Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Water Heater bypass mode --- HELP!!

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!! Once AGAIn my hubby has turned on the water heater with NO water in the water heater tank.

I remove the cover plate to the water heater each time I have it in the bypass mode... NO WATER in the water heater tank. And yet almost every time he turns on the water heater and THEN asks if the water heater has water in it!
AAAARRRGGGHHHH "SCREAM"!!!!!

How can I get him to stop turning on the water eater without looking to see if it has water in it first?

Any one have a solution to cover the switches or something when it is in the bypass mode?

Please help!! I really do not want to have to get another water heater.
DESPERATE!!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!! Once AGAIn my hubby has turned on the water heater with NO water in the water heater tank.

I remove the cover plate to the water heater each time I have it in the bypass mode... NO WATER in the water heater tank. And yet almost every time he turns on the water heater and THEN asks if the water heater has water in it!

How can I get him to stop turning on the water eater without looking to see if it has water in it first?

Any one have a solution to cover the switches or something when it is in the bypass mode?

DESPERATE!!
Usually the water heater/WH is on it's own 120 volt AC electric circuit. Just turn off the circuit breaker in the distribution panel to it when winterizing.

That way he would have to turn on the circuit breaker and flip the switch. If he just flips the switch, there is no power to the electric heating element cause the circuit breaker is turned off. Simple. That will keep him from burning out an electric element.

If he turns on the propane side, that's different.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
wmtire --- DUH! why didn't I think of that? You are awesome! I will make a sign to attach to my bypass cover that says just that.

This way I will remember to flip it when I turn the water heater in the bypass mode to flip the breaker and do the reverse when i fill the water heater.

THANK YOU for your simple help!
(I learn something new every day.)

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:

DESPERATE!!
Since you seem to have a Major Issue with your other Person turning on the W/H with NO water in the Tank,just Put a "Small Padlock on the round Tab that keeps the Door closed"!You Keep the Key! If he Forces it Open after the Key Install,Call a Lawyer! Like they say "Three Strikes and your Out"! Youroo!!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:

DESPERATE!!
You do know that you don't need another water heater, just another heating element, right?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

A trick that I have used was to cover the water heater breaker is to cover with a piece of masking tape as a reminder. Remove the tape after filling tank and checking. Next trip after coming in, just turn switch off and cover with another piece of tape. A while ago, I forgot to cover the inside breaker switch with tape after bypassing the heater and draining. Flipped the inside panel circuit breaker switch, and after about 5 minutes, I said "oops". But I got lucky and turned off the switch on the outside on water heater after draining. I guess I will have to add this tape on switch to my "to do" list.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

also.... turn the switch off
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
itch'n to road trip

bikedan -- I think luckily the water heater was on just for a few seconds. HOPEFULLY we are ok. Keep your fingers crossed.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
bikedan -- I think luckily the water heater was on just for a few seconds. HOPEFULLY we are ok. Keep your fingers crossed.
It only takes seconds....

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

I have have made that mistake in the past, the time it takes to realize that you did it is equal to the time it takes for the heating element to burn up LOL

I just rack it up to us men learn by our mistakes (or 2)
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #11

Switch on heater, padlock, circuit breaker, close bed against breaker panel cover and ballpeen hammer.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
itch'n to road trip

Ok so let's sad the electric heating element is cooked.
On a scale of 1 (easy) to 5 (pro to do repair it)....
how hard is it to replace an electric heating element?

I am a woman a little smarter than the average bear. ( no smart comments from the peanut gallery!)

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

Not too difficult. Turn power off/propane. You will have to remove part of the gas feed(round tube) disconnect the wires on the electric hex thats under that tube. You will need a big socket and wrench to remove it. I have an RV hand book that does a good job explaining with pictures. This is all off the top of my head. Did that once, learned from my goof!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #14

Not difficult. Part may be available at Home Depot or Lowes. Needs 5 minutes work and as much over thinking as you like. Look for step-by-step videos on YouTube.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Usually the water heater/WH is on it's own 120 volt AC electric circuit. Just turn off the circuit breaker in the distribution panel to it when winterizing.

That way he would have to turn on the circuit breaker and flip the switch. If he just flips the switch, there is no power to the electric heating element cause the circuit breaker is turned off. Simple. That will keep him from burning out an electric element.

If he turns on the propane side, that's different.
Find the 12V wire that goes to the water heater igniter and disconnect it and/or turn the gas valve at the water heater to the off position.
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #16

I make a check list at the end of each trip. Anything that needs to be done before the next use and what ever needs to be replaced or added to the MH and tape it to the steering wheel.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #17

They sell 2 different heater elements, one is 115 vac and othr4 is 220vac. Your heater is 115 volts. make sure all power is removed before attempting.

Good Luck
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

campnqueen, my mother used to take a wooden spoon to my hand when I messed with something I shouldn't have. It seems you have to do the same.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #19

I don't know what model water heater I saw this on, but the water heater electric on-off switch had a small hole through it that you could insert something like a cotter pin through when it was in the off position. so when it is off you insert the cotter pin and when it is inserted it prevents the switch being moved to the on position. also, the electrical wires to the water heater thermostat are attached with terminal lug connectors. I have not done this, but I would think you could remove the rubber cover over the thermostat and remove on of the electrical leads. wouldn't this keep the electric element from getting any power?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #20
Just as confused as you

Suburban water heaters have a hole in the switch for a cotter pin.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass, heater, water, water heater