Old 05-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #11
God Mode

What type of batteries are you using. I bet I can get only two days out of the group 24 85 AH.

I was thinking about getting two group 27 batteries but I don't think it will fit in my Rockwood 1904 (Flagstaff 620st) . Anyone using two size 27?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

I'm using two 27 series deep cycle batts.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #13

I have gone 3 days on my battery but after hitching/rolling for 4-5 hrs, I noticed very little if any charge that happened on my battery while I drove. I have a Tundra with a tow/haul switch. ALSO another battery question..I have power available to plug in my trailer at home..so of course it keeps the battery fully charged all the time. Should I keep the battery switch on and keep it charged or turn it off while not traveling?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #14

Need to find out if the Tundra boost output voltage if in tow haul mode or with headlights on.
On GM vehicles, and I have to assume it is the same for all others, when the vehicle is running, the computer monitors the circuits, devices, VEHICLE's battery, etc. When it sees the battery is fully charged, it will drop generator output to save on the generator's life. No use charging something that is fully charged. (On my past GM vehicles, the charge indicator on a long trip will drop to around 12 volts, just enough to keep the truck running.)
However, with GM trucks in tow haul or with headlights turned manually On, the generator will stay in a higher boost mode, thus sending more juice to the trailer's battery(ies).

Since I have a popup, tow haul is not used, but I travel with the headlights off and the generator's meter pretty much stays at around 14.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
I have gone 3 days on my battery but after hitching/rolling for 4-5 hrs, I noticed very little if any charge that happened on my battery while I drove. I have a Tundra with a tow/haul switch. ALSO another battery question..I have power available to plug in my trailer at home..so of course it keeps the battery fully charged all the time. Should I keep the battery switch on and keep it charged or turn it off while not traveling?
Most tow vehicles only provide a trickle charge, while traveling.
So it would take many hours of driving to expect a low battery to get fully charged.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #16
God Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I'm using two 27 series deep cycle batts.

Do you have two brackets (on onside of the wench cable) to hold the battery?

Wasn't sure if they'd fit there.. Measured I get 11 3/4" x 7 3/4" and thought grp27 would be larger than that.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxters View Post
Do you have two brackets (on onside of the wench cable) to hold the battery?

Wasn't sure if they'd fit there.. Measured I get 11 3/4" x 7 3/4" and thought grp27 would be larger than that.
The 228BH is a Bike Hauler, and since I don't haul a bike, the bike hauler rack is used for the batteries and other storage.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #18

Before you can determine how long the battery lasts, you need to know your load.

For example, the propane heater/furnace in our new 2514Gs is a high efficiency model: 2.7AH.

My camper, for example, came with a Group 24 DEKA battery rated at 75 Amp Hours. So,

So, if you had the furnace on at night but it only came on for 15 minutes per hour it would be something like this:

8x2.7 / 4 equals about 5.4AH per night. If it ran for 30 minutes per hour you'd have 8x2.7/2 or 10.8AH used per night.

That's just the furnace. You'll also be running your water pump a little. Plus the lights and any 12v devices you may have plugged in.

Due to something called Peukert's law, the more dray you put on a battery, the less power you'll get from it. Also, temperature greatly affects the chemistry inside a battery so if it's so cold you're running your battery a lot, then you probably won't get the full efficiency from it.

Also, you don't want to run a 12 Deep cycle battery down below 40% if you can help it.

I just ordered a 100W Renogy Solar Suitcase from Amazon. Should put out around 5AH and keep our setup topped off very well. We're heading to yellowstone next week.

Fly rods, telescopes, bikes, binoculars, collection of dirty boots...
boondoggled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery