Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
Originally Posted by exscream View Post
to be fair to my wife, in our previous trailer, where we had the same water heater, we could both shower one after the other with no problems. I think that the shower head was more restricted though.
Have you checked to see if (maybe) the water heater by-pass valve(s) is not fully closed ?

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
Shower water shutoff

Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You could install a separate water shut off after the mixing valves from Home Depot etc as the shut-off on the shower head is a PITA to work.
I know this is an old post, but I just read it in a search... What are you referring to from Home Depot? Is it a regular plumbing item?

2016 Puma 30RLIS
2011 Catalina 19RD - totalled by hail
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Most RV water heater tanks are only a 6 gallons capacity. It has a recovery rate of 10.2 Gallons Per Hour using 12,000 BTUH input. The recovery rate using 120 Volt AC is 6 Gallons Per Hour or 16 plus Gallons Per Hour using both Electricity and Gas.

If you're not familiar with a Navy Shower, this is what has to be done, to utilize a water heater that size.

Remember, we're not at home with the conveniance of a 40 gal. quick-recovery water heater. We're camping !!!!!!

Navy Shower: Rinse yourself, shut water OFF, soap and lather yourself, turm water ON and rinse yourself. Turn water OFF so the next person will have water for their shower.

that answers one of my questions: on the home unit, a 40 gal hw heater is the amt of water it can heat in an hour. so the rv is acutally tank capacity?
in the rv, i have the larger hw heater and we have not run out of hw but it is just my wife and i.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
nope, i had that wrong. gal is tank capacity. apparently i saw one one time that had the same recovery and capacaty. so there isn't a difference in the way the rv hw heater and home hw heater is rated.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #15

Originally Posted by exscream View Post
In our Rockwood Mini Lite trailer we cannot take a full shower before the water gets cold. I have an electric and gas water heater. The gas kicks in too late, when the water is already too cold. The manual says that the temperature setting cannot be changed. Is there a way to adjust at what temperature the gas should start?
I also have a water heater that will run off of propane or an electric element. When I am at a CG I always use the electric heating element and it does the job quite well, why use your own propane when I can use the CG's power. I don't take showers in the TT but my wife and kids do and they say that it is great. I know they don't take long showers but they also don't get wet and shut the water off then wash and turn water back on to rinse off. It only takes about 10 min. to heat the 6 gal. tank up when I get set up on my site and I never fire the propane water tank heater at all and I always have HOT water. Just remember if you do this you have to make sure that there is water in the tank or you can burn the electric element out very quickly(30 seconds to 1 min.).

2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2003 F150 Heritage Edition
Ontario, Canada

shabby is offline   Reply With Quote