Old 12-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #31

Funny this forum is not connected with FR, but is probably the best sale tool they have. People come here to get help or research and every time something negative about FR comes up, in comes the anonymous employees to defend the company or blame the customer. Then there is the I've never had any problems people, which is funny because that's all they seem to post... But with those it make it look like there is rarely any problems with FR, but if there is its just that one guy, nothing to worry about, you will be fine, it's all the dealers fault....

Honey vrs vinegar? It seems the only way I got my coach fixed was when I used social media. The squeaky wheel gets greased. I was being ignored by the dealer and FR until I started airing the dirty laundry in public. Now the red carpet is rolled out.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #32

Two stories about warranty work. Wanted work done on our rig when it was still under warranty. Talked to a "major' rv dealer in central Texas who sell FR units. Would not work on ours because they did not sell that "brand" of FR unit. Called FR and they said under Texas law dealer was correct.
At the 2015 rally in Goshen visited at length with the techs working on our rig and one mentioned that he was flying out to Dallas the following week with two other techs from the service center to spend a week at a "major" dealer in the DFW area to educate the lackeys on working on FR units. He mentioned the name of the dealer but I won't repeat it on the forum. Anyone who wants to know PM me.

Dave

Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
Two stories about warranty work. Wanted work done on our rig when it was still under warranty. Talked to a "major' rv dealer in central Texas who sell FR units. Would not work on ours because they did not sell that "brand" of FR unit. Called FR and they said under Texas law dealer was correct.
At the 2015 rally in Goshen visited at length with the techs working on our rig and one mentioned that he was flying out to Dallas the following week with two other techs from the service center to spend a week at a "major" dealer in the DFW area to educate the lackeys on working on FR units. He mentioned the name of the dealer but I won't repeat it on the forum. Anyone who wants to know PM me.

Dave
This "we don't sell that line" disclaimer seems to be an issue with all FR lines. We spoke to an owner at our campground who bought his FR brand from a dealer in the Detroit area and couldn't get repairs done by any FR dealer except the one who sold it to him. He had a problem on the road and had to pay for repairs at a FR dealer who didn't sell the line he had and he was still waiting for reimbursement.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper John View Post
This "we don't sell that line" disclaimer seems to be an issue with all FR lines. We spoke to an owner at our campground who bought his FR brand from a dealer in the Detroit area and couldn't get repairs done by any FR dealer except the one who sold it to him. He had a problem on the road and had to pay for repairs at a FR dealer who didn't sell the line he had and he was still waiting for reimbursement.
Not in my case.I bought from a wholesale dealer 270 miles from me. The trailer has literally fallen apart,but we used it all summer anyway.This fall I contacted Free Way RV in Waters, mi. Explained my situation to Mark Wilson.He told me to bring it i even though he was a Salem dealer.he said he would work on any FR product,no p`roblem. To make a long story short, I took it over and left it. A week later he calls and wants us to come in and discuss the trailer.We do,and in his office we went over my list.He said that most of the problems were not repairable at the dealer level and took the liberty of setting up a time when we could return the unit to the factory for repairs.We take it back in 1 feb 2016 and we will at that time see if FR even thinks its repairable.Mark did not have to do this. He could have just told us in the first place he wouldnt look at it if they did not sell it.He also told us that even though Salem does not build a TH,he could and would, order any FR trailer we wanted in the future.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Not in my case.I bought from a wholesale dealer 270 miles from me. The trailer has literally fallen apart,but we used it all summer anyway.This fall I contacted Free Way RV in Waters, mi. Explained my situation to Mark Wilson.He told me to bring it i even though he was a Salem dealer.he said he would work on any FR product,no p`roblem. To make a long story short, I took it over and left it. A week later he calls and wants us to come in and discuss the trailer.We do,and in his office we went over my list.He said that most of the problems were not repairable at the dealer level and took the liberty of setting up a time when we could return the unit to the factory for repairs.We take it back in 1 feb 2016 and we will at that time see if FR even thinks its repairable.Mark did not have to do this. He could have just told us in the first place he wouldnt look at it if they did not sell it.He also told us that even though Salem does not build a TH,he could and would, order any FR trailer we wanted in the future.
Nice to know there are dealers who still believe in customer service.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #36

I haven't had any problems on the 3 trips for warranty work I've had done. @Two of them at a dealer I didn't purchase the unit from.

These two non-selling-dealer trips were for what I would call catastrohpic (means I can't camp) issues : The AC Compressor and the Converter.

The other items could wait, until I developed a tear in the roof of the slide on the edge (I suspect running the slide in and out enough times caused the corner of the slide to tear through the membrane. After sending pictures of the tear, I taped it up for now. If it were out of warranty, I'd probably leave it as my fix, but since it IS under warranty, they need to fix it properly.

I do ride the service tech like a rented donkey the whole time though.

For this 3rd trip I saved all the punch list items that could wait. I haven't actually dropped it off yet. I sent them a list, with pictures of everything that needed to be fixed. I asked that they get approval from FR and order, receive and verify ANY AND ALL parts needed BEFORE I drop it off, as it is 100 miles one way to the dealer (purchasing dealer).

I also asked that once i drop it off, that they have it ready the following weekend since I can not make the 100 mile drive on week days to pick up or drop off.

So far, so good, he's got one more thing to get approval from FR on, so we bumped the drop off date to Dec 12th.

My camper is perfectly usable, and I see no need for it to sit unprotected on their lot when nothing is happening rather than under my covered storage. Once they are ready to roll on every item, I'll bring it in. I've got till March to get these items fixed under warranty. I'm hoping to get everything done well before prime Spring camping season in Texas.

I do have to email the guy every couple of days to keep him on task. When he didn't respond timely, I CC'd my salseguy, the salesmanager, and the Service manager and simply requested that he please reply to my latest email. He replied that day. Sometimes you have to light a fire under somebody, lol.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #37
Moderators' Assistant

Well, here's my warranty work story.

After extensive research and emails, we bought our Rockwood Roo from a Midwest dealer 2000 miles away.
I knew bringing it back to the West Coast, would require finding local places for warranty work.

Before purchasing it, I discussed this with the Roo rep, he supplied a list of local dealers willing to do the warranty work.
I went through the list, contacting them as to whether they would do the work or not.
Once I established that I had dealers that would, we proceeded with the purchase.

I never had any issues getting the warranty work done, other than being at the back of the line.
But I expected that since I didn't buy from them. I just dropped it off with the fix list, in December and told them I was in no hurry. That way I got free winter storage.

One of the dealers didn't even sell FR products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #38
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B
Sounds like the same old story told here many times. I buy from dealer XXX because they saved me $1500 or $3000. Now the trailer has issues and I go to the local dealer expecting them to fix my good deal cause the selling dealer is 12 hr drive away. Let the buyer beware. The Forest River site say there to Buy Local.

I agree!

X 2 Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #39
Retired Electronic Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Quote:
Sounds like the same old story told here many times. I buy from dealer XXX because they saved me $1500 or $3000. Now the trailer has issues and I go to the local dealer expecting them to fix my good deal cause the selling dealer is 12 hr drive away. Let the buyer beware. The Forest River site say there to Buy Local.

I agree!
This isn't always the case ... read post #21. Sometimes it isn't possible to get to the 'home' dealer ... such as Full Timers, Winter Visitors, SnowBirds, or just someone with a major catastrophe who can't make it home.
1995 Cobra Monterey MH; 2000 Monaco-HR MH;
2006 Montana Mountaineer FW;
2016 Flagstaff Micro Lite TT w/2010 Chevy 1500
retiredtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Quote:

I agree! \

X 2 Later RJD
As Pres. Reagen would have said: "There you go again".
It seems like every time someone comes up with a reasonable question about service, one of the "regulars" (aceinspp has 2663 posts) comes up with a dismissive answer which basically negates the issue raised as being somehow the fault of the customer. The quote above, for example, doesn't offer any help or advice; it simply implies that the unfortunate owner should have known better than to not buy locally, as is implied by the small print on the FR brochures. The owner didn't buy locally because they got a better deal elsewhere. It's the American way. Now, he has to expect to be "punished" by the local dealer for his correct economic decision.
Other variations on this theme advanced by the "regulars" (?FR employees) are that you have to make friends with the locals in order to expect service, it never happened to them, therefore it never happens, except to the few Whiners, all the FR folks they know are the greatest, etc. None of this is helpful to the owner who discovers they can't get service locally, unless they go through a time consuming dance with FR to get service authorized at a non FR facility.

Tags
warranty