Old 12-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #11

Just last weekend went to put the cover on Rv. Climbed on top and got the cover over the roof of our fifth wheel, and was adjusting the sides. Had it about 80% covered, when a gust of wind came up, so hubby and I grabbed some straps to keep it from coming off. Well my strap broke off and I fell hard on my back (thought I broke it!). Anyhow the tarp was ninety percent off except for hooking on ac unit and straps hung up around TV antenna and radio whip. Next day had to climb back up to free up so there wouldn't be any damage. Tarp now rests in city landfill!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 12-28-2014, 02:06 AM   #12

In the past we never covered our previous camper, but we do cover the one we have now during the winter. Only been a few years but it appears to keep the camper cleaner since there is no snow melt, or rain running down the sides. Also I agree it helps protect the roof since there can be no snow or ice build up. Having never used a cover before we did learn one lesson. You either need to remove your "down spouts" or put something on them, otherwise you will get holes in the cover where they are. A tennis ball with a slit in it works well. Also, pay attention to any other areas where there might be sharp points, or corners, as the wind will eventually wear holes. The cover has developed a couple of small holes, so in another year or two we will have to replace it.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #13

Covered mine. It has not been 2 months and there are 4 holes in the brand new $400 cover from the wind and sharp edges and extended drain spouts on roof.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

Have always covered ours using ADCO generic covers - the mid-grade version currently called the Designer Series SFS Aquashed, which has been greatly upgraded from prior generation! Before this one, typically got 5 years out of each cover (small patching/sewing through the years) before replacement was a must, and we only cover in the winter. I live right along the river, so our wind exposure is TREMENDOUS and the camper parking is full southern exposure. We tend to get severe icing, which I find to be hardest on the cover. Wind has never been a problem for a properly secured cover! I will say with the generic covers you MUST take up the slack securely though, which means you may need to add a few sets of tarp clamps and some bungee cords.

As others said, you must pay attention to the sharp edges! Gutter extensions are bad (our new ADCO cover come with socks for them!) but so are the sharp edges on awning poles, slide topper brackets, etc. What I do is buy cheap foam pipe insulation in various diameters and use that to pad these sharp edges adding a zip tie here and there to keep it in-place as needed. Another thing, put pipe insulation on the belly straps of the cover where they wrap the lower edge of the camper to protect the finish as the nylon and the buckle can abraid. Finally, do not pull the cover tight as tight can be! That is a mistake so many make! It needs to have a little room the breath without causing damage and to balance wind pressure on the windward and leeward sides. Oh yeah, the new ADCO incorporates vents to help do this too! I'm not in anyway affiliated with ADCO, but have to say I was really please for the dollar value with the latest rendition of the cover because of the small features mentioned plus the front/rear straps now provided, much improved zipper cushioning and needed strain relief now there, plus more points of reinforcement at critical areas!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #15

Used the socks and they burst right through the cover. First TT. So much to learn. Not impressed with the new ADCO cover, but what do I know. two of my neighbors leave theirs uncovered.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #16

I have a new TT and tossed the idea of covering around a long time this past fall, I probably drove everyone crazy being indecisive but decided not to cover because I believe a breathable cover lets water through and freezes the cover to the roof anyway, I think I would be more concerned having it covered or protected during the summer in a hot climate. Personal preference topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
NOREASTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #17

Have always covered my trailers for the winter and always will. Parked under trees and I don't have to worry about small branches digging into the roof or water freezing around the seals
Old 02-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #18

Where we store our PUP it doesn't get much direct sun, so it's not covered at all. But when we get a TT, it ~will~ get some sun - and we live in Tucson, so sun is what we're worried about. Putting a cover directly over it seems like it'd just bake ... so we're thinking about making a topper with PVC pipes, supported by padded PVC feet on the roof, and extending a few inches out on the sides, front, and back. Then we'll drape a tarp or canvas over that. We'll still be able to open the door, and there'll be air flow so the heat can dissipate, and we can tie it down to the wheels so it won't blow off. Has anyone else tried this? Are we missing some duuh reason that this won't work?
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshnJim View Post
Where we store our PUP it doesn't get much direct sun, so it's not covered at all. But when we get a TT, it ~will~ get some sun - and we live in Tucson, so sun is what we're worried about. Putting a cover directly over it seems like it'd just bake ... so we're thinking about making a topper with PVC pipes, supported by padded PVC feet on the roof, and extending a few inches out on the sides, front, and back. Then we'll drape a tarp or canvas over that. We'll still be able to open the door, and there'll be air flow so the heat can dissipate, and we can tie it down to the wheels so it won't blow off. Has anyone else tried this? Are we missing some duuh reason that this won't work?
I can not see a reason why not it really the same as a overhang, just make sure you will have good circulation that is the key. The sun is the killer even just an above roof would work...Good Luck
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #20
Tyler & Connie Foxx

Size Integrity

How's that subject line for an attention grabber?

For those who have bought covers, how true to their sizes are they? We have a 37.5' TT and ADCO seems to go only up to 37'... is there enough flexibility to accommodate the extra half-foot? Seems like we'd end up with a lot of extra, unnecessary cover by going up to the next size by another manufacturer. If we're going to have to patch and repair it periodically due to wind, gutter spouts, etc., I'd rather not spend another $100 to move up to a larger size if it's not needed.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tags
camper, cover, winter