Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

1000W Inverter Tied to Fuse Panel

I have a 2014 Rockwood Freedom 2280BH with a WFCO Ultra III Power Center. It has 6 DC fuses: two 30A and four 20A. It is currently stored away for another couple of months so I don't have access.

Is there anyway I could install the inverter directly to the fuse panel? Perhaps with an add-a-circuit fuse tap?

I will run no more than 10A through the add-a-circuit fuse tap (i.e. 120W) so I think I would be OK. I am not sure what the two 30A fuses are tied to and would chose one these first if possible. Obviously, I would not run the appliance that the fuse if tied to. For example, if the add-a-circuit fuse tap was connected to the water pump fuse, the water pump would not be used while the inverter is installed.

I only need use of this inverter for 1-2 times per year (i.e. man's camping trip to watch a couple of NHL playoff games). All other camping trips, the inverter and appliances will be left home.

Any information would be much appreciated.

B.
Blackhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

If I understand your question right, you are thinking about getting the DC input for the inverter from the converter panel?

When you convert the 1000W AC (and I would guess the surge wattage is much higher) to amp draw on the DC side, its way over 30amps. Your inverter manual should have the info. The issue is going to be the wiring from the battery to the panel is too small. Its probably something like 10 gauge now. For a 1000W inverter, it depends on the length of the run (again, check the inverter manual) but you will need something like 2 gauge or 1/0.

I wouldn't mess with the converter wiring. Any way to put the inverter in a front storage cabinet accessable from the inside? You would probably have to drill 2 holes in the floor and then use a strain relief and some silicone to seal them up, but the inverter should have properly sized cables and be as close to the battery as possible, but in a dry location.

A little more work, but would give you a permanent or semi-permanet setup that should be reliable - and since you have it, you might find other times its handy. We got our first inverter to power 110V awning lights on our popup and used it a lot.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

Dumb Question:

Are the DC fuses live only when the tent trailer is plugged to shore power? Or are they also live when boondocking on 12V?
Blackhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post

Are the DC fuses live only when the tent trailer is plugged to shore power? Or are they also live when boondocking on 12V?
They would be hot any time you have a battery connected as long as the battery has a charge.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, inverter