Old 02-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
What size hoses do we need?

We just bought our first travel trailer, a used 2011 Rockwood Mini Lite without any hoses. We know we need a white hose for drinking water, a larger wastewater hose for black and gray water disposal, as a garden hose for flushing the systems(?). My questions are what length waste hose do we need (10, 15, or 20) ? Do we need a wand for cleaning the black water tank when dumping? What about those hose supports for the waste hose? We have a pretty good owners manual provided by the previous owner, but no experience with these systems any help will be greatly appreciated.

JHurtgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
So for the water hose, you will need a dedicate potable water hose and yes they are the white drinking water hoses. Length will be determined by where you stay and where the water spigot is. I would recommend getting 2 - 15 ft hoses. This will allow you more options. You will need a sewer hose and again length varies so I have a 20 ft and a 10 ft. This covers most situations. The Mini Lite does not come with a black tank flush so unless it has an aftermarket one, no need there. That being said, I would recommend getting one of the flush wands that you put down the toilet to help clean the black tank. This would require one of 2 options. You can get a kit that hooks to the bathroom sink and will allow you to have water to use the wand from inside the bathroom. When we had our micro lite, I used a regular 20 ft garden hose and ran it into the bathroom through the window and then used the wand that way.

The mini/micro lites are good campers and we really enjoyed ours. The only reason we sold it was to buy a bigger unit. Enjoy!

Jay & Maria - Camp Dogs Jackson & Joplin
2015 Rockwood 2604WS Emerald
Hensley Arrow hitch
2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #3
It is very rare for us to have a site with water so I have to pull from the nearest spigot after my initial fill at check-in. I started with one 25' hose and some years later I now have 150' available. That takes care of most situations. Any further I fill a portable tank. 100' of my hose is a collapsible white that resembles a miniature fire hose so it takes up little room. For a sewer hose, so far 20' is working and I have another 10' available if needed. This is at the dump station. I have never had a site with sewer.
2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:49 AM   #4
Depending on the campground will determine how long of hoses you will need.

You can get a clear elbow for sewer flush if you want. Sewer hoses come sectional, the campground we go to the most we have 25 feet worth. Buy a decent quality hose don't buy the really cheap ones. We are currently using Rhino but other brands are good as well. As far as hose supports there are several styles. As you camp you will see more as to what others use.

Same with water buy a decent quality hose not a cheap one. For sewer flush quality is not as important. When putting your hoses up hook the ends together so nothing crawls in.

Some campgrounds the hookups are toward the back of the trailer some are in the middle. Some further away....... There is no standard for where hook ups are.... And many campground do not have sewer hookups so a dump station would be used for waste water.

It is hard to say buy a x feet hose but for most places 25 feet is rule of thumb (my opinion) some places may need more some less.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
"On the road again"
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
You can also get a blue drinking water hose from CAMCO that doesn't show dirt, asphalt, etc. nearly as much as the white ones do.

Camco TastePURE 50' Premium Drinking Water Hose, 5/8" ID -

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'12 Columbus 320RS - 2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch & 2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015: 458 ~ Nights Camping 2016: 95 So Far
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Check out the clear flow water hose at Amazon. They roll up relatively flat on like what you would use to store an extension cord. I always find unwieldly hoses to be a PIA to store and carry. Valterra used to make one, which is what I have. I've used the windup garden hoses that are fabric covered too. They don't last a season without springing leaks.
As far as the sewer hoses go I bought the "blue line" kit with the extra fittings in '07 and am still using it today. Lot of people like the rhino. I've been happy with the flush king over the wand method.

Many posters, many opinions

2016 Flagstaff 27VRL Emerald
14K Equalizer
2014 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
Head Rambler
We carry two 25' potable water hoses, a couple of external filters and assorted fittings/regulators cutoffs, etc. in a flat tote. That way all the potable water stuff is in one place. We also did the square fence post sewer hose holder mod and carry a 20' and a 5' hose and all the fittings for both in it.

We usually also carry a 25' or 50' garden hose and sprayer to use around the campsite.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Thanks so much for your responses. I'm sure we will have many more questions before our first camping trip this spring. Good to know you all are here to help
JHurtgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #9
Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
The sewer hose will last longer if you keep it on the hose supports and off the ground.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
You can also get a blue drinking water hose from CAMCO that doesn't show dirt, asphalt, etc. nearly as much as the white ones do.

Camco TastePURE 50' Premium Drinking Water Hose, 5/8" ID -

I like the fact that it has stainless fittings and strain relief. You may also want a 90 degree fitting if your fresh water inlet is high up. That way that hose isn't pulling on the inlet.

David and Vicki
5 year old Springer rescues Sydney and Piper
2013 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab Duramax/Allison stock "Big Red"
2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE "The Dog House"
Eaz Lift WDH w/ Blue Ox 2 1/2" trunion
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote