Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #41

I agree, but I just bought a new TT, and it has auto level. The first thing it does after the stabilizer have weight of trailer is pull up the tongue jack.
RockingE Flagstaff 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #42
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I have a 26' Mini Lite with a bunkhouse in the rear and queen bed in the front. I put my stabilizers on 4x6 blocks, chock each side really well, use the x-chocks between the tires on each side, and have a step stabilizer in place. I still get lots of movement when the kids move around in their bunks.

Clearly, the $260+ options for JT Strongarm and equivalent are probably the best solution, as it puts a series of triangular reinforcements in key spots. If I camped for weeks at a time, I'd probably suck it up and spend the $$. But, I only camp for 2-4 nights per outing. I can live with the bounce, as I have other cash needs.

So, that puts me into the sub-$100 shopping mode, knowing that these will all be some compromise.

I will probably go with the Valterra stabilizer route, though two are recommended. Trapezoid isn't as strong as a triangle, but it gets pretty good reviews. At $40 each, it fits my tight budget.

The BAL 23216 Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar posted above also looks interesting ... sort of a singular approach to the strongarm et al. design. About the same as the Valterra at $76 for a pair.

Decision time ...

BTW, here is a pic of the Valterra design:
On our trailers, I used the Valterras like above, x-chocks on both sides and a step stabilizer under the bottom step. With a 300+ son walking around, we had very little movement in our Roo and the Flagstaff.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Agreed.

Xchocks make a world of difference. They are currently $68 a pair on Amazon. Worth every penny for the gain in stability.
I have these and is there some trick other than re-tightening a little after the tires cool? I honestly can't tell a difference if they're off or on when my older daughter moves around. She's trailer shaker. Her bunk is in the rear.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #44

If you install strongarms of lock arms on a travel trailer, what is the arrangement? A lot of the videos always. Talk about 5th wheels and show the front landing gear having two arms coming off but don't really talk about the rear. If I put them on my trailer, where would I put them?
bigmurph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
If you install strongarms of lock arms on a travel trailer, what is the arrangement? A lot of the videos always. Talk about 5th wheels and show the front landing gear having two arms coming off but don't really talk about the rear. If I put them on my trailer, where would I put them?
The JT Strong-arms have a specific kit for TTs and comes with instructions on how to install them. There's 2 that go in the rear, and 4 up front.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1812.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	181049
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	181050
Old 07-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #46
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Being up side down should really stabilize your trailer
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #47

Lol, may be hard to balance on the a.c. and vents though. We have been traveling for a couple weeks and the last week we have had my niece along with our two kids and a dog shaking the trailer all day. These are looking like a good investment.
bigmurph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #48

I just sold my 2013 Rockwood 2909ss. I had the same problem you are experiencing. For me it didn't matter what procedure I followed with the jacks (No, I never lifted the tongue jack off it's block) or how big of a block I put under them the camper still had a lot of shake. As a lot of people recommended I first used x-chocks which helped. But what ultimately helped the most was 4 screw up jacks positioned in front and behind the wheels. These campers are too flimsy to stabilize them using the factory jacks at the ends of the unit.
utah_utrup is offline   Reply With Quote