Originally Posted by Jr2285
So I recently bought a 2003 206st and we just set it up on our first trip to Florida with it and I think I may have cooked my power inverter. I didn't realize that the inverter is rated for 20 amp and I hooked it up to a 30 amp. We just came back from the beach and none of the lights work. I checked fuses and found a 15 amp blown, replaced it and moved the plug to 20 amp service. Now the fuse that I replaced lit with the little red light like it should but still nothing works. The a/c and outlets work but no lights, porch light, water pump or fan. Did I fry the inverter by plugging it into 30amp or could it be something else? Everything worked perfectly fine at home so I know it's something that happened today. By the way, I reset both breakers also just to make sure it wasn't them, still nothing. Please help...it's going to be a long week with no lights!
I'm kinda confused here. You cannot connect a 20 amp cord to a 30 amp outlet without some kind of adapter. The same thing applies for connecting a 30 amp cord to a 20 amp outlet....or for that matter any combination using any outlet including 50 amp ones. Did you use an adapter?
Here is a pic of the typical campground pedestal. I am posting this so you can check to make sure you are using the correct terminology as to which outlet you connected to so we can tailor the advice best.
Let's briefly explain what the converter does. It provides power to all the 12 DC volt things in your trailer when you are connected to 120 AC power. If you are not connected to 120 volt AC power, then the battery in your RV provides power. You should still have power to your lights...if you have a battery connected correct, and it has a charge.
The converter also recharges your battery, when connected to 120 volt AC.
So if you don't have 12 volt DC, then you have a depleted battery, or other too.
Have you recently replaced or disconnected/connected the battery? The reason I ask this, if you connect the battery wires backwards (it's easy to do if the wires are black and white, as black can be the positive wire)
, it blows what are called reverse polarity fuses to the converter. These fuses blow to prevent the converter from being damaged due to the batteries positive and negative wires being swapped. Sometimes the reverse polarity fuses are in the RV's circuit panel, but depending on brand of converter, they may be on the converter itself.
If your converter has the reverse polarity fuse(s) blown, it cannot provide power to the 12 volt DC things, nor recharge your battery....so when the battery depletes, no 12 volt DC things work.
Also if for some reason you connect to a 240 volt outlet, then you just about always fry the converter, and it has to be replaced. Can I also ask where you are camping, as well as to what you are connected to?
What some people have been able to do while on the road, when they either fry their converter or it just fails to work, is to hook up a battery charger to their battery and power the battery charger from the campground outlet. This way the battery will power all the 12 volt things, and won't deplete due to the converter not functioning.,,,,but I wouldn't haphazardly do this without knowing more of your situation and how the battery is connected.
I would also look for the 12 volt safety breaker switch that raspivey suggested. I had a Trailmanor popup one time, that killed all 12 volt DC power if the switch on the fold up bathroom wall wasn't depressed correct.