Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Winterizing Water Heater!

I have received conflicting information from various dealers regarding the winterizing of my 2007 Coachmen Mirada 330SL Motorhome. It has a water control panel which can be set to "winterize" and then pumps antifreeze thru the system. The dealer who I bought the used RV from instructed me to bypass the heater when winterizing but when we inspected the heater, there was no bypass valves at the back of it. He suggested that I would need about 13 gallons of antifreeze to winterize the whole system including the water tank if I didn't bypass it. I recently used the motorhome for the first time on a trip to Florida and on my return home to cold weather, stopped in at a RV Dealer in Georgia to get them to put in a bypass to the heater. They informed me I didn't need one as the control panel has one "built-in" and automatically bypasses the water heater when set to "winterize". I proceeded in winterizing using the panel, and left open the drain valve on the water heater to verify it's bypass. Antifreeze came out of the drain valve much to my surprise but also came out of all faucets in the MH . Once again, I stopped at yet another dealer and they said, "sometimes they put an automatic heater bypass into the water control panel & sometimes not. For a price, they would inspect the panel and check all valves to ensure they are functioning & put in a bypass valve if needed. I decided since I had antifreeze flowing thru out the system and some in the bottom of the water heater, it should be winterized. Does anyone have any information they can share with me on this winterizing process and whether I have protected my unit from freezing? Thanks for helping this "newbie"

Cottageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
As long as you drained the w/h by taking your rod out or pulling the plug which ever model you have and have pink at all outlets including toilet and out door shower and pour some doun you sink for the pee traps you should be done. Cw sells a kit and valve that you can hook directly to your pump if you do not have the winterization connection . I have been reading about people dumping it in the FW tank. I would never do that, It would take days to get out. Most fresh water tanks outlet is like 1 to 2" above the bottom, just drain it. anything left will just expand, won't hurt anything.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

heater, water, water heater, winter, winterize