Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Winter camping prep

I would like to thank all the folks in this community. Great advice, tips and tricks.

2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3008w (Front Kitchen).

Getting ready for our first winter FULL TIME camping in MD/DC. Seeking additional recommendations and advice:

Current plan checklist:
1. Insulate windows and vents
2. Swap drain hoses for PVC
3. Heated fresh water hose
4. Skirting
5. Carpeting
6. Insulate inside cabinets
7. Two electric radiators + electric fireplace
8. Two oscillating fans
9. Two halogen work-lights (for underbelly heat)
10. Installed tank heaters
11. Furnace as back up (extra tank)
12. Generator back up power (extra fuel)
13. Insulate exterior storage/access compartments

Questions:
1. Anyone have experience with the EZ Snap Skirting System? https://youtu.be/SQVFj6Sp5uc
2. Thoughts on removing window screens for better access to window surfaces (condensation, seals, etc)?
3. Would using an RV/TT storage cover be a viable option for helping to insulate a TT while full-time winter living (like a winter coat for the TT)? Do they allow sufficient access/venting/connections?

Thanks in advance!
Fsqual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have thought this out but I do have a few more things to think about. I would recommend a dehumidifier to deal with the condensation you will have. Also be sure you do have enough power to run all those heaters and halogens. It is easy to go over 30 amps but you may be able to also use the separate 20 amp circuit found on most power pedestals. The skirting is very a good idea but not sure about a cover. I am assuming you mean to put those halogen lamps inside the skirting and not actually inside the underbelly. I think doing that would be a fire hazard as they get very hot with no type of built-in control or safeties. I would pour some rv anti-freeze in to the holding tanks after each dump to help keep the valves from freezing. Be sure to park the trailer on wood planks to keep the tires from getting frozen to the ground should you need to move or from sinking in the mud when the ground thaws.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

Great points! Thank you! I've always been a believer in the advantages of a little extra prep effort. Always best to lean on others for experience and ideas!

We will be on 50amp but I had not considered how much extra amp draw we will need. We will def have to use the extra power connection. Also we only have a Yamaha 3000 generator so our emergency/contingency plan will have to be scaled back. I doubt it will power everything.
Fsqual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. DW and I are fulltimers in KY, about 30 miles south of Cincinnati Ohio. Winters can get pretty cold at times. This past winter was our first. I bought the skirting that you are considering. A few things I will do different with it this year. The wind plays havic on the skirting. I will place more clips that hold it on to the pvc. I will also glue or screw all the pvc joints and figure out a better way to anchor it to the ground. I also placed two space heaters with tip over protection on a platform to keep them out of any moisture, under there.
If your basement compartment has plumbing in it I would place one in there to. They don't have to be turned up real high just enough to keep chill out. I checked them on a regular basis to insure that all was good, checked cords for ware marks and that they where not hot to the touch.
I made my own heated water hose. Just need a good heat tape and pipe insulation. Use electrical tape to tape the heat tape to hose and cover it with the pipe insulation. I made my 10' last year for about $25.
I also used pvc for sewer line.
My rig has a heat pump on the main ac unit, electric fireplace in living room along with a built-in wall heater in bed room. Furnace was only used on the real cold day ( below 37). Could keep it at 80 inside if I wanted to.
If you have slide outs with toppers. I put 1 inch foam board, the width of the slide out and put a 2x4 on edge to support the topper. If you are in an area that can get heavy snow and ice.
I would get the lpg tank check monitoring system and an extra lpg tank or two. If you run out of lpg in the middle of a cold night you will like having extra on hand.
Good luck and enjoy, it's not as bad as you think it is. There are a lot of people doing it, it can be done. Just keep an eye on everything.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

Not trying to hijack your thread but our trailer came with the tank heAters. The instructions say not to run the heAters unless there is liquid in the tank. My understanding is that they are thermostaticly controlled. Why would it matter if there was water in it?
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #6

Mine did also. My grays are open all the time and I do not keep fresh water. I only turn my tank heaters on when it is going to be below 32 for several hours or days. But with the heated under belly and the space heaters under skirting it is not that big of an issue.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #7

I just finished winterizing my Windjammer 3006wk. However, I do plan on RVing once per month during the winter months. Am I better off winterizing-de-winterizing-winterizing with the RV anti-freeze each time, or is there another/better way to do this? Also, an indoor heated storage is not an option. Thanks in advance.
ShastaJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #8

A little late to the party but we are surviving a very cold Wisconsin winter. With the heated underbelly and skirting we have had minimal issues. We got our skirting from Custom RV skirting out of South Dakota. They travel to different areas to measure and return to install. I chose them because of their channel system. They also sell slide blankets, I will be adding one for the bedroom slide. I also purchased a propane torpedo heater if I have an issue underneath I need to add heat to resolve. I also recommend (if your campground allows) a larger propane tank and delivery. We have 120 gallon (30 pound tank is about 7 gallons) tank. Doesn't require offset from the 5er in Wisconsin. Propane for first fill was $1.49 a gallon and subsequent fill is $1.69 significantly less than refill stations.
1998 Rockwood popup
John Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter