Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #21
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Relax, enjoy, and don't sweat the little stuff. Life it too short.
...and never forget: it's all little stuff.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2016: 19
pashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #22
Know your stopping distance under all conditions especially downhill. Plan with safety margin

Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #23
No one and nothing is perfect so enjoy the ride and time spent with family and loved ones. Make some memories!
Sandy and Steve
Chooie, Baby, Grizzly, Sophie the 4 fur babies
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #24
2003 Georgetown 325
My slogan that helps a lot is: We're here for a good time, not a long time!! Have fun
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #25
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715 View Post
Do not buy a RV, camper, MH, or any other leasure type of vehicle unless you have average to above average DIY skills.
As a solo female traveler, I always thought I was handy but I'm quickly learning- carry plenty of tools, lot's of surprises! Superbowl Sunday I ended up on my roof learning how to manually close a broken satelitte dish.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #26
Make sure you have enough gas. Maps aren't always accurate, what you may think is a town on your map- may not have gas or diesel and you are in the middle of nowhere.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #27
Check list

I agree 100% with the Checklist.
The checklist was invented by pilots after a really great pilot forgot something and it killed him. No one remembers EVERYTHING.
My checklist is a has several versions depending on wether I am going to stop at a water source before I leave town, or after I arrive in camp, and is laminated. I do the same routine every time, (as also mentioned above) and the check list helps me remember to lock bins, put in steps, coil cords, antennas, check tire pressures (different list) etc.
My wife's list is mostly the inventory, and and is dependent on wether we are headed to Elk Camp, or south to Texas for the winter.

My personal addition to this thread is: Slow down. That applies to everything in camp or on the road.

Could also add: 1. Get "Get Gas Buddy" for you smart phone. Can't beat it for fueling on cross country trips.
2. Learn to read a map, and estimate times. Don't rely solely on the GPS.
3. Get Waze, to look for road hazards, and to warn others of hazards. Keeps your navigator in the game.
4. Stop often for a walk around. On cross country trips, I have discovered low tires, flapping doors, loose straps, all of which I KNOW I had tightened.
5. Keep an eye on the gauges.
6. Use ALL your mirrors.
7. Change your engine oil even if you are on the road. Watch the service people like a hawk, while they are doing it.
8. Your co-pilot's job at gas stops is to wash the windows, or pump the fuel, and you do it, but keep that glass sparkling.
9. Stop at the State border Information (if they have one) and pick up fresh maps, ask about local sights, and history.
Well, that's all for now.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #28
Keep plenty of room on your credit card.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #29
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Make checklists for set up and take down. Use walkie talkies for backing so you don't have to read sign language or shout. Passenger side /driver side is better than right/left. This will save your marriage! Finally, learn to laugh at yourself, chances are the ones watching you have made the same mistakes before.
Agree on the walkie talkies for backing. We have tried for years to use our cell phones but often camp where reception is poor and loose connections. Finally, bought a pair of walkie talkies and have wondered why I didn't do it sooner.
Me & the DW
2016 Coachmen Brookstone 334RE Fifth Wheel
2015 Chevy 3500HD Diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4 LTZ
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #30
Don't take any shortcuts. You'll regret it. This applies to set-up, parking, driving, take-down, anything.

Know that if something does happen that you probably LOVE the person you're camping with. Try to make sure they know it - even if s**t is hitting the fan.

Joe & Sue - Camp Mutts Zeke & Dazey
2008 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RKS
2008 Ford F-150

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote