Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #1

What to carry?

Over the years, reading posts from the boating community as well as the RV groups, we’ve noticed common threads regarding fix-it projects and those concerning what to carry.
Recently, we’ve helped several folks who had simple repair issues while on the road; they had no supplies at all, not even tools. Here is an incomplete suggestion, but it’s a start. Obviously, you may have your own lists so feel free to comment. Perhaps this list will go viral, which in turn may keep help everyone including us.

· Manual(s)—almost a necessity for your engine and all the stuff you have. We put these on a DVD with photos, and we have critical information on paper just in case.

·
A paper copy of emergency information and telephone numbers, along with numbers of your vehicle and serial numbers of stuff.

·
A cell telephone.

·
Become a HAM. It’s a good organization and provides an additional margin of safety.

· A book and/or DVD on fixing likely problems. Several are on the market, see: Boatowner's Mechanical And Electrical Manual: How To Maintain, Repair, And Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems (3rd Edition) by Nigel Calder, as an example. I use this one even with our RV.

· A “good” quality Volt Ohm Meter and a simple how-too book on its use. Don’t forget a battery for it.

· Several spare fuses each required slot. Find the fuse locations or circuit breakers before you leave, equip your bucket list with a suitable number.

· A reasonable set of hand tools. A number 1, 2, and 3 slot and Philips screwdriver, hammer, 2 adjustable crescent wrenchs, gas, diagonal and long-nose pliers, large pipe wrench and like Channel Lock pliers, a metal cutting hacksaw, at least a 3/8” socket set, utility knife, some sandpaper in different coarseness, flashlight (LED is best), a long pickup tool for those nuts and bolts you lose in tight areas, plumber's tape, ruler/tape measure.

· Electrical, masking, and duct tape. At least one spare light for each fixture. Silicone, epoxy, and Gorilla type glue. Hose clamps of varying sizes, and a few screws, nuts and bolts for emergency repair. A hose or two for patching a water supply and sundry. Spare batteries for your flashlight, radios, etc.

· Some “automotive or marine” wire for repairing electrical issues. Four (4) solder-less connectors of appropriate sizes each, a crimping tool. Small wire does not work on larger currents, large wire handles small currents. Note the difference in automotive and other wire.

· Several leveling boards or commercial blocking units. I’ve seen spots that require 4-2Xs in height or better.

· A 40# water pressure reducer, appropriate water hose. (No garden variety hoses)

· Spare clevis pins if your rig uses these. A bottle jack-20 ton or better. Spare tire, water, food. Awning repair material.

· Safety glasses for working under your rig and with your battery, protective gloves for your sewer and work projects.

· A competent first-aid kit. See posts on this site. You may want an extensive supply depending on where you are. Between stops in AK or NV, for example, it may be several hours before help arrives.

· Typical road-side emergency notifies. Flares, flags, etc.

· Try every piece of equipment before it’s necessary to them.

· If you are like many people who are unfamiliar with stuff, their RV and vehicle, take a class or find a competent person who will advise you before you leave. Be competent.

· Spare keys for all locks, accessible and hidden away for emergency use.

· A shovel and bucket if you make a fire, and they help in other cases too.

· Road map, pen/pencil and paper, magic marker.

· Mouse traps.

· Needles and thread.

Good luck,

Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Explorer

A great list but I had a few to add

Roof repair kit: sticky back EPDM, self leveling sealer(never know when one of those sneaky tree limbs might jump out at you. And while a small amount of water wont kill your TT the wind on the drive home could rip the rubber roof off )

Set of Bearings, Races, Rear Seal and Grease (prepack bearings would work)or just part numbers. Even if you never plan on doing bearing replacement yourself having the correct part on hand will save you many extra hours if the problem should arise. (I had a bearing go out once and the race stuck to the spindle but I was proud I had new bearings, race and seal only to find out I didn’t have grease. First I laughed then I said a few bad words to myself on my way to the parts store.)

Hurricane Tape: this is new, to me, product that works great to temporarily fix pressurized leaks(water, sewer, air, ?propane?)

Wire Ties

Rope

Axe and Bucksaw

Cordless Drill: I use this to put up and down my stabilizers but has come it very handy. I have standard bits and screw tips but also carry a cutting blade, grinding ring, carbide cutting tip(there is room in the case so I fill it up)

You had a really good one: Bottle Jack(mine is 10ton), have you ever tried jacking up a loaded TT; I don’t think an OEM TV scissor jack could do it.

As for tools I don’t think you need the best, I just bought a cheapy $60,225 piece, set that stays. I know they wont stand up to hard work but they should and have gotten me by on the road. Plus I have a tool bag for those extra things, I think, I can’t live without.

I am stating to believe I should take that “X Lite” emblem off my TT, I’m way beyond that.
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

and don't forget a credit card and a pocket full of CASH
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A leatherman, duct tape, good LED flashlight and a cell phone. And, a paper clip ala MacGyver

Actually, I pack much of what you have listed. Especially useful are manuals and assorted PDFs on my iPad and my copy of Harold Barre's Managing 12 Volts book (MUST READ).

I organize the my tools and stuff by their use so ...

Change a tire
Fix a leak
Fix electric

I figure those three things are going to put a damper on a trip and most of the time can be fixed if I have the tools and parts.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

one thing I didn't see was a square tip screwdriver that fits the screws most rv manufacturers use. Also I take a tire plug kit you buy at auto parts stores to fill nail holes and the like when in the boonies. Also a small air pump to fill em up.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #6

And don't forget, another trailer to haul all this shstuff
Barnman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

In addition to the above, I carry a torque wrench and sockets for the wheel lugs, axle springs and u-bolts plus a good tire pressure gauge and small 120v compressor. Keep the tires at max pressure and all lugs and nuts at factory specified torque.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #8

Some things I carry.
1) 6' ft step ladder strapped very secure under the drivers side front of my Cherokee 23DD
2) Step Stool / work platform Step Stool/Working Platform Handy for extra table or standing on.
3) A jump pack / compressor combo
4) 12vdc test light
5) I replace my serpentine belts and keep the old ones as spares. I carry a very complete tool box for my work. If you are mechanically declined, you can get some one to replace a belt if you have one in the boondocks late on a Sunday.
Mark2x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #9

I carry alot of the same stuff I see here, but I also carry a spare water pump. I'm not sure I'd go out and buy a spar, but I have one from a pump upgrade I did on a previous TT.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #10

Very good suggestions. I'm a full timer so I have most of what is listed already on board but do need to add a few things. Make sure the tools you have will do the job though. I've ran into that problem many times. The only thing I could throw in would be to expand your emergency kit a little. The wife and I went through the Joplin, MO tornado last year so we constantly have a "tornado" bag with just about everything two people would need for a week in a disaster. I even have my 22oz hammer and a good set of pliers in there with flashlight, headlamp, batteries, important documents, extensive first aid kit, blankets, fire starter, map for immediate area, you get the idea. One helpful hint, don't count on your cell phone too much. You never know when the tower might be "gone" trust me we know.
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #11

your Roadside Assistance policy, cash, a checkbook, credit cards.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #12

extra batteries for everything......
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

A note on the cell phone. If you are from Canada traveling state side, get a US pay as you go phone at the first convient location it will be the best 20 bux you spend on your entire trip. We found out the hard way that My Bell and the DW's Telus phones are useless in the US when trying to contact our CAA premimum RV toll free number due to the way it reroutes to AAA. If it wasn't for MTNGUY (thanks again Chap) coming to our rescue we would have been in Goshen far longer till we would have realized it was our Canadian cell phones issue.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #14

I keep a safety vest in my tool compartment to wear when out along side the road, It's a DOT requirement for emergency personnel these days so I figure it's not a bad idea for everyone.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Towing with---------

Towing a fifth wheel with a short bed truck, you may run out of room to carry a bicycle or two.

This my solution to limted space:

Weighs 36#

Folds up to be compact

Has six speeds

20" tires, 65 PSI

Will carry 250#

Will fit just about any body frame (I'm 6'2", 189 #)

Very good on fuel!

Works great

$164.95 TAX, TAG, PREP FEES, SHIPPING.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STOW A BIKE 002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	21494   Click image for larger version

Name:	STOW A BIKE 003.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	36.0 KB