Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

1# Propane?

Can these be stored in the pop up? While not in use?
lakecumberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Always Learning

Rightly or wrongly, I did.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

While the pop up is in the closed position?
lakecumberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Always Learning

Yup, under the dinette bench.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecumberland View Post
Can these be stored in the pop up? While not in use?
Do you store them in the house or attached garage at home? I do, and carry them in the camper. I use them for the 2 burner portable stove and Coleman lantern we use at the picnic table (almost never use the stove inside the camper).

I have had a rare leaky cylinder in the past - and simply removed it to outdoors to vent, and then dispose of.

Actually, I feel safer storing them in the A-frame because that does have a propane detector. My house has natural gas furnace, water heater, appliances, and fireplaces, but only has CO detectors. Of course, a reasonably calibrated nose is a pretty good propane/natural gas detector, too.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #6

I think they are fine to store in the pop up. I used to for my grill until I bought a hose to run off my 20lb tanks.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #7

I've stored them in my 19' TT under the dinette, in my shed w/lawnmowers etc and in my plumber's toolbox in the boiler room. As ependydad said, rightly or wrongly.
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #8

Stores keep them on the shelves and inside warehouses with no problem. I once read they were supposed to be stored upright, but I have traveled with them for many years; back in my tent camping days, in a duffle bag and not upright, and never had a problem.

Only thing I was told was to keep them out of extreme hot temperatures, so don't store them in the BBQ grill

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

Store upright, like all lp cylinders. If the do overpressurize, they will vent vapor and not liquid. If they vent liquid, they dump much more and the vent will likely freeze open and dump entire canister i would not store in a place where there was an ignition source. Closet with a gas waterheater sort of thing. Or a place where someone might approach with a flame. Tough to get an example...lighting a cigarette while opening a confined space with cylinders? Otherwise, if you open a confined area and smell LP gas from one of these just let it vent. Clear the area. Take your chain smoking grandma with ya...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #10

I store my spares in my country kitchen, I always store upright and when traveling in the back of the pick up in a milk crate (20 pounder just fits) and I stabilize it, I saw what happens when a larger cylinder flipped and broke the valve, it was like a torpedo, luckily no one was hurt, but it did take out the dash and windshield of the vehicle.
nineoaks2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #11

I have tote that I keep the BBQ, and grilling tools. I keep the propane in there also, upright. The tote lives in the pass-through storage compartment of my TT full time.
Kzutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane