Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #1

Underbelly storage

Enjoy seeing other RV'ers upgrades so would like to share one of ours.
We do a mix of full hook up, partial and boon docking.
We stored our sewer hose fittings and macerating pump in a bin in the storage compartment of our RV. Wasn't comfortable with this so came up with a solution that works for us (had a long Canadian winter to think about it).
Made two underbelly storage compartments.
Used 1"x3/4" aluminum channel , aluminum rivets, self tapping screws and two large mixing tubs for extra storage of items we do not care if they get wet or dusty.
Only four screws used to mount on RV frame so easy removal if we need to access underbelly.
We use small linch pins to secure bins in place for travel and easy access.
Drilled four 1/2" holes in each tub for water drainage.
Upgrade cost was about $70.00 and well worth it.
Have tested the new storage at highway speeds on many trips (some heavy rain), pleasantly surprised. Items stay dry and bins did not move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5731.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	208895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5734.JPG
Views:	815
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	208896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5741.JPG
Views:	758
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	208897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5744.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	208898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5747.JPG
Views:	699
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	208899  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5745.JPG
Views:	752
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	208900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5748.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	208901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5750.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	208902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5751.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	208903  
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #2

Our 2007 Jayco had similar setup in the Pantry for storage. How do you lock them in place to keep from sliding out on the road ? Do they fill with water if traveling in rain or sitting at CG ??
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Our 2007 Jayco had similar setup in the Pantry for storage. How do you lock them in place to keep from sliding out on the road ? Do they fill with water if traveling in rain or sitting at CG ??
Have not had them fill with water on trips with heavy rain. In fact, had an item in a paper bag in the bin the bag did not get wet. Not sure what CG is?? If CG means Campground then no. When Bins are closed they are behind rain drip line.
Have 1/8" linch pins installed to keep bins in place,like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Forney-61352-L...%2C493&sr=8-32
Old 07-04-2019, 12:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie M View Post
Have not had them fill with water on trips with heavy rain. In fact, had an item in a paper bag in the bin the bag did not get wet. Not sure what CG is?? If CG means Campground then no. When Bins are closed they are behind rain drip line.
Have 1/8" linch pins installed to keep bins in place,like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Forney-61352-L...%2C493&sr=8-32
If your big on security you can use pad locks rather than linch pins.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:46 AM   #5

I hope 4 screws is enough to keep that attached. What are they drilled into?

I would hate to see one of those coming at me at 70 mph, when I’m on my motorcycle.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #6

Great idea and well done. I will be measuring up my tt to see if I can copy.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I hope 4 screws is enough to keep that attached. What are they drilled into?

I would hate to see one of those coming at me at 70 mph, when I’m on my motorcycle.
Took me a while to respond...churned on your comment.
I too am an avid biker as noted in my profile, and as you, am concerned of all the road hazards.
If you read my original post, I have put many miles on the new storage set up in heavy rains before sharing.
Since this post, they have gone through mud and shearing winds. Bins and rails are secure.
The bins are used frequently and rails checked before each travel (like everything else, on a lengthy checklist).
The bin rails are secured into the frame as noted in the OP. Due to the rails being aluminum, the tapping screws and rails have a barrier of rubber to prevent corrosion (aluminum and steel do not like each other).
If it makes you feel better, I built this added storage on my Construction and Millwright Trades.
I was just wanting to share our storage option with the group. It is working well for us.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
Great idea and well done. I will be measuring up my tt to see if I can copy.
Any questions let me know.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:44 AM   #9

This is a great idea! I will be borrowing this from you.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #10

Nice idea.
ray98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:28 PM   #11

Fall 2020 update

This added storage has not failed us.
When winterizing the RV I went through everything and this added storage system was on the list. Still as secure as when it was installed.
Found travelling in rain was not much of an issue in the bins but on dry days dust was. Good thing we only keep stuff in the bins we are not concerned of if they get wet or dusty.
We keep the sewer fittings and flush lines on the tank drain side.
At the campground we clean the other bin to store outside stuff that we use regularly when camping.
Could have built this system to have bins with lids but find what we have suits our purpose.
Lippert now sells a system like this https://store.lci1.com/standard-doub...em-175180.html.
Our $70.00 system works well for us.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #12

Great idea! Thanks for sharing
Mike60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
David “Red” Cross

Underbelly storage

We’ve toy’d around with similar ideas. I really like what you have done. Looks simple, secure and cost effective. Awesome job.
Red Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #14

What are the 2 braces (pic# 3) made of?
SPS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS57 View Post
What are the 2 braces (pic# 3) made of?
Understand how the pic is confusing.
The 2 cross braces in the pic are painted black from a previous project.
They are the same size and material as the mounting rails. 1"x3/4" aluminum.
In that pic you will see the 4 mounting tabs. They are the same material as the rails and cross braces (tabs riveted to rail). I made a hole on one side of each tab for mounting to the frame and a hole on other side of each tab large enough for a fastener driver.
Remember aluminum and steel are not friends.
I use aluminum on aluminum and when mounting aluminum to steel, painted or not, I will place an isolator (use rubber from an old boot, tire tube, foam or whatever that will hold up to the elements).
Another tip is when you place your cross rails ensure your storage bins will be behind the drip line of the RV.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Took me a while to respond...churned on your comment.
The bin rails are secured into the frame as noted in the OP. Due to the rails being aluminum, the tapping screws and rails have a barrier of rubber to prevent corrosion (aluminum and steel do not like each other).
If it makes you feel better, I built this added storage on my Construction and Millwright Trades.
I was just wanting to share our storage option with the group. It is working well for us.
Great Idea, however, rubber washers will not prevent the corrosion you're talking about. It's called bimetallic corrosion and happens because of the valence state difference between the aluminum ions on the channel and screws and the ferrous ions in the steel frame. Auto makers have been dealing with this for years since the introduction of the fiberglass bodied Corvettes. You need a sacrificial anode (just like in your water heater). I would highly recommend you use a zinc plated or coated fastener. this is the industry standard for sacrificial anode corrosion protection.

(In my working career, I was a development chemist for an international company which developed and patented fastener coatings for the automotive, aviation, and marine industries. )
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Great Idea, however, rubber washers will not prevent the corrosion you're talking about. It's called bimetallic corrosion and happens because of the valence state difference between the aluminum ions on the channel and screws and the ferrous ions in the steel frame. Auto makers have been dealing with this for years since the introduction of the fiberglass bodied Corvettes. You need a sacrificial anode (just like in your water heater). I would highly recommend you use a zinc plated or coated fastener. this is the industry standard for sacrificial anode corrosion protection.

(In my working career, I was a development chemist for an international company which developed and patented fastener coatings for the automotive, aviation, and marine industries. )
Oxcamper,
This is what I enjoy about this forum. Learn something new every day.
My previous experience was in an industry of aluminum, stainless, hastelloy, titanium, nickel, tungsten and galvanised steel.
Amongst a few other things, we always kept a barrier of rubber or grease between aluminum and steel.
My under belly storage rails are anodized aluminum https://www.anodizing.org/page/what-is-anodizing
Checked my fasteners and they are plated steel so will source zinc fasteners as you suggest but have not seen any degrade from what I have installed over the past year. Will switch to zinc fasteners to keep others safe.
Even with the rails being anodized I will keep the rubber/isolators in place.
These bins have been great. Especially for the sewer fittings and flush hose that I do not want in the storage bay.
Living side bin is used for light stuff when travelling then what we use regularly at the campground.
Thank you for your advice.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Oxcamper,
My previous experience was in an industry of aluminum, stainless, hastelloy, titanium, nickel, tungsten and galvanised steel.
Amongst a few other things, we always kept a barrier of rubber or grease between aluminum and steel.
My under belly storage rails are anodized aluminum https://www.anodizing.org/page/what-is-anodizing
Checked my fasteners and they are plated steel so will source zinc fasteners as you suggest but have not seen any degrade from what I have installed over the past year. Will switch to zinc fasteners to keep others safe.
These bins have been great. Especially for the sewer fittings and flush hose that I do not want in the storage bay.
Living side bin is used for light stuff when travelling then what we use regularly at the campground.
Oxcamper, do you have experience with Anodized Aluminum?
Old 01-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #19
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Oxcamper, do you have experience with Anodized Aluminum?
In what regards?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 01-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #20
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Oxcamper,

The corrosion takes a while to be structurally detrimental, and is accelerated by the environment you live/travel in. Salt, calcium chloride, potassium chloride, and moisture i.e. road salt, greatly accelerates the problem.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade

Tags
storage, underbelly