Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Yet another storage question...

I'm a brand new owner (okay I'm not brand new but my trailer is and I'm brand new to TT's) of a 2012 Rockwood1905, gross trailer weight just over 4000 lb. Single axle. Am contemplating winter storage (outside in my driveway) My question is, how important is it to get the weight off the tires? If the need is to jack the trailer up, the procedure I contemplate is to measure to ground from level, lower front of trailer, place stack jacks of appropriate poundage under the frame at the back about 4" higher than my level, then use tongue jack to raise trailer front & insert stack jacks under the frame at the front & then lower the tongue jack & adjust stack jacks until trailer is level front to back. (assuming I've already leveled side to side and chocked wheels to prevent movement)
If all this is necessary, where on the frame is the best place for the stack jacks?
Thanks to all the forum contributors I think I have a handle on winterizing the plumbing, may try that this weekend or next.
Any other hints or tips on outside storage would be appreciated i.e. how important is an RV cover or wheel/tire covers. I'm mindful of humidity issues.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies!!!
Norm in Ontario (Canada, not California!)
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The Worst Enemy of Your Stored*RV

From time to time most RV owners, who are not full timers, have to store their RV for a while. It may only be for a few weeks or it could be for several months. Even though the RV is stored you need to take a few extra steps to protect it from the sun. Yes, the sun can be the worst enemy of your stored RV.*Protecting your RV from the sun is critical if you don’t want to replace your tires much more often than necessary. Other rubber and plastic items such as windshield wipers also need protecting.*While it may seem counter intuitive, driving your RV more frequently will help protect your tires. Flexing them releases chemicals made into the tires that help protect them from the sun. However, if you are parking your RV for a while one of the first things you need to do is buy tire covers.**A windshield cover that extends from one front door to the other on a class C is a worthwhile choice. This cover protects not only the windshield wipers, but the dash and all of the front interior of your RV. In a large class A your protective covering might well go inside the windows.*Most, if not all, tire manufacturers suggest that you not use a product to make your tires shine. However, if you want to use such a product make certain that it is non petroleum based. Several products including: Lucky Earth Tire Shine from alice.com; and Gloss It TRV from glossitonline.com are available.*There is disagreement on whether you should put something under your tires to keep them off the ground. If you choose to do this make certain that what you use fully supports the tires.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
TeresaInCAL

I believe the idea isn't taking weight off the tires, as much as minimizing the contact with dirt. Dirt/mud can help break down the rubber. This is why you'll see people put cement pavers under the tires.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

That is my philosophy keep the tires off the grass and dirt. Stone, concrete, or treated lumber should be put under them during storage. Also keep the sun off of the tires because it will dry them out. Also some of the commercial tire cleaners or blackeners will also dry them out I have been told by tire professionals. There are cleaners and conditioners use the conditioners that keep the rubber supple and moist. We used them on our fire trucks and the tires held up for years since our trucks only had about 3500 miles in 20 years service. We were a volunteer dept. in 3x5 mile twp. so when the trucks were taken out they never went far. But they had a ton of hours on them. We had to have our tires taken off and inspected aver so many years and we never had one get dry rot. If your storing a motor home I would change the oil before storing it and depending how long it's stored (6 Mo's or longer) I'd change the oil before taking any extended trips( condescension). Also check all fluid and grease and inspect the bearings. Also a good time to inspect your roof and seams for leaks or cracked sealant. Clean your ac filters and any other maintenance that may need be done.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaxle View Post
That is my philosophy keep the tires off the grass and dirt. Stone, concrete, or treated lumber should be put under them during storage. Also keep the sun off of the tires because it will dry them out. Also some of the commercial tire cleaners or blackeners will also dry them out I have been told by tire professionals. There are cleaners and conditioners use the conditioners that keep the rubber supple and moist. We used them on our fire trucks and the tires held up for years since our trucks only had about 3500 miles in 20 years service. We were a volunteer dept. in 3x5 mile twp. so when the trucks were taken out they never went far. But they had a ton of hours on them. We had to have our tires taken off and inspected aver so many years and we never had one get dry rot. If your storing a motor home I would change the oil before storing it and depending how long it's stored (6 Mo's or longer) I'd change the oil before taking any extended trips( condescension). Also check all fluid and grease and inspect the bearings. Also a good time to inspect your roof and seams for leaks or cracked sealant. Clean your ac filters and any other maintenance that may need be done.
What do you guys use on the tires?
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

With the lightweight frames used on many travel trailers, I don't think using jacks to get the tires off of the ground is a good idea.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #7

I use wolmanized lumber under the tires. And purchased the vinyl covers at my local rv store. I also have seen some folks at our seasonal cg make a wood box to cover them from the sun and weather. You can buy the vinyl covers in different wheel sizes and they go on real easy.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #8

X2 on getting tires off ground (I use 2x10) also get a/c cover. Too bad our RV season is short
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote