Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #1

Wasp Nest in TT Heater Exhaust Vent

Any tips on how you may have dealt with this in the past? My DH wants to spray it, but I am afraid there are more wasps farther down the vent than we can see. I really don't want them to escape into the trailer, in case the heater has openings wide enough for them to move through. I can see the nest through the faceplate of the vent. Wish I had put a screen behind it before Spring. Would it work to just turn the heater on to make them uncomfortable and drive them away?
Utahn2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahn2018 View Post
Any tips on how you may have dealt with this in the past? My DH wants to spray it, but I am afraid there are more wasps farther down the vent than we can see. I really don't want them to escape into the trailer, in case the heater has openings wide enough for them to move through. I can see the nest through the faceplate of the vent. Wish I had put a screen behind it before Spring. Would it work to just turn the heater on to make them uncomfortable and drive them away?

First KILL them . then fish out the nest . then fire up furnace . if it has problems lighting or staying lit then you'll need to remove furnace and look for more nests
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

After you have killed them and eliminated their nest, go to your local RV shop and purchase one of those cheap little screens made specially for TT heater vents so they don't return.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Turning on the heater will certainly drive them out if they are in the exhaust and not the intake. Then you can remove the nest with a straightened coat hanger or something like that. They won't last long with the heat that comes out the flue pipe.

They cannot get into your R/V from the intake/exhaust. It is a sealed combustion chamber.

I have successfully sprayed them but I then waited a while for the spray to dry before firing up the furnace.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #5

If the wasps can get into your trailer, you need a new furnace. The burner compartment should be completely sealed and closed off from the trailer. Otherwise you will be exposed to carbon monoxide which can kill you.

If you really don't want to use wasp killer first, use a shop vac to suck them out of the vent. I'd do this at dusk so that they have all returned home. Be careful when you open up the shop vac! They won't be very happy.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

I've seen wasp nest from the exhaust all the way through the combustion chamber into the combustion air blower wheel and all around the gas valve where a plastic ring around the gas line should prevent them from getting in the unit
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
If the wasps can get into your trailer, you need a new furnace. The burner compartment should be completely sealed and closed off from the trailer. Otherwise you will be exposed to carbon monoxide which can kill you.

If you really don't want to use wasp killer first, use a shop vac to suck them out of the vent. I'd do this at dusk so that they have all returned home. Be careful when you open up the shop vac! They won't be very happy.
If using a shop-vac, empty it first then place a few crumpled paper towels in the bottom and dowse them with "Bee Bopper". As soon as they hit the paper towels they are on their way to wasp heaven.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

I would not use wasp spray. Most are petroleum based and even though that is an exhaust vent, the vapors will travel.
claudew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #9

are they "Paper Wasps" who create lightweight paper like nests or "Mud Daubers" who create mud nests?

Paper Wasps can be cleaned out by lighting the furnace as suggested but Mud Daubers probably require removal and disassembly of the furnace.

On a previous camper I had a Mud Dauber nest on the squirrel cage on the blower. I had to disassemble the furnace to clean it out.

The addition of these screens has prevented them since.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-2-8-B...a024116bea4432

Tags
heater, vent