Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

Winterizing

Greetings, trying to winterize my '13 Chaparral 280 RLS 5er for the first time. Can't access the hot water heater as it is totally enclosed on the inside so therefore can't get at the bypass valves. Of course when I start pumping in the pink stuff, it pours through the heater tank. Don't want to fill the heater with 6 gallons of pink stuff. Any other way to bypass the water heater? Thanks....
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

It depends on where your heater is located. In our 282 RK, it's hidden under the wardrobe closet in the bedroom. The only way to get to it is take out the wardrobe and dresser drawers.
I sometimes wonder if the engineers of these things ever use them!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Winterizing

Thanks for the reply. The heater is under the shower in the bathroom. I figured it out by crawling into the outside storage area and removing the wall and was able to get at the rear of the heater. Thanks again.....
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
It depends on where your heater is located. In our 282 RK, it's hidden under the wardrobe closet in the bedroom. The only way to get to it is take out the wardrobe and dresser drawers.
I sometimes wonder if the engineers of these things ever use them!
Often wondered that myself, and I doubt it.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #5

I'm not a great DIYer but I think I can do the basics. Should I pay to have someone winterize for me or is pretty easy to do myself?
bluehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Site Team

You can winterize for <$10 if you have a winterizing valve on your water system. <$30 if you need to add one. No special skills required and you know it was done right. Many Videos will show you how do do it yourself ( One link below). Should take you less than 45 mins first time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehighway View Post
I'm not a great DIYer but I think I can do the basics. Should I pay to have someone winterize for me or is pretty easy to do myself?
I do not know what type unit you have but IF you miss just (1) thing it will cost you more than what the Winterizing will cost to have done by a Proper person! If you are allowed to watch while it is being done and (Take Notes) next time you should feel comfortable doing it! Your call! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize