Old 11-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #1

What does it take to get warranty work done?

I bought a 2015 3675 5th wheel Cardinal in March. I have had problems from day 1, but I (and my wife) worked on it ourselves for a week and a half to enable for us to actually use it last summer. On October 19th we were finally done with our trips for the season so we took it to Camping World to get 6 thing repaired that we hadn't got to yet. I figured there wasn't a need for me to fix everything myself when I was promised "bumper to bumper warrenty for 1st year (with tires and battery being the exception)", It is now November 30th, and Camping World claims they are still waiting on the "OK" to do the work. So how long does it take to fix things like ceiling molding coming down, or sewage valve stuck open, awning not working, refrigerader door wont close completely? I have decided one thing. Maybe all RV distributers make "junk" now a days, but this will be my last RV made by Forest River.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #2

After buying and owning 12 different RV's during the past 25 years I recommend you need to spend as much, or more, time finding your next DEALER as you spend finding your next RV! Your always going to have a "punch list" when you purchase a new RV from ANY manufacturer. The real prove of the pudding in buying a new RV is how does the dealer take care of you both during and after the warranty period. From everything you commented on, you have a dealer issue, not a manufacturer problem. It's easy to pass the buck and say "we don't have approval". Sure it's easy to say that when they've probably never even asked for it!!!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
Head Rambler

Did you buy the unit from that Camping World?

Search for the contact list posted on here and contact the person at the Cardinal division and see if you can find out what's going on.

I agree with RSchleder, you have a dealer problem.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
After buying and owning 12 different RV's during the past 25 years I recommend you need to spend as much, or more, time finding your next DEALER as you spend finding your next RV! Your always going to have a "punch list" when you purchase a new RV from ANY manufacturer. The real prove of the pudding in buying a new RV is how does the dealer take care of you both during and after the warranty period. From everything you commented on, you have a dealer issue, not a manufacturer problem. It's easy to pass the buck and say "we don't have approval". Sure it's easy to say that what they've probably never even asked for it!!!
I agree. I was highly frustrated with Forest River when I bought my first new trailer 18 months ago (I'd had 3 used trailers). Long story to short, I determined that my dealership service department personnel, while very likable, were entirely inefficient. I got some FR people involved and things got better BUT the dealership still didn't fix everything... they made excuses about some, I fixed some, and FR technicians at the 2015 Goshen rally fixed some. When I got home, Elkhart Parts and Service paid a closer/better dealership to install slide-out toppers for me.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #5

I bought the unit from Tom Rapers in Richmand, Indiana (which is the biggest RV dealerships in mid-west) Then Camping World bought Tom Raper's after Tom died. But never the less, I had same problem with a Chevy I bought from one dealer and wanted work done at a different dealer. The second dealer told me to take it back to where I bought it. Final result was 2nd dealer fixed it and service manager was fired on the spot for refusing warrenty work. So you might be right, dealer being the problem. My question is how do I finally get it fixed?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

Contact the RV manufacturer's warranty/customer service dept. Explain the situation and ask them to get in involved? Perhaps they can find a more reliable dealer for you to work with to get your issues promptly and correctly fixed! Although it is frustrating, getting some help from the manufacturer and the right dealer and before you know it, "the sun will come out"! Best of luck.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

I got a new Wildcat 327 ck in February 2015 and when I called Camping World, Houston,
Texas, for some minor warranty work they set an appointment to bring it in thirty days and when I did they asked when I needed it and I told the three weeks from then they said OK. I bought it from this Camping World and they had it ready one day before I needed it. Good Luck
Old 12-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #8

I have a Coachmen Prism 24G. I have no complaints with overall construction, but, like everyone else, I have had a few problems during the warranty period.
My experience with Coachmen dealers has been awful. The one closest to me actually told me they couldn't do warranty work on my unit because the City Council wouldn't let them work on units they didn't sell!
In order to get anything done, I have had to get Coachmen Customer Service involved, usually by having them authorize me to take it to an independent service center, pay for the repairs myself, then get reimbursed by FR. It's time consuming, awkward, and, I imagine, expensive for FR.
My question is why does this work like this? Why don't the dealers want to do warranty work? I expect it has something to do with money. Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #9

Sounds like the same old story told here many times. I buy from dealer XXX because they saved me $1500 or $3000. Now the trailer has issues and I go to the local dealer expecting them to fix my good deal cause the selling dealer is 12 hr drive away. Let the buyer beware. The Forest River site say there to Buy Local.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #10

I had the same problem with my dealer on my new 2016 Avenger. They took care of a couple minor problems but then said they had to charge me for the repairs because they didn't use any parts and they needed to get paid for their time. After contacting Forest River they reimbursed my money. The manufacturer must not pay the same rate as the dealer would normally charge. When I spoke with Forest River they said my dealer never turned in any warranty claims for my TT.

Tags
warranty