Old 12-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #51
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
"I think" the thread title "states"
What does it take to get warranty work done.
"I think" I answered what it takes for "me"
If you don't want to do it "dont"
KyDan, your post is very reasonable and well written. I agree with almost everything you say. I also acknowledge that some owners are so angry that their posts are simply an attempt to get back at FR.
I do take exception to one of your points.
I don't think people like me are always critical of those who write good reports about their RV. That's fine, and good to know that many people have good experiences. I am certainly not out to ruin the image of FR, or the RV industry in general. That would be totally counter productive, since I own one. I have even said many times how much I like mine, despite the problems I have encountered.
What I object to are answers like that above, (which almost sounds like quote from "Alice in Wonderland") which are unhelpful and aggressive, and the defensive tone of many of these responses.
Here's my point: one has to admit that, for some, there is a real problem with getting warranty work done. Some or even most may have good experiences; a significant fraction do not, and don't find out about it until they try to have the work done.
Those "regulars" who have "had" to answer the legitimate questions about this issue so many times that they are fed up, shouldn't answer. The fact that it has come up so often is an indication that it is a real problem.The people who pose the questions (such as the owner who started this thread) are presumably doing it because they have encountered an unexpected problem with getting warranty work done, and are looking for an answer. They haven't been following this forum for years, as have the "regulars".
My solution would be to have all FR dealers obligated to do warranty work, whether the unit is bought there or not. If that is not achievable, then at the very least, the dealers and especially FR should openly acknowledge this potential issue before purchase (not by putting it in the small print on the brochure). The new owner should not have to find out only after wasting valuable time and money, nor by being forced to research the issue on forums such as this one. Nor should they be subjected to disdain and semi-ridicule by those in the know, or the implication that it is their fault, because they should have known better. This type of response, which is more common than it should be, does nothing to help the bewildered owner. It also blemishes the reputation of the "brand".
FR may even benefit with full acknowledgement of the issue. How much employee time and money do they waste dealing with these issues through the "back door"?
Regarding the issue of whether or not FR employees participate in this forum, it first came to my attention when a "regular" mentioned those on the forum "in the shadows". Spooky!
Thank you for your valuable service to us.

jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #52
I don't think you necessarily want the answer that you suggest - require FR dealers to service any FR unit (or in other words, "be careful what you wish for").

As reading the forums reveal, and as you state, many FR owners have trouble getting decent service - regardless of whether they bought from the servicing dealer or not.

As has been pointed out, many FR dealers have poor-to-piss-poor service departments (as do a significant number of auto dealers). Finding a trustworthy and reasonably-priced repair shop for my automobiles usually results in an independent shop that knows when they are over their heads, and will then refer me to a dealer they trust.

The RV dealership where I bought my Rockwood A-frame has an excellent service and repair shop (they gave me the lowest price for hundreds of miles around, too). As a result, they are always booked solid. Dropping in for service usually results in a couple of weeks delay.

For warranty work, the service manager and I would talk on the phone before I drove up there (50 miles each way). Together, we would determine the urgency of the work, and whether they had the parts in stock or not. From there, they would schedule me to complete the work the same day I arrived - usually 2-3 weeks out unless I had to have it right now.

This particular shop will work on any RV, but sales customers have priority in scheduling. Seems like a reasonable arrangement to me, very similar to what I see at most car dealerships.

just my experiences, your experiences and expectations may differ
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #53
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I also had a dealer that did not like to do warranty work. When I had taken it back three time to have a number of items fixed and still had some not fixed. (Me screen door would not latch) They had kind of twisted it each time and by now was all warped. I asked do you mean I will have to go to Elkhart IN to get my rv fixed. There reply was that would be a good idea. We went to TX that winter and were able to make an appointment to stop in at FR service on our way home. They fixed everything on our list plus a number of things that the saw that I had not asked them to fix.
Some years back I had Lincoln that I had bought from an out of town dealer. I had tried to buy one from the local dealer and he didn't want to sell me what I wanted but rather what he wanted to sell me. When I tried to take it to the local dealer for service the owner told me to take it where I bought it. So not all car dealers like doing service.
2012 Georgetown 378TS Fire Mist
2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake™ Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #54
I've had one heartland, 2 keystone and 3 forest river rvs in the last 7 years. 5 from the local dealer with phenomenal service. I bought the last one from a dealer 60 miles away and again the service is phenomenal. Western Kansas ethics probably plays a big part in this.

kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote