tv alone, particulary if dry camping.

Reception and picture quality is outstanding, and I did add the Wing-thing. Even in Lake Tahoe, I can pick up some Reno stations, and at most of our visited camp sites, I was able to pick up a local or two.

Dave & Tami
Borwick is offline   Reply With Quote