Old 12-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #41
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
As Pres. Reagen would have said: "There you go again".
It seems like every time someone comes up with a reasonable question about service, one of the "regulars" (aceinspp has 2663 posts) comes up with a dismissive answer which basically negates the issue raised as being somehow the fault of the customer. The quote above, for example, doesn't offer any help or advice; it simply implies that the unfortunate owner should have known better than to not buy locally, as is implied by the small print on the FR brochures. The owner didn't buy locally because they got a better deal elsewhere. It's the American way. Now, he has to expect to be "punished" by the local dealer for his correct economic decision.
Other variations on this theme advanced by the "regulars" (?FR employees) are that you have to make friends with the locals in order to expect service, it never happened to them, therefore it never happens, except to the few Whiners, all the FR folks they know are the greatest, etc. None of this is helpful to the owner who discovers they can't get service locally, unless they go through a time consuming dance with FR to get service authorized at a non FR facility.
I purchased my trailer from a ways away, I was lucky I did not need any warrantee work.. That said I took the risk, just like it is your right and the American way to shop around it us the shops right and the American way to service only their stuff... Sucks, wish the trailer industry was like the auto industry but it is not... Has nothing to do with the regulars and it is not a hit at the OP it is just the facts.

The way they make these things now you really run a risk to save a few thousand bucks if something is wrong, it is not like buying a car that can be fixed world wide, need to do a bit more homework or deal with the consequences. It blows...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I purchased my trailer from a ways away, I was lucky I did not need any warrantee work.. That said I took the risk, just like it is your right and the American way to shop around it us the shops right and the American way to service only their stuff... Sucks, wish the trailer industry was like the auto industry but it is not... Has nothing to do with the regulars and it is not a hit at the OP it is just the facts.

The way they make these things now you really run a risk to save a few thousand bucks if something is wrong, it is not like buying a car that can be fixed world wide, need to do a bit more homework or deal with the consequences. It blows...

doc73, you are absolutely correct.
I assume this forum is for the good of the owners, to give advice and help with problems.
The reason I mention the "regulars" is that I find when issues such as where to get service, quality control, or criticism of FR comes up, most often their posts are defensive, as if the owner who can't get service locally should have known better. Eventually, that becomes obvious, but only after a lot of time, research and aggravation. The disclaimer on the FR brochure to buy locally is in small print, and not emphasized by the dealers (of course). A newbie would never know this. When I bought mine, I was literally told by the dealer that I could get it serviced at "any dealer that sells any FR product, not just Coachmen". It was one of the reasons I was willing to buy it from a non local dealer. The statement is theoretically true, but in practice, it is very rarely true.
Sorry to go on like this. I don't think this forum should be a debating society. It should, however, be a resource for owners, not a defender of FR, which is, in my limited experience, a better than average company, making a better than average product, with good customer service.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #43
2012 Solera

See my post #24 above. In my case buying local did not help. I believe many dealers see service as an expense "to be minimized" and a distraction to their main business of selling RVs. As a result, their service departments are understaffed, insufficiently trained, rushed, inexperienced, etc. Become obstructionist. Stall, make excuses, do poor work, etc. Not (in my case) an issue of "bought local vs bought elsewhere" - as I said above, I bought local for asking price. Issue was capability and competence.
As I said above, suspect there are good dealer service departments- just not in my (or, apparently, in many other's) experience.
Again, as I stated above, I found an independent RV repair shop the best solution- these guys have RV repair as their only business and therefore need to do it right to stay in business.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #44
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
doc73, you are absolutely correct.
I assume this forum is for the good of the owners, to give advice and help with problems.
The reason I mention the "regulars" is that I find when issues such as where to get service, quality control, or criticism of FR comes up, most often their posts are defensive, as if the owner who can't get service locally should have known better. Eventually, that becomes obvious, but only after a lot of time, research and aggravation. The disclaimer on the FR brochure to buy locally is in small print, and not emphasized by the dealers (of course). A newbie would never know this. When I bought mine, I was literally told by the dealer that I could get it serviced at "any dealer that sells any FR product, not just Coachmen". It was one of the reasons I was willing to buy it from a non local dealer. The statement is theoretically true, but in practice, it is very rarely true.
Sorry to go on like this. I don't think this forum should be a debating society. It should, however, be a resource for owners, not a defender of FR, which is, in my limited experience, a better than average company, making a better than average product, with good customer service.
You make a valid and sometimes true assessment that I agree with. This is no excuse for them but often the "regulars" see the same questions aksed day to day. Every day (exaggerating) 10 people post "why do my tries stink" or "Why does FR make poo" or, in this case (two going right now) why won't the local dealer, I did not buy from, not fix my trailer." All valid questions that deserve a better answer than "USE THE SEARCH" or the ever so pleasant "OH BY HERE WE GO AGAIN< THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED" as if the OP knew that since he just joined... I have a few posts and I will laugh when I see the same things posted 10 times, especially by the same OP, but I was there before not that long ago so I try to actually give help.. If I can.

Again, no excuse but I guess they have just gotten frustrated? I don't agree but they can seem that way at times. I just hope that it does not chase away the new folks.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 12-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

"I think" the thread title "states"
What does it take to get warranty work done.
"I think" I answered what it takes for "me"
If you don't want to do it "dont"
Old 12-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
"I think" the thread title "states"
What does it take to get warranty work done.
"I think" I answered what it takes for "me"
If you don't want to do it "dont"
You did because, my guess, through the years you learned as did I over the course of my three trailers and my parents three... It is a shame the new buyers think this is like buying a car and the wrong sales person can make it worse.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #47
Site Team

I'll start by admitting I have not read every post in this thread but I have
read the most recent 2 dozen or so.....

A couple of things come to mind-
1st Forest River Forums day to day moderation is done by purely volunteer staff. Period. We mods are here just because there is a need to keep things on track and because we have a love of RVing.

2nd the vast majority of posts are by other private citizens. When we discover a poster who is a dealer or manufacturer employee we change the font size and color of their user ID. We're not trying to hide anything sinister in the "back room"!

3rd generalizations usually aren't a good idea but for the sake of conversation here is one from me-- There are likely lots of happy RVers out there who are completely satisfied with their rigs and who don't ever post online! Folks who have a problem or complaint often seek online forums for help and to vent frustration at lack of help... It goes with the territory.
Then there are those who are happy and will defend their "brand". I totally get that!! Those that do the defending aren't necessarily "paid employees". They are just folks who like what they have!
I don't know why some seem to think any positive response must be some
secret employee who is here just to put a happy spin on the conversation.

We mods try very hard to be hands off the forums. Sometimes we just hand out advice on how to use the forums or move an errant post to the correct forum. Other times we find ourselves feeling like referees in a heavy weight prize fight. Those times I really don't enjoy the job much at all.....

Anyway- happy Monday! I'm off to pick up my rig from the dealer. They
have hopefully added a baffle to my less than stellar performing dometic fridge.
We'll take it to Florida later this winter and give it a test!! You've seen the saying "happy wife, happy life"? Well mine is "if the beer ain't cold, dad is
not a happy camper"!

Peace & Happy Trails!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #48
2012 Solera

I think the moderators on this forum do a GREAT job - thank you!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #49
Who Dares, Wins

Keep all us bums from crashing the train off the tracks.

Thank you!

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #50

I guess it helps to live in the frozen north.....

My dealer is all about service.
That's the only thing that keeps him going in the winter.

Sales really slow down, when it's minus a billion out, and 10 feet of snow.

We have the luxury of dropping the trailer off in November, and picking it up in April.

They have lots of time to fix whatever is needed.
On my sabre, the pdi list was 2 pages long.
I signed, and took the camper, knowing they would do me right over the winter.
Free storage
Free winterizing.
All repairs will be done. ( half are complete already)

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Tags
warranty