Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #1

12v doesn't work on my Flagstaff 205 TT

Hello out there. I have a 2008 Flagstaff 205 TT pop up trailer. It has the battery operated lift system which works fine. But, that's the only thing it works - no other exterior or interior light works off the battery (disconnected from the tow vehicle). I plug in the 110 VAC and all the lights work fine. Is the battery supposed to operate anything besides the lift system?

Also - I think some previous owner mal-fixed the door sliding panels. There is no way to get the panels down after pushing them up - leaving the interior of the trailer pretty cool and windy. Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

Thanks for any help out there!

John
jatroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #2

The battery should operate everything EXCEPT 1) 120V AC outlets, 2) microwave (if installed), 3) air conditioning.

The fact that the lift system works, but everything else does not on battery suggests that the problem is between the battery and the converter. The lift system is usually wired and fused separately from the rest of the electrical.

The converter supplies 12V DC power to the trailer when plugged in to 120VAC, AND recharges the battery.

My guesses would be:
1. Converter fuses for the battery (often called reverse polarity fuses, are typically 30A) are blown
2. Circuit breaker in battery wiring along trailer tongue needs resetting
3. Broken wire between converter and battery

Something to keep in mind is that your battery is not being recharged in the current condition. You may want to put a charger directly on the battery while you trouble-shoot.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

Make sure your sink gallery is not down. There's a switch that shuts off all 12v in camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forumsdaverobenolt
daverobenolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #4

I'm sorry I just noticed you said that exterior light is also out. Still have gallery in up position because you may have a bad bulb on exterior light. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forumsdaverobenolt
daverobenolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #5

Did you check to see if there is just a 30A fuse inline from the battery to the converter? A power lift is a total separate circuit usually with a circuit breaker right at the battery.
The lower fuse in red circle is the main 30A fuse from the batteries to the converter. The upper fuse is for the connection between the two batteries.

I know on mine the two switches under the galley only control the circuits to the ceiling lights/fan and the other switch controls the water pump.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for the tips. I did check out the galley switch, and it is fully operational, so that's not the problem. There is one 30Amp fuse between the battery and the converter, but that checks out OK, so the problem must be somewhere else. The exterior light comes on when I connect the 120v power so it's not a bad bulb . . .
When I connect the 120, there is immediately a blown fuse on circuit #5 (10 Amp fuse) so I'll do more checking there.

No luck yet solving this. I'll continue to work on it. Thanks very much for all the tips!

John
jatroberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff