Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #1

Winter Towing Salt Protection

Any tips on protecting underside of RV from road salt during winter towing.

I had a RV that we ordered but came in late due to some issues, it was pulled thru slush and salt, well 6 month later the underside was rusting, paint peeling and corrosion.
So my new RV hasn't been in salt yet, I was thinking on spraying the underside with mineral oil before towing it and trying to tow on clear, dry road days.

I did a search but nothing came up.
Any tips.
RVDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #2

The link below will take you to the KROWN website. Although it's not too well known in the U.S., it's the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to preventing rust on under-bellies of cars, trucks, and trailers. You can buy the product in a spray can for $9.95 a can on their web site. This is exactly what you NEED! PM me if you need additional info as it's on my RAM Laramie and the underside is still perfect after 2 Iowa winters.

https://www.krown.com
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #3

Salt-Away's Product Family ...
Old 09-23-2016, 10:53 PM   #4

Mineral oil may damage the wood floor. Once it's on, you cannot apply another product without a really complete cleaning to remove all of it.

This stuff works very well:

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45004-...s=por-15+paint

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

In 2015, we first started looking for a used motor home. We happened upon a two year old Class C that appeared well taken care of. It was impressive until I crawled under it. I never knew an undercarriage could get that rusty in such a short time.

While returning from looking at another used coach, we stopped into an RV dealer. The dealer had two 2014s discounted on the lot. One of them was a Sunseeker 2500TS of which we are now the owners. Fortunately, the RV was delivered in the warmer weather.

Knowing what we had seen of rusty undercarriages, the very first thing we did was to undercoat the frame and bare steel framing. We used bed liner spray for the hitch, exposed areas, and the bare metal. Then applied rubberized undercoat. A year later, it is holding up extremely well.

It was a very messy project. A tarp was used to cover the drive under the working area. Long sleeves, long pants, face and eye protection, as well as covering the hair. Consider the clothing will be disposable. We found that Rustoleum made the bed liner coating and undercoating in spray cans. It took at lease 8 cans of bed liner coating and 10 cans of undercoating for a 27' coach. These cans will spray to the last drop. Mineral spirits for cleanup. The Walmart automotive department had the best price. They carried a limited supply, so it was a couple of trip to the stores. It was well worth the effort.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
In 2015, we first started looking for a used motor home. We happened upon a two year old Class C that appeared well taken care of. It was impressive until I crawled under it. I never knew an undercarriage could get that rusty in such a short time.

While returning from looking at another used coach, we stopped into an RV dealer. The dealer had two 2014s discounted on the lot. One of them was a Sunseeker 2500TS of which we are now the owners. Fortunately, the RV was delivered in the warmer weather.

Knowing what we had seen of rusty undercarriages, the very first thing we did was to undercoat the frame and bare steel framing. We used bed liner spray for the hitch, exposed areas, and the bare metal. Then applied rubberized undercoat. A year later, it is holding up extremely well.

It was a very messy project. A tarp was used to cover the drive under the working area. Long sleeves, long pants, face and eye protection, as well as covering the hair. Consider the clothing will be disposable. We found that Rustoleum made the bed liner coating and undercoating in spray cans. It took at lease 8 cans of bed liner coating and 10 cans of undercoating for a 27' coach. These cans will spray to the last drop. Mineral spirits for cleanup. The Walmart automotive department had the best price. They carried a limited supply, so it was a couple of trip to the stores. It was well worth the effort.
You sprayed bedliner as the first coat or only on exposed metal? I am trying to determine the best route to go on my TT. There is already rust showing and we have not had it a year. Did you have a picture or two? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #7

I prefer an oil over bed liners and paints etc. The oil will creep into seems and cracks. Berliners will not. Salt will penitrate any little crack or hole or run down from above. I don't believe anyone can do a good enough job with a coating to prevent it getting in somewhere. The the rust ooccurring in some hidden seam is worse than the surface rust you can see. I do not spray the trailer but it has not been towed in salt. I do spray both the car and truck and atv trailers and things that do get towed in the winter. I just lay down and big old tarp. Drive whatever on on the tarp and start up the compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-na...0VCEVSRZATFNNF
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
You sprayed bedliner as the first coat or only on exposed metal? I am trying to determine the best route to go on my TT. There is already rust showing and we have not had it a year. Did you have a picture or two? Thanks!
Where there was visible bare metal, I used bed liner spray first. When it dried, I went over it with rubberized undercoat. I did the hitch with bed liner spray only.

A suggestions, there are a number of spray-on rust neutralizers on the market that will turn the rust gray and seals the surface from future rust. They have a mild acid base, so use care to protect your exposed skin and eyes. I used a product called OSPHO when we restored our son's 69 Mustang 15 years ago. It takes 24 hrs to cure. The Mustang is still rust free. It is not available everywhere, but I have found it since at Ace Hardware. It comes in quarts and you would have to put it in a spray bottle or spray gun if using it overhead. I still use it. Again, protect yourself when using it. It is mild, so it won't burn a hole in your clothes, but it will tingle the skin.

Sorry, the job was so messy that did not take pictures.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #9

PenJoe,

Thanks for the response!

Tags
towing, winter