Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Wet frig

Just got back from a four day trip and found everything in the frig wet. There is a tray under the fins with a small white wire or tube going somewhere. Is this some kind of drain? The bottom drawers were very wet. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #2

The drain line that comes standard is likely a corrugated white material that resembles wire loom. I just experienced the same issue because the hose was cracked and I found it was very brittle and not repairable. I bought a new hose and we'll see of that works.
Areid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgky View Post
Just got back from a four day trip and found everything in the frig wet. There is a tray under the fins with a small white wire or tube going somewhere. Is this some kind of drain? The bottom drawers were very wet. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Yes, the white tube leads through the rear wall to the space behind the fridge with the wiring and tubing. I should be directed to the outside louvered vent and allowed to drip on one of the louvers to drain outside the coach. It can leak within the fridge with your problem or behind the fridge causing outside wall issues. It should be directed to drip outside everything.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

Agreed, thought there should have been a hole in the base of the cabinet but couldn't find one. Push through the louvers to the outside.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #5

I discovered with my fridge recently on a trip that if the catch try is to far back the melt from the fins will miss the try. Water then ends up on the fridge floor.
pontiacgta2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

I installed small twin fans in front of the evaporator, this put a stop to most of the dripping and keeps the box at a much more even temp. Also installed two ball bearing computer fans in place of the fan that was making so much noise. 100+ outside, freezer stays at or near 0, box maintains 35* (O.C. mod)
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #7

There are 2 different systems 1 system has a drip tube that go's through the outside grill, the 2 system go's into a evaporation tray and just drys up behind the panel. If you you install circulation fan against the coils blowing you will lower the temp and kept the moisture down. How this is a OC'S idea is beyond me. They been selling battery or 12 volts fans for ever, to help this problem out.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
There are 2 different systems 1 system has a drip tube that go's through the outside grill, the 2 system go's into a evaporation tray and just drys up behind the panel. If you you install circulation fan against the coils blowing you will lower the temp and kept the moisture down. How this is a OC'S idea is beyond me. They been selling battery or 12 volts fans for ever, to help this problem out.
Nobody said that it was OC's idea, he did the mod and wrote about it. I read what he wrote and did the same mod that's all.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Nobody said that it was OC's idea, he did the mod and wrote about it. I read what he wrote and did the same mod that's all.
Stand corrected but it was just a mod he did and posted it which is good for all of us, been doing HVAC and Refers for over 20 years. (but many years ago may I add). Nothing against OC. But that mod been around for a very long time. The manufacturer should be doing it not us. If a person dose a mod and it is new then I give then credit, other then that it's just information being passed on.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

Here is a picture of what happens when the fridge drains incorrectly. I like the fan plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409427186937.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	61797  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areid View Post
Here is a picture of what happens when the fridge drains incorrectly. I like the fan plan.
Keep in mind the fans don't eliminate the moisture, just keep it moving. The object is to remove it by draining it outside or slow down the ingress by opening the door less or making sure the gasket around the door doesn't let it in to begin with.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Keep in mind the fans don't eliminate the moisture, just keep it moving. The object is to remove it by draining it outside or slow down the ingress by opening the door less or making sure the gasket around the door doesn't let it in to begin with.
The fan will not elemate all the water but helps evaporate it before all the dripping. Air against the evap coil will absorbe atleast 2/3 of the moisture. Plus it will even out the temps in the refer from top to bottom. It will also stop a lot of the freeze up. Also this is only recommend for an absorption system. Plus you will run your unit at a lower setting which equal less electric or propane for the same temp at a lower setting. Being 1 to 5 for high and 1 being low (less power same temp)....