Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Exclamation Word of advice on remote electric awnings

Not sure if this has been discussed before but about a year ago I was leaving a campground and was about a mile out when I saw what looked like a tornado out my passenger mirror. There were leaves, vines and sticks flying everywhere.
I couldn't see it at first but my awning had extended all the way out and had been tearing through the woods for about 600 yards. I know it was in when I left the dump station because I always do a final walk around before I get in my truck.
My only explanation was I had the awning remote in my pocked and I think my "husky" thighs had depressed the button on the remote extending it while I was going down the road.
To top it off, the vines that I had to unwrap from the awning were poison ivy. That trip cost me a $2000 awning and some hospital time.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed before but about a year ago I was leaving a campground and was about a mile out when I saw what looked like a tornado out my passenger mirror. There were leaves, vines and sticks flying everywhere.
I couldn't see it at first but my awning had extended all the way out and had been tearing through the woods for about 600 yards. I know it was in when I left the dump station because I always do a final walk around before I get in my truck.
My only explanation was I had the awning remote in my pocked and I think my "husky" thighs had depressed the button on the remote extending it while I was going down the road.
To top it off, the vines that I had to unwrap from the awning were poison ivy. That trip cost me a $2000 awning and some hospital time.

That's exactly why I came up with an awning lock, plus we leave the remote control in the trailer. With the awning lock engaged, the motor cannot overcome the lock.
Forest River Forums - dunnnc's Album: Awning lock

Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Remote stays in camper.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #4

This is not easy to achieve on the remote that came with our unit. You have to first press the "On" button on one end of the remote, then wait 3-5 seconds for the boot up crap. Then press the "^" and "Sel" keys at the same time. If my thighs are able to do that, I am joining the circus. As far as the whole deal goes, I always toss the keys in the center console when driving. Removes the possibility entirely then. I may never know how talented my thighs can be...
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #5

My remote also stays in the trailer. Also I wired mine with an a/b switch that allows me to select either the remote or the wired switch. When we shut down for travel the a/b switch gets flipped to shut off the wireless remote.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese53073 View Post
My remote also stays in the trailer. Also I wired mine with an a/b switch that allows me to select either the remote or the wired switch. When we shut down for travel the a/b switch gets flipped to shut off the wireless remote.
Mine is wired so it can be worked with either the remote or the inside switch without changing anything. I just put the lock on the awning to insure against a possible fluke with the remote control box receiving a signal and the very remote possiblility of the motor disengaging from the awning tube and allowing the awning to unroll like the dude in England had happen on his mh.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Mine is wired so it can be worked with either the remote or the inside switch without changing anything. I just put the lock on the awning to insure against a possible fluke with the remote control box receiving a signal and the very remote possiblility of the motor disengaging from the awning tube and allowing the awning to unroll like the dude in England had happen on his mh.
Hi Dunnnc,

Many thanks for posting the pictures of the awning lock this is something that will be added to the new awning when it is fitted by the repair shop. The sun has finally started to shine in the U.K. and I could do with some shade now but the awning has not cleared U.K. customs yet.

The dude in England
The Limeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limeys View Post
Hi Dunnnc,

Many thanks for posting the pictures of the awning lock this is something that will be added to the new awning when it is fitted by the repair shop. The sun has finally started to shine in the U.K. and I could do with some shade now but the awning has not cleared U.K. customs yet.

The dude in England
If I can be of assistance, just let me know and I will be more than willing to send more pictures or anything else. It was because of your experience that I devised mine. I have since seen others made without moding the end of the awning using a big hose clamp & a heavy duty picture hanger & chain.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Grat post! Makes you think abut where that remote is after you start down the Blvd.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Mine cannot work as I have a seperate remote awning power switch that is lit when the remote is enabled like the water pump etc. It is part of our tear down to shut all lit switchs off so no matter how hard you try and push buttons or a freak thing that some thing else triggers the receiver.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I also installed a switch to select "remote" operation or "normal" operation.

It stays in "Normal" (with the remote hanging on the key rack) unless we are in camp and then the remote is clipped to the camper keys. It is removed and "re-hung" as part of our "break camp" checklist.

This was a result of an inadvertent partial deployment when I was squatting checking air pressure in the tires before we left on our first camping trip after the remote was installed. I heard the motor and knew right away what the problem was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Photos 013.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	17125  
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I also installed a switch to select "remote" operation or "normal" operation.

It stays in "Normal" (with the remote hanging on the key rack) unless we are in camp and then the remote is clipped to the camper keys. It is removed and "re-hung" as part of our "break camp" checklist.

This was a result of an inadvertent partial deployment when I was squatting checking air pressure in the tires before we left on our first camping trip after the remote was installed. I heard the motor and knew right away what the problem was.
I know it is after the fact, but the lock is a definite lock against all freak incidents happening. I was always worried about all our awnings (manual and power) coming unfurled during transport. Sure feel a lot better with the lock on it.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #13

I don't believe mine came with a remote , I take it the remote is about the size of a key FOB?
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md Jeff View Post
I don't believe mine came with a remote , I take it the remote is about the size of a key FOB?
This was a mod that some members (including me) installed based on work by F1100turbo

lazy man's power awning mod .
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
This was a mod that some members (including me) installed based on work by F1100turbo

lazy man's power awning mod .
Thanks for the link
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #16

Would this work for double awnings?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-825605836.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	17141  
JBJ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yep
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo
Yep
Thanks. Now to find time to install between a rotation in the box at Louisiana next week and a fast approaching deployment in a few months.
JBJ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #19

Hi Guys,

My awning extended itself whilst travelling at 60 mph, needless to say I am now awaiting a new awning as part of an insurance claim.

On the WeatherPro power awning there is a bolt that holds the motor shaft to the awning arm, this had managed to unscrew itself and allow the awning to un-roll and extend, bolt needs to be checked regularly but for peace of mind DUNNNC's awning lock seems to be the answer. All the isolator switches in the world will not help if that bolt comes out.

John
The Limeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limeys View Post
Hi Guys,

My awning extended itself whilst travelling at 60 mph, needless to say I am now awaiting a new awning as part of an insurance claim.

On the WeatherPro power awning there is a bolt that holds the motor shaft to the awning arm, this had managed to unscrew itself and allow the awning to un-roll and extend, bolt needs to be checked regularly but for peace of mind DUNNNC's awning lock seems to be the answer. All the isolator switches in the world will not help if that bolt comes out.

John
Yikes
Was this a result of the "remote" mod or a failure of the motor shaft screw?

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags
awning