Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Walkie Talkies

Kinda a tip? What we use that works terrific.

If you need to communicate when backing to hook up, or spot the trailer in a campsite, if cell phones cell service isnt good... we use walkie talkies.

There are too many to choose from so I can tell you the ones we got that work great.

Motorola Talkabout T460.

FRS/GMRS two way radios.

We use em for a lot of uses, even when leveling the trailer with no yelling back and forth.

Wife or I inside the trailer watching a carpenters level on the floor and the other outside working the tongue jack to level.

You can whisper into the radios and it comes through loud and clear.

Works on rechargeable batts or 3 AA's.

We use the 3AA's, and just keep a fresh pack of batts with the radios.

All kinds of talk about the range of hand helds out there... I was skeptical, but these things have crazy good range.

I have taken a bike ride in a wooded campground and have been 1 mile away from the trailer and can easily talk to the bride back in the trailer.

All the range we need...

We have tried all the above with our cell phones, but when in an area with poor cell power, phones are a source of aggravation.

Might help you out if you have thought about a small 2 way radio.

The bands these use may require a license... So,... yeah I am gonna look into that. In the meantime they work great!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Take it easy,but take it

walkie talkies

Weuse them as well.Backing up and leveling couldnt be easier!! IF my DW would learn to push the button to talk !!!
Nickrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #3

We use them also. BIL & SIL have the same kind. When traveling together the two women communicate with each other. Works great to let the other know need to get gas or take a break.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
Retired

Different approach:
My TV is Bluetooth ready so when backing into a site or our driveway DW communicates with me via the iPhone connection. This way the only thing in my hands is the steering wheel and I can fully concentrate on matters at hand....it works for us. Whatever system you use it sure beats hollering.
Happy Trails
Old 07-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Different approach:
My TV is Bluetooth ready so when backing into a site or our driveway DW communicates with me via the iPhone connection. This way the only thing in my hands is the steering wheel and I can fully concentrate on matters at hand....it works for us. Whatever system you use it sure beats hollering.
Happy Trails
My truck has Bluetooth. How would I get my phone to connect to it to talk to me while I am in the truck and wife is at rear of camper?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #6

We use Walkie Talkies too for backing in. Sometimes we travel with another couple and they have them too. It really makes the time go by fast traveling down the road while talking with your buddy.
RobH063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #7

This is all I imagine when it comes to walkie talkies, lol.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #8

We tried two different types of radios. GF's long fingernails have trouble with the push to talk button. We tried cell phones. We tried hand signals.

To save our friendship, I just get out and look for myself.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:53 PM   #9

Just to add my experience I use walkie talkies about 60 hours a week at work (I work in film). Those are always rented so I do not own and have access to those at home. We bought a pair of "Family band" walkie talkies and between their poor ergonomics (PTT in the middle of a bunch of buttons, not on the edge) their mediocre sound, low volume followed by a LOUD beep every time you transmit (WHY!?) we returned them after one try.
Our current method is for her to be on the phone and for me to be on speakerphone in the cradle so we have full duplex speech and I don't have to look for a PTT or worry that she's trying to tell me to STOP but I can't hear her because I'm already talking. I'm sure we will run into the occasional place where cell service prevents this method from working so we know the phone isn't the perfect solution, but compared to these walkie talkies, hand signals and plain old yelling were better.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:33 AM   #10

We use Marriage Savers--- I mean, Walkie Talkies too... only problem is getting the DW to push the PTT **and THEN** start talking...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:00 AM   #11

We started with phones but by time the signal goes up to the satellite and back to my phone DW is screaming and I've backed into the tree. Now we use walkie talkies and and I hear her instantly. She screams a lot less.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Just to add my experience I use walkie talkies about 60 hours a week at work (I work in film). Those are always rented so I do not own and have access to those at home. We bought a pair of "Family band" walkie talkies and between their poor ergonomics (PTT in the middle of a bunch of buttons, not on the edge) their mediocre sound, low volume followed by a LOUD beep every time you transmit (WHY!?) we returned them after one try.
Our current method is for her to be on the phone and for me to be on speakerphone in the cradle so we have full duplex speech and I don't have to look for a PTT or worry that she's trying to tell me to STOP but I can't hear her because I'm already talking. I'm sure we will run into the occasional place where cell service prevents this method from working so we know the phone isn't the perfect solution, but compared to these walkie talkies, hand signals and plain old yelling were better.

You’ve gotten the wrong walk-in talkies for you and your wife. DW and I have a pair of Motorola’s we’ve been using and the PTT button is on the edge. Easy to identify by touch.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a couple of FRS/GMRS radios back when we first started out, and only ever tried to use them once. I've found it's easier to back in by just making sure I can see DW, and have learned to gauge how close I am to something by how tightly she cringes. Radios don't work. Phones don't work. Yelling doesn't work. Hand signals don't work. But cringe-gauging, that works.

Though now that the kids are getting old enough to head to the playground (if it's in sight) by themselves, it might be time to dust off the handhelds for keeping them in touch.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #14

We've owned a couple of Cobras for years and were really helpful when we were first starting out (learning to back in). We know a few other couples we sometimes camp with, but their site may be a ways away. We'll lend them one of our walkies so we can communicate back and forth.
When our kids were little they had a pair of cheap walkie talkies to play with and even they worked pretty good. Take one to the playground and we'd call them when lunch was ready or my daughter would call me to rat out her kid brother about something he was doing.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I bought a couple of FRS/GMRS radios back when we first started out, and only ever tried to use them once. I've found it's easier to back in by just making sure I can see DW, and have learned to gauge how close I am to something by how tightly she cringes. Radios don't work. Phones don't work. Yelling doesn't work. Hand signals don't work. But cringe-gauging, that works.

Though now that the kids are getting old enough to head to the playground (if it's in sight) by themselves, it might be time to dust off the handhelds for keeping them in touch.
Cringe-gauging...pure genius.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #16

backing

Like leveling there are a few ground rules, and basic knowledge required to get a good result with the least amount of curse words.
1. Engage in conversation when NOT trying to back in, as to what signals are going to be used. Closed fist is stop. Stop dead, right there, that instant in time. STOP.
2. Fingers pinching slowly,: Getting close, keep coming a tiny bit.
3. Palm up, fingers beckoning: Come on back.
4. Palms facing each other, closing together slowly: about that far to contact.
Before actually pulling into the spot, driver gets out and surveys the spot. Points to potential problems and identifies them to ground guide. Points to areas driver won't be able to see. Points to spot he wants to end up (My tires right there or Rear of trailer right there).
Ground guide chooses a spot by mutual agreement, where they can see the driver in the mirror at ALL times. MOVE to stay in mirror. Change sides as needed but inform driver and make sure he sees you in mirror before proceeding. STAY in the mirror. Use ONLY those hand gestures as agreed upon.
Any pointing for direction is always taken to mean intended direction of tail of trailer.
Ground guide should try backing in with guidance from driver a few times.
On stopping before driver gets out, do a quick eyeball of level. If he needs to pull up a bit for you to place boards or lift blocks, now is the time to say so, (Forward about 1 foot, so I can place a block under these tires). (OK, now back 1 foot, watch my hand)
We use our cell phones when we have signal. Driver is connected via Blue tooth to the car radio. Loud and clear.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #17

For the last 4 1/2 years I have been backing in my 36' TT alone and haven't hit a thing. Often enough I get some gent who wants to help, so I tell him to yell -just- before I hit something. Otherwise don't say a word. I have been known to get out and look several times so I don't hit anything. Works for me.
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:30 PM   #18

Nice Tips, hankpac
Good to make sure you're on the same page as your spotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
For the last 4 1/2 years I have been backing in my 36' TT alone and haven't hit a thing. Often enough I get some gent who wants to help, so I tell him to yell -just- before I hit something. Otherwise don't say a word. I have been known to get out and look several times so I don't hit anything. Works for me.
I hear that. I love when there are like 5 people who've never driven a trailer waving their hands like they're trying to take off and fly or so interperative dance.
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:16 PM   #19

We camped quite a few years when vacationing out west with our in-laws. It was so much fun as we used the cobra radios, and they just cussed and yelled at each other till they got backed in, or hooked up. We use them also when traveling with other family members on local trips. The radios have been a very good thing to have and use.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We have been using the walkie talkies for years. They work well. DH will tell me drivers side or passenger side to avoid confusion. He will say something like tree 3 feet back drivers side or go more passenger side. I make the decisions I need to based on that although to be honest I have usually started making any adjustments before he radios them to me. They are much better than arguing after you lose site of them in the mirror.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote