Old 04-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #41

Do you notice any difference in lifting in cold vs. warm weather with 90 or greater gear oil?

Also, some do not have the weep holes. Mine didn't.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #42

No difference in operation. We were in Ark. last Nov. 30's at night and 50's in the daytime, worked smoothly. You might want to check closely for the weep holes, I think they are there so that any rain water would leak out at the 90 deg. bend and not travel down to the main mechanism.

cabranch47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #43

No holes. I checked, dealer said not all come with the holes, and if I had them, there would have been oil leaked out all over the drive.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #44

Up/Down or doesn't matter?

When shooting the 30 weight into the conduit, does it matter if the roof is raised or not? Got the old Viking out of storage last week and finally had a couple of days to get her cleaned up and ready for sale. Everything went very smoothly but in all the years we have had it, I have never greased the tracks. All the cables are in excellent condition from what I could see with no corrosion at all. The trailer is kept inside when not in use so has seen very little of the elements here in MN. I did dry lube the posts.

Plugged her in, turned on the fridge (Chilling like a champ) and tonight turned on the furnace (fired up instantly) and am going to camp in my driveway tonight. I'm so excited! Sat in her all afternoon and played on the computer...lol.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #45

I would lower it so the oil gets on most of the spring. Important: If you disconnect the conduits while raised the top will come down.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabranch47 View Post
Important: If you disconnect the conduits while raised the top will come down.
Will it? Not that I'm going to do it with the top totally raised, but inquiring minds are wondering why since the conduit is just a passage for the springs. The tension is from the lifting mechanism. And I actually raise mine about 2 inches. It allows the conduit to slide easier back into place. And the top does not come down the 2 inches.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #47

It seems to me that, although the springs are holding the top up, the conduit is guiding and enclosing the spring. If the top was raised and the conduit released, I think that the spring would push it down and then you would have manually raise the top to release the pressure in order to reattach the conduit.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #48

That does make sense; not that I'm going to try it with all four corners up at the same time

But I have learned that if you raise it an inch or two then drop a corner conduit and do the lube, it does makes it easier to slide the conduit back up over the spring. But I ONLY DO ONE corner at a time. First year, I did it with the top down and for one corner, I had to unlatch to get the conduit back up.

Another thing is those self-tapped holes in the conduit bracket can strip out. But easily remedied with bolts, nuts and lock washers.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #49

Old thread but exactly what I needed, and I only went through the registration process (which I usually do NOT do) to thank you for letting us benefit from your knowledge and going to the trouble of describing the lubrication process so well not to mention responding to various queries about what lubricant. This is what the internet is all about!.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #50

I see my links the photos have dropped. Guess I should do the info again with new links since I cannot edit.

Tags
camper