Old 07-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #11

Might want to check app manything free app use iPad as camera and phone to watch.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #12

Foscam makes combination wired/wireless monitoring cameras that can be run directly off of 5V DC. They have pan/tilt motors built in and send their output using a web page that's accessible from any web browser. They also have a special mode with a low data transmission rate for use with a cell phone as a viewer. The cameras also have IR LEDs that will provide lighting at night. When set up for security monitoring, they can send you an email or text message your phone, which includes a snapshot of the triggering event.

All this for only $70 - a good deal. I've been using one of these for a few years at a remote astronomical observatory and have never had any problems with it other than having it shut down when the AC power failed. That was fixed this past January when I added a $4 DC-DC switching power supply to supply 5V from the 600+A 12V solar battery pack.

Note: Using the Foscam at a campground will require reconfiguring it after you arrive. You'll need to set it up to mate with the campground's wifi system which will require a temporary private network. I carry a small router with me to do this type of thing. You also should not be able to access the web page when you're not using the campground's wifi network for your viewing device. Alerts from the Foscam will still get to your cell phone/email account.

Phil

Old 07-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
Foscam makes combination wired/wireless monitoring cameras that can be run directly off of 5V DC. They have pan/tilt motors built in and send their output using a web page that's accessible from any web browser. They also have a special mode with a low data transmission rate for use with a cell phone as a viewer. The cameras also have IR LEDs that will provide lighting at night. When set up for security monitoring, they can send you an email or text message your phone, which includes a snapshot of the triggering event.

All this for only $70 - a good deal. I've been using one of these for a few years at a remote astronomical observatory and have never had any problems with it other than having it shut down when the AC power failed. That was fixed this past January when I added a $4 DC-DC switching power supply to supply 5V from the 600+A 12V solar battery pack.

Note: Using the Foscam at a campground will require reconfiguring it after you arrive. You'll need to set it up to mate with the campground's wifi system which will require a temporary private network. I carry a small router with me to do this type of thing. You also should not be able to access the web page when you're not using the campground's wifi network for your viewing device. Alerts from the Foscam will still get to your cell phone/email account.

Phil
Thanks you for the information. A coworker uses the similiar setup for baby monitor.
I will had the component t9 my research.

I am an IT guy so carry aroud a WiFi router to create my private network. The router runs about $20 ad is great.