Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

Winter cover

Just bought new TT this year. Looking to purchase cover for it. Want to protect from freezing rain and snow. What do you recommend for cover?

Thanks Scott
Old 09-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
Kasual Kamper

Lots of threads on this. Have you tried using Search? Are you looking for winter storage or a winter cover?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:59 PM   #3

An enclosed building is best. I paid for totally-enclosed storage in a former factory building for three years before I had a RV garage pole building built. I personally wouldn’t use a cover. I worry that it would beat against the RV in the wind causing abrasion, hold moisture in, not protect from hail or falling limbs in an ice storm. I was charged a monthly storage fee based upon total length. The storage facility filled up in October, so I paid storage rent starting in October just to hold space reserved even though I camp for thanksgiving and don’t store until December. I recommend finding a totally enclosed facility first, a partially enclosed one second choice (often fairgrounds rent space in livestock barns, providing a roof but not totally enclosed). A cover would be a last resort.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Lots of threads on this. Have you tried using Search? Are you looking for winter storage or a winter cover?
Looking for winter cover
Old 10-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #5

We bought our first TT last fall and I bought a winter cover, but didn't get it on before the snow hit. There were only a couple TT's in the storage lot with covers on them, and as noted above, they flapped to beat the band when the wind picked up, and have holes at all the gutter spouts. Mine is still in box and may stay there, I haven't decided yet. I did buy a breathable one (from Walmart I think).
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Changed title to "cover", instead of "storage"
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
We bought our first TT last fall and I bought a winter cover, but didn't get it on before the snow hit. There were only a couple TT's in the storage lot with covers on them, and as noted above, they flapped to beat the band when the wind picked up, and have holes at all the gutter spouts. Mine is still in box and may stay there, I haven't decided yet. I did buy a breathable one (from Walmart I think).
If you buy a good quality cover that fits properly, it shouldn't flap. Mine has straps that secure it pretty well and I also stake mine down. A simple cheap solution for holes at the gutter spouts is to cut an "X" into four old tennis balls and insert them over the spouts before you put the cover on. Works like a charm.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

I used to cover my TT but quit after I found the mice use the cover as a way to get into the upper fridge side vent. I had hot glued fiberglass screen on the inside of the fridge vents to keep the hornets out and the mice chewed through the screen. The area above the fridge was full of acorns, seeds and other mouse goodies.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
I have done some research on this and the two companies I have found thus far that use Sunbrella material are Calmark Cover and Covercraft. They just recently sent me a sample. I am deciding which one to use. I found on this forum that Sunbrella is the only material that will last for years unless you live where there is no wind what so ever. It's a little pricey but will protect the trailer. Since this topic comes up every so often, I hope to post a review after I have owned mine for over a year. Hope that helps.

Best of luck!
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #10
Kasual Kamper

Being in the South, you definitely have a different need than those of us in the frigid North.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
True, I am trying to protect mine from primarily sun fade, bugs, bird droppings etc. The Sunbrella material would work up North as well. If you buy anything less like those ADCO covers, they won't survive half a winter season. I have seen the pics posted on the forum from those that tried them. Sunbrella is a strong material. I have used slightly thicker Sunbrella on boats that lasted for many years.
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #12

Thanks for the tennis ball idea. $3.00 saves $300

First year with an rv sunseeker mbs 2400 w had plenty of boats but this is a challenge. I think I got the winterizing thing down. What s the thought on pulling the coach batteries? I'm in Breckenridge co winter is a bit long . Thinking of starting it up every month or so . Where it's stored I have no access to electricity
Thanks
Bob
Livin the dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #13
Kasual Kamper

Pull the battery and put it on a tender over the winter. That's what I do.

Tags
storage, winter