Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Western NY to Key West

Looking for suggestions for beach camping on our vaca-Western NY-Key West. Would love to be ON the beach. Thank you in advance.

bryanteddie0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Always Learning

Beverly Beach Camptown (I think that's the name) in Florida is on a sea wall facing the beach. Expensive, but looks nice.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

I would recommend the KOA in the obx well worth the drive ! PS a former western nyer !
Buffalo2VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Eddie, I've stayed at Beverly Beach and it' nice but not fancy and right on the beach. On the Gulf side try the Red Coconut in Fort Myers Beach - really pricey, but the spots on the beach are amazing. Be aware that you need to book a year in advance if you want to be "on" the beach, not near the beach. Peak season is from December to April, so plan ahead.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #5

Sugarloaf Key KOA
doc701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Weekender

A couple of nice spots; Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral. In the Keys there are are some on the water on the Atlantic side and the Gulf side. In Marathon, there is Jolly Roger Travel Park. You can park right on the seawall. There is also Curry Hammock State Park about 2 miles from Jolly Roger. It is Atlantic side with ocean sites available. And my favorite is Bluewater Key Resort. Pricey, but exclusive. Every site has a tiki and is very private, separated by tropical foilage. The have some on the Bay side or canal side. BTW, don't expect surf in the keys unless you are there during a hurricanne! :-) The keys are our favorite getaways every chance we get.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Roger and Paula

Second Sugarloaf Key. BTW, be careful of small independent parks down in the Keys. Not that they are dangerous but more than one is clothing optional' during the summer.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
Weekender

Which ones ?!? (Just kidding!)
BTW we always wear clothes where we go!
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

Sugarloaf Key KOA for sure!!
Also, I haven't been there but, I hear Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach is a great place.
Kim Berkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Bahia Honda State Park is our first choice, but is next to impossible to get a site. Sugarloaf KOA is also nice. We'd go back to either of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #11

For a remote beach experience and about a days drive from Key West on central Florida's east coast try Sebastian Inlet State Park or Brevard County Long Point Park Campground. both off A1A.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

If you have time to deviate from your route we highly recommend Camping on the Gulf in Destin. Make reservations for the water's edge. At high tide the water got within a few feet of our camper. Plus, you have the beautiful white sands of the gulf. There is also an outlet center within two miles of the campground.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #13

WOW, Destin is way off the track for a trip to Key West.

We loved Jolly Roger RV park, the people were great and they have made many improvements since we stayed 4 years ago. Be aware also that not all RV parks in the Keys have full hookups - one of the main reasons we did not stay at Knights Key was because of the reviews on how difficult it was to access the dump station.

The closest campground to Key West is Boyds, but it's on Stock Island, not Key West. The sites are small and can be difficult to get into with a larger rig.

If we ever make it down that way again with the RV, we will stay at the Sugarloaf KOA, though. Last I checked, they had a shuttle that runs into Key West.

Enjoy your trip! The Keys are my personal favorite destination. The picture in my signature is the 7 mile bridge as seen from a evening fishing charter boat.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote