Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

You may want to check yours ....

Just discovered that FR did not run my fridge drain to the outside, ... they just let the tube drip inside the compartment and since that is "inside" the tt, then that dripping water is going to/did end up somewhere inside which will eventually result in damage, .... first notice was a soft spot in bath floor, ... all I can do at this point is get everything dry and hope for the best, little but preferably NO damage, ..... you may want to check yours, ..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0612.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	142204   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0615.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	142205  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Just discovered that FR did not run my fridge drain to the outside, ... they just let the tube drip inside the compartment and since that is "inside" the tt, then that dripping water is going to/did end up somewhere inside which will eventually result in damage, .... first notice was a soft spot in bath floor, ... all I can do at this point is get everything dry and hope for the best, little but preferably NO damage, ..... you may want to check yours, ..........
Thanks for the heads up. Our is connected, routed and I've seen it drip to the outside. Of course, it's connected with that brittle plastic which could fail at any time...

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

Ours is hanging above a metal tray that catches the drips just behind the lower vent on the outside....does not go out the vent itself
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Team

They usually just push the plastic drain tube through one of the holes in the cover.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

I noticed on mine the fridge cover vent panel doesn't do a good job of keeping rain out of the compartment. I bought some white vinyl tape and taped the gaps where the panel snaps into place.
ronj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
Gravity challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Ours is hanging above a metal tray that catches the drips just behind the lower vent on the outside....does not go out the vent itself
I wonder if it's a Norcold .vs Dometic design?
The Norcold in our our old 2011 829RKSS had a tray that caught the water from the drain hose. I often wondered where they thought the water would go if the pan overflowed.
The drain hose for our Dometic in our 2017 is pushed through the vent to the outside.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Bob_Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #7

You may want to check yours ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
I wonder if it's a Norcold .vs Dometic design?

The Norcold in our our old 2011 829RKSS had a tray that caught the water from the drain hose. I often wondered where they thought the water would go if the pan overflowed.

The drain hose for our Dometic in our 2017 is pushed through the vent to the outside.

Ours is a Dometic

It is a rather large tray - the water probably evaporates quick enough not to overflow....have never seen any indication of overflow inside that area
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #8

Not dismissing your observation, but I have had my door off bunches of times and the RV isn't very old. I or someone else could fail to stick through cover. PDI possibly?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #9

My Norcold has the metal tray to catch the drips. I guess they hope the water will evaporate before the tray overflows. I rerouted the tube through the cover to the outside.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #10

"fella 10"....
Sorry to hear that you have discovered a soft spot caused by the drain hose of the fridge.

Often the outside access area to the fridge is not even caulked and any water via the drain hose, wind driven rain or sprayed from wash down hose can , over time, cause a problem in this area.

I took steps to help prevent any water building up along the bottom outer edge where the removable vent cover fits. see picture
A piece of flashing that extends into the cavity and lots of caulking (back and front) helps with any hose drips and rain from reaching the wood areas of the rv floor (under the fridge).

The drain hose in my picture is at the top / right, shows as a half circle with small holes in it, and this is the first unit I have ever owned that came with a screen over the end of the hose to prevent any bugs nesting in there and plugging it.
So... if there is no screen on 'yours'... maybe a good idea to install one.

Islander
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rv Fridge flashing.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	142247  
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Not dismissing your observation, but I have had my door off bunches of times and the RV isn't very old. I or someone else could fail to stick through cover. PDI possibly?
I agree... could have been the factory but more likely the dealer forgot to pull it through the vent door when checking the unit from new. Mine will sometimes try to pull itself back into the rear compartment if I didn't quite pull it through the vent enough.

A good thing to check though none the less.
I'll often peek at my drain to see if it's making water.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I agree... could have been the factory but more likely the dealer forgot to pull it through the vent door when checking the unit from new.
after the posts which say they have a tray to catch the drips and then that allows the water to evaporate, I'm sure that is what was meant to be, but the tray was never installed, .... my drip tube is too short to be pulled thru the vent panel, plus there's no hole in the panel that would have allowed any tube to be stuck thru to the outside, so that wasn't intended to be the method for the drain, ... but I believe the catch tray method was, .... so that is how I've corrected FR's blunder, I cut a tin can to size and positioned it to catch the drips and then let them evaporate, as the metal tray would have done, ... I'll check it for a while to see that the process is working as I think it will, .... our tt got out of the factory with what has proven to be a major flaw, .... so I emphasize, "you may want to check yours", .....

Old 06-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post

Just like the fridge in your kitchen at home.
Gealousy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 PM   #14

Mine's OK. I did enlarge the hole in the grille that it was stuck through, so I could get it in/out easier when I remove the grille. Wish it was 1/2" longer.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder. Mine looks exactly like yours, and I keep forgetting to re-route it to the outside.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #16

Windjammin, did you need to add anything to the hose to route it outside? I thought about doing that and will add it to the list of what I'm doing when it gets home from visiting the trailer kennel on Monday.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #17

The techs that worked on my unit at FROG Rally last year found mine draining to the inside as well and got it fixed for me....along with several other items. They were great!

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

When I got my TT delivered to my site in August 2013 within the first hour of having it I found the drain hose was not hanging out the lower vent cover. I took the cover off and found the hose going around the shield and was touching the chimney then going down be hind the LP line. The way it was routed it was too short to come out through the vent. I did what I needed to get it untangled and routed down and out through the vent. I just reached in above where the hose came down and pulled it up and out from the entanglement. Now it is sticking out about 3 inches.

Make sure the plastic hose is not touching anything that gets hot or it will melt a hole through it.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #19

Quote:
....our tt got out of the factory with what has proven to be a major flaw, .... so I emphasize, "you may want to check yours", .....
the black vinyl under the trailer is intended to seal the bottom to protect moisture from coming into the tt from the bottom, ... but when the moisture is coming from the inside, the vinyl actually seals in the water and prevents it from leaving, ... the results can be bad, .... pics below show the results of Forest River failure to install the tray intended to catch the drip and let it evaporate, ... that didn't happen just over the last two months, but from constant dripping for two yrs. and the water being trapped and held by the bottom vinyl, ... two yr. warranty expired in April, my dealer is in contact with FR today to see if they will take any responsibility, waiting on a reply, ... "you may want to check yours"

I'm not happy to show this has happened to my trailer, but I hope this may help prevent someone else from going thru the same thing, ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0627.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	142348   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0630.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	142349   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0631.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	142350  

Old 06-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #20

Ours was just hanging inside. I rerouted out the vent. But, I also curved it up and out the top vent so it formed a small trap.

That keeps a little water in the line. Otherwise, you have a small hole leading right into the back of your fridge for outside hot air.

Our last trailer we bought used. The tube was all crumbled and broken hanging straight down. The fridge never worked well until I replaced it and put the small trap bend in it. That change made a 7 degree difference in the operation of the fridge.

2021 Coachmen Encore 325SS

2019 Edge ST
Herowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check