Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Walking uphill- landing gear bottomed out

So, fifth wheelers... What do you do when your landing gear won't retract far enough to get you level front to back? Because I was setting up in the rain, we're literally walking uphill in the camper.

Do I have to close everything up (slides in) and move myself on the site to where it's not so bad (or another sit entirely)?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #2

I am assuming that you have the extensions in the bottom hole....??

Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #3

How much further would you need them to go down to level out? Did you retract the gear as far as possible, then let the pin out and drop the gear as low as possible, than extend with power?

Have never had that problem before, but have had to follow the procedure above because I mis-calculated.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

The easiest way is to stick the truck back under the trailer and then lift the leg back into the solid tube about 5 or so holes and then power down the landing gear until it hits the ground. Then you will have more room to bring the front down.

Your space seems as though it is uphill?
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
The easiest way is to stick the truck back under the trailer and then lift the leg back into the solid tube about 5 or so holes and then power down the landing gear until it hits the ground. Then you will have more room to bring the front down.

Your space seems as though it is uphill?
Agree with Lynkage here....my original post was backwards (if you need to raise it, not lower it).
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

So, I want as little as possible inner leg out? I put wood blocks under them, but I don't think that accomplished what I was after.

So- let me rephrase in my simple terms:

- no/minimal wood/Lego blocks under the landing gear
- leave the inner leg sticking out as little as possible
- use the motor to lift the fifth wheel off the truck (I might die of old age first)
- use the motor to lower the fifth wheel back as low as it can go/is needed

I'm pretty off kilter- like a quarter of an inch on my 2' level inside the door on the floor.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #7

We have the same problem when visiting one of our relatives. If the inner leg is raised all the way up (as in towing mode) and the jack is fully retracted and you are only 1/4" off in two feet then I don't think you have anything to worry about. We have camped like that for over a week with no problems, just annoying walking/sleeping on an angle.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
We have the same problem when visiting one of our relatives. If the inner leg is raised all the way up (as in towing mode) and the jack is fully retracted and you are only 1/4" off in two feet then I don't think you have anything to worry about. We have camped like that for over a week with no problems, just annoying walking/sleeping on an angle.
I'm not worried about problems- well, my one bunkhouse slide stopped twice on the way out. Just not sure if it is related or not.

But- I'm definitely annoyed by it. Right now I plan on fixing it (or making it better). We'll see what tomorrow actually brings since I'm playing Mr. Mom!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Well, everyone else said it wasn't as bad as I'm imagining so we left it and played at the indoor pool instead!

But, if you can see it- you can see that my hanging door is hanging true and the wall is tilted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1297068632.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	28507

Obligatory pool pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2443457765.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	28508