Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

12 V Battery

Back to usage of the battery since it is a new feature with my new pup.....how long will it provide power with general use with lights, sound system, maybe heater? I think it will last a bit as long as I don't constantly run electric. I also understand that while towing it recharges.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

This has some variables that need defined. First what size is the battery and what are the AHs?

Under "normal" (whatever that is) conditions a day or two depending on the usage of lights and other draws. The heater uses the 12v system to run the blower mainly. When I had a one battery set up in my old TT I could go 1 day on a charge. I would charge it in the AM and then use lights in the PM as well as run the heater at nght. I would have a little left in the AM again and then I would use my genny to charge it up. You can check out the 12v side of life website for some great info.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

One hint to save battery juice, replace all the interior lights with LEDs. Not expensive and their draw is next to nothing when compared to incandescent bulbs.

As for generally how long? I can't answer since I'm running two, 27 series deep cycles and all the lights are LED. I can easily go three days and nights, even at 20 degrees while running the heater at night.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Most tow vehicles will only provide a trickle charge while driving.
So don't expect to have a low battery recharged in a few hours
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

Thanks all. I understand light general use is very vague. So I will take all the replies and use common sense. My new Rockwood Premier 2514g did come with all LEDs. Which is great. I will be getting a generator, but wanted some feedback 9n general 12V battery usage. If towing is only trickle charging, would anyone recommend a reasonably priced charger?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Some vehicles have ways to boost the trailer battery charging system. For example, Silverado and GMC pickups...
If charging a remote (non-vehicle)
battery, press the Tow/Haul Mode
button, if equipped, located at the
end of the shift lever. This will boost
the vehicle system voltage and
properly charge the battery. If the
trailer is too light for Tow/Haul
Mode, or the vehicle is not equipped
with Tow/Haul, turn on the headlamps as a second way to
boost the vehicle system and
charge the battery.

So, I would guess other mfgrs have some similar way to boost the output to the trailer's battery.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Towing can be more than a trickle charger; it depends on vehicles. For Silverados and GMCs, prior to 2014, if you tow with the headlamps on (not DRLs) the generator will go boost output and supply more than a trickle through the battery wire to the trailer. (Without headlamps on, the computer monitors the TV systems and supplies what is needed to keep running and charge the TV's battery. So it can drop to very low ouput.)

2014 and later, I was told if the computer sees the trailer connected it will boost the output of the generator.

Have to think other mfgrs do the same!
I also read in a Chevrolet manual that if you are in tow/haul mode it boosts output to the trailer constant 12V as well. I don't remember what year that was though. Later models probably.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasparrow View Post
I also read in a Chevrolet manual that if you are in tow/haul mode it boosts output to the trailer constant 12V as well. I don't remember what year that was though. Later models probably.
I corrected my original statement. It does say in tow haul or with lights on, and it does include 2014-2015 Pickups too. I could not find the same statement in my 2015 owner's manual, so the dealers SM said it was automatic. I just did another check and the statement for charging is in both my old 2013 and new 2015 manuals.

I always tow with the lights on; not only to charge the batteries and run the fridge, but to make the trailer more noticeable to those running up my rear end at highways speeds.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmen View Post
If towing is only trickle charging, would anyone recommend a reasonably priced charger?
Your pup has a converter to recharge the battery, all you have to do is plug in the shore cord.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:09 AM   #10

I have yet to try it in the real world but in my driveway I was able to almost fully recharge a single deep cycle battery using 2 150w solar panels. I bought the 300w system from windynation

Tags
battery