Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #1

12v Battery Drains While Driving

So I must be doing something wrong or there is a defect in my new 277HW. Here's the situation. Brand new 27d battery, charged on a tender plus. Installed on camper 2 days before our trip. Although wired, camper still plugged in to AC. Ready to travel: unplug AC, hook up trailer and drive 5 hours to campground. Now unhooked, ready to raise the roof, reduced power on winch, dimmed lights etc. Switch to back up battery, everything works great. Power for 4 days. So it got me thinking about my last outing. Same situation, only this time the battery is dead and not holding charge. Also a one year old battery, charged and installed the same way. This is a serious concern for me as we only dry camp. Had another pop up for years and nerve had a problem. Any thoughts?
PlanetKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

tv should charge as you travel.
rr retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

Yes, I am aware of that. I am bringing in for service tomorrow, but it am hoping to get some advice here in case they are stumped. Again, new charged battery, hooked while driving, dead or drained upon arriving at the campground. It's as if the converter box is destroying the batteries while driving.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Is your fridge on Propane or 12vdc?
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #5

12v. Propane off while traveling.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #6

Was it the same truck you were using with the pop up that never had a problem? Either way it's probably worth checking the plug on the truck to make sure the 12v power line to the trailer is working.

That said unlikely a 5 hour drive would drain a battery if the AC was keeping it successfully charged at the house.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

Checking the truck plug is just what my service man said when I called to make the appointment. You may be on the right track. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your converter cannot drain the battery while driving.
Why not use gas while traveling?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #9

I didn't think it was safe to travel with propane on.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetKid View Post
I didn't think it was safe to travel with propane on.
most of us travel with propane on.
I've done it for 14 + years.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #11

That is my guess also. There may be a problem with the connection from the TV.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #12

Would it be okay to travel with propane on while on an auto ferry. This is how we always travel to escape from Long Island.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Would it be okay to travel with propane on while on an auto ferry. This is how we always travel to escape from Long Island.
I would check with ferry regulations.
I believe youroo has traveled by ferry he may know.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the Ferry would require it off. But, your 12vdc fridge is a power hog! I am reading the instructions for Dometic 3 way fridges (https://www.dometic.com/4e0e2322-4af...1478e943.fodoc) and it states to use a 30 amp fuse and 10 gauge wire up to 17 feet and 8 gauge for up to 27 feet.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #15

Be serious, if there isn't a regulation yet for propane on ferry travel, some gov't bureaucrat probably lost his place, in writting it, from too many coffee and donut breaks!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I am pretty sure that the Ferry would require it off. But, your 12vdc fridge is a power hog! I am reading the instructions for Dometic 3 way fridges (https://www.dometic.com/4e0e2322-4af...1478e943.fodoc) and it states to use a 30 amp fuse and 10 gauge wire up to 17 feet and 8 gauge for up to 27 feet.
I've think you have identified the wrong model fridge for a pop-up. The diagrams show a control panel on the front of the fridge, which is not feasible on a PUP (or A-frame). With the camper folded down, the fridge controls have to be accessed from an outside hatch, typically at the rear of the fridge.

That said, the model linked to has a 150 watt DC heater, which means about 12.5 amps at 12 volts. A hefty load to be sure, but most PUP fridge have DC elements that are less than 100 watts (8 amps or less). The DC element wattage of the actual installed fridge is the figure of interest - the tow vehicle and camper wiring must support BOTH the fridge DC current (element wattage divided by 12 volts) and current needed to recharge the battery with very minimal voltage loss.

Wire from the alternator to the back of the tow vehicle (and the ground wires) should be at least 12 gauge, and preferably 10 gauge or better. These will provide enough current to run the fridge on DC without draining the battery. If you can make the voltage drop small enough with the current flowing, the camper battery will actually charge while towing.

just my experiences
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
I've think you have identified the wrong model fridge for a pop-up. The diagrams show a control panel on the front of the fridge, which is not feasible on a PUP (or A-frame). With the camper folded down, the fridge controls have to be accessed from an outside hatch, typically at the rear of the fridge.

That said, the model linked to has a 150 watt DC heater, which means about 12.5 amps at 12 volts. A hefty load to be sure, but most PUP fridge have DC elements that are less than 100 watts (8 amps or less). The DC element wattage of the actual installed fridge is the figure of interest - the tow vehicle and camper wiring must support BOTH the fridge DC current (element wattage divided by 12 volts) and current needed to recharge the battery with very minimal voltage loss.

Wire from the alternator to the back of the tow vehicle (and the ground wires) should be at least 12 gauge, and preferably 10 gauge or better. These will provide enough current to run the fridge on DC without draining the battery. If you can make the voltage drop small enough with the current flowing, the camper battery will actually charge while towing.

just my experiences
Fred W
I did a quick google, and this was at the top of the list. It looked good.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #18

Pgandw, not necessarily so, my pup fridge has a control panel on the front of the fridge......
But I am fortunate that I can access the fridge with the top down (one of the reasons we got this model)....
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Pgandw, not necessarily so, my pup fridge has a control panel on the front of the fridge......
But I am fortunate that I can access the fridge with the top down (one of the reasons we got this model)....
As the high wall PUPs continue to get larger and larger, they come closer and closer to full TT in their systems. The guidance for simple PUP systems no longer applies, which is why I try to remember to say "typically" or use similar weasel words.

I admit I'm left behind talking about PUPs that have black water tanks and toilets beyond Porta-potties, PUPs that have thermostatic controls on their larger refridgerators (some even have freezers now), and so on.

I'm still in a world of PUP campers that can be easily towed by a 6 cylinder SUV or minivan (3,500lb tow ratings), that can be stored in a garage without issue, where the fridges run continuously with manual adjustment, and gray water is a 5 gal bucket at the end of the hose leading from the external sink drain.

Not knocking the up-scaling at all....just that we are at the point in our lives (last child just off to college) where downsizing and keeping everything as simple and convenient as possible is the better choice for us.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #20

Yeah l hear ya, I was surprised when I learned of the HW, I still had the old pups in my mind when we were shopping for our camper. even though I am at a similar stage on life, I kinds like all the stuff that comes on them these days though I still refuse to deal with the black tank, so that part remains unused. Lol

Oh, and my fridge does have a small freezer
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, drain