Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
KAD

water filter bypass

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to bypass the fresh water filter assembly temporarily?
KAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

This is very easy to do. All I had to do was unscrew both fittings where the tubing is screwed into each side of the filter housing then get a 1/2 brass pipe coupling & screw the fitting into the coupling. The threads are the same as 1/2 pipe thus the need for the brass coupling. I removed my filter housing to make the installation easier. Have a friend whose tubing was long enough he could leave the filter housing in place.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Campfire Master

I used a water heater bypass kit from Camco. Just a flip of the lever routes the water through, or around the filter.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #4

I've been using the Wal*Wart ones for quite a few years, and am considering bypassing the one in my 'new' 342 and just using theirs.

Any pros or cons?

We've never had a skanky water problem, and I use water form my tank for the ice for my scotch, and it still tastes fine. Oh, I also make my coffee and my wife's gruel(oatmeal) with water from the tank. Never had a prob in many years' use, so I'm thinking about removing the filter and just using the 2-for-$17.99 jobbies from Wal*Mart.

What say Y'all?
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote