Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Wasps and Mud Daubers?

Does anyone have an idea of how to keep wasps and things out of the hot water exhaust. I know the "door" on the outside has a "screen" type opening where the exhaust goes out but wifey and I watched a wasp climb in through one of the holes. Any ideas??

Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

Do a search with these terms "camco flying insect screen"

Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Denver, CO

Stainless screen

JCJ Enterprises - Mud Dauber Screens and Other Recreational Vehicle Accessories
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Look at these. They have all kinds and for many manufacturers:

Mud Dauber Screens to Protect RV Furnaces - PPL Motor Homes
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

Just installed one of those on the furnace exhaust. Took 5 minutes. However wonder if the OP actually meant his HOT WATER exhaust? I could also see this happening in the fridge area. Would it be safe to back these covers with window screen?
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Do a search with these terms "camco flying insect screen"
I have also seen mud daubers crawl thru these and I have one on my furnace inlet/outlet. I put metal screen wire on all the rest of the openings including the covering the opening from the ac compressor to the coils. I plan on putting the metal screen on the furnace Camco screen.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #7

I never heard of a "mud dauber" until we got into RVing. What do they look like, and what parts of the US & Canada do they hang out in? Around here, the closest thing is probably Yellow Jacket wasps. We have a couple of other kinds of wasps here, but the Yellow Jackets are really prevalent in the summer. I don't think they get into RVs though??

Come to think of it, once in a rare while, I have seen what they seem to call here, a mud wasp's nest. Haven't seen one right on or in any kind of a vent though.

My dad always used to say "never poke at a wasps nest." Decades later, I still haven't learned that. Owwww..... Spray from 20' away seems to work better.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I never heard of a "mud dauber" until we got into RVing. What do they look like, and what parts of the US & Canada do they hang out in? Around here, the closest thing is probably Yellow Jacket wasps. We have a couple of other kinds of wasps here, but the Yellow Jackets are really prevalent in the summer. I don't think they get into RVs though??

Come to think of it, once in a rare while, I have seen what they seem to call here, a mud wasp's nest. Haven't seen one right on or in any kind of a vent though.

My dad always used to say "never poke at a wasps nest." Decades later, I still haven't learned that. Owwww..... Spray from 20' away seems to work better.
Mud wasp is probably the same thing. Make long tubular mud homes instead of the commonly seen nests.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #9

I enjoy turning on the appliance when I see one enter!!

Last year they were living in a light can on the outside of my shop, went out one night and covered and tied it off with a garbage bag. That'll learn ya!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #10

Okay, Google says that there are many types of mud daubers. The nests that I have seen are more like small roundish piles of mud about 3" or so across. They don't seem to be much of a problem in southwest BC in my experience.

The worst wasps I have encountered are on southern Vancouver Island in forested areas. They are quite small and like to live in the ground in rotten old logs and tree stumps. If you walk near a nest and disturb them, or not, they are very aggressive and will attack you. The stings hurt like heck.

That reminds me, I need to get an ana-kit for the TT. I used to be severely allergic, but not that much in recent years. But I don't want to find out the hard way that I am more allergic than I thought. We always have antihistamine though. A wasp went inside a can of beer I was sipping outside once and it ended up in my mouth. Got a very swollen lip.... I always cover cans when outside in the summer time now.