Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
STOP your mail delivery.....https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/

Happy Trails

I thought you meant stop your mail delivery because of buying to many things on Amazon.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 3.55 4x4
2014 rockwood roo 233s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #102
I Break Everything

I usually say don't forget the beer, but sometimes a cocktail is a better fit when you get there...so don't forget the ICE.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
Have hookup/unhook routine and don't deviate from it.
Would you mind sharing your routine list?
bmcevers_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #104

Unless you were lucky enough that your trailer came with a backup camera, you can buy a wireless one at any auto parts store or on line. Mount the camera in the middle of the back of your trailer and high enough so as to not be blocked by your spare or anything else you might have back there. Run the power cable to one of the trailer back up lights and the transmitter cable under the trailer up to the front where you can mount the transmitter. You want the transmitter high enough that it can "see" through the back windshield of your tow vehicle to the monitor that came with the camera, that you now have mounted on your dash. You can find cable extensions on line or at an electronics store if you need more length to reach the front of your trailer.
This works great any time you have to back your trailer. This can save a lot of yelling and screaming when you get to that dreaded back in camp site. I know I can now put my trailer in place usually on the first try. This has saved us a lot of head aches and have had several people tell me "I'm impressed" when I get the trailer in place on the first try. Happy camping and safe backing.
cousinsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Don't forget the ketchup.
I can't count how many times we have bought ketchup and mustard on camping trips and picnics.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by margepugh View Post
Double check drawer closures. Pull each drawer to assure they are secured. Our first trip out ended up with our silverware drawer sliding out of its compartment and spilling contents everywhere. Drawer catches had to be repaired too.
I might add to this...make sure the 25 pounds of dry dog food is secure. One of those stories that is humorous to tell on later trips.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
1. Don't forget to pack your underwear ... oops.
2. Remember that you need lots of room to make right hand turns. We got stuck on a Stop sign in a parking lot once. Had to climb on RV roof and unbolt the sign so I could tuck my tail and run away!
3. Test the generator at home. Working on it on the picnic table when you need it is not the best use of your time.
4. Bring cash to purchase firewood (lot's of restrictions on bringing fire wood due to bugs).
5. While backing into a site, people seem to come out of the woodwork to help. I usually accept the offer but I listen to my wife before anyone else (unless a tree is involved).
6. Don't forget to pack the DW's beer ... a really big oops!
7. When you think you have enough beer packed in the camper ... sadly you don't.

The most important ... having fun while learning, or teaching, new ways to do things ... whatever they may be.
Regarding #4...At California State Campgrounds don't buy firewood from the camp host and expect to have a warm, crackling fire
Old 09-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #108
Site Team

[QUOTE=pgandw;1184204]Enjoy your personal camping style - and pick equipment that suits it.

I couldn't agree more.

My single advise is to keep it simple while you develop your camping style. I returned a lot of stuff unused once I determine I wasn't really going to need it or use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
Regarding #4...At California State Campgrounds don't buy firewood from the camp host and expect to have a warm, crackling fire
I'm curious - why is that? I have brought wood from the ranger at CA state campgrounds but never from the camp host.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #109

Mine is--- Don't buy an RV unless you have a basic mechanical/electrical ability to fix a few things yourself. Going to the dealer to have a window shade reattached, a LED replaced, or a screw reinserted, seems like something a RV owner should be able to do themselves!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #110

[QUOTE=Terier;1319636]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Enjoy your personal camping style - and pick equipment that suits it.

I couldn't agree more.

My single advise is to keep it simple while you develop your camping style. I returned a lot of stuff unused once I determine I wasn't really going to need it or use it.

I'm curious - why is that? I have brought wood from the ranger at CA state campgrounds but never from the camp host.
camp host or ranger station. Too many times it has been wet green wood. Such a disappointment on a cold December evening at the beach. If ut is properly aged and stored then it's not a problem.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #111

Try not to be stressed when doing your routine pulling up camp. That's how we drove off and accidentally left behind our $100.00 outside step.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #112
Site Team

I always turn off water at the spigot when I leave since returning once to father in law's unit to see the water spraying across the neighbors spot from a ruptured hose.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
Try not to be stressed when doing your routine pulling up camp. That's how we drove off and accidentally left behind our $100.00 outside step.
Do you mind if I let my DW read your post?
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I always turn off water at the spigot when I leave since returning once to father in law's unit to see the water spraying across the neighbors spot from a ruptured hose.
This is an excellent piece of advice and I will be sure to incorporate from now on, I prefer learning from the experience of others rather than learning the hard way
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #115

As my bride often states, "we go camping to smooooth it, not rough it."
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #116

Do a walkabout before you leave your camping spot. A favorite pasttime of ours is to walk around campgrounds after most people leave to find "camp treasures". These are all the things that people forget when they leave. We have found all kinds of great stuff.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Flush twice with two full bowls of water. Water is your friend unless you prefer the brown pyramid of death.

That is scary. If that buildup did occur, would flushing hot water into the black tank fix it?
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #118

Buy the best sewer hose you can (I recommend a Lippert WasteMaster but at least a Rhinoflex)

This is the one item you never want to fail!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAClend View Post
Do a walkabout before you leave your camping spot. A favorite pasttime of ours is to walk around campgrounds after most people leave to find "camp treasures". These are all the things that people forget when they leave. We have found all kinds of great stuff.
Great advice. I'd add that you should do a good walk around before leaving home. I've left the lever for the WDH , a tub of grease and rag laying on the tongue. Luckily the lever was laying in the driveway, the tub survived the trip to the campground but the rag was missing in action, may it Rest In Peace!

Exlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
I managed to drive off and leave the dog tied to the lantern post last weekend. I will NEVER hear the last of this!!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote