Old 09-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #31

09-06-2009

I booked a campsite last Thursday, packed up the family, and headed for Earl Rowe provincial park for 3 nights. While I couldn't reserve an electrical site, I was able to switch to an electric site once we arrived. No refrigerator with us as it wasn't installed yet.

Temps were quite cool at night, so glad we had a portable ceramic heater. This 8ft camper is small, but suited us just fine. A portable toilet always comes with us, to make sure the ladies are comfortable and don;t have to face the bears at night...lol No table in the trailer, yet. Its on the list.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #32

09-06-2009

This picture below is just some Canadian humor We love our Tim Horton's coffee. Yes, I still use an old Coleman camp fuel stove. Its part of the experience of camping for me.

This is my 'roof renovation helper' getting some guidance from one of the park rangers during one of the organized children's programs.

A great test of the camper, although we had no rain. I still have some final sealing to do, so that's probably a good thing.

I hope to progress this week with the fridge. Plan is to clean it, get it working, then start cutting into the trailer to make it fit. I'm sure I can get the vents this week, and don't want to cut any holes until I have them in my hand as a template.

Anyone ever cut an awning down to size? The awning that came with this trailer is 10ft long, and the trailer is 8ft. I'd rather cut it down to make it fit proper. It has the aluminum cross bar, and folding/sliding aluminum legs on the two front corners. All of which rolls up into a zippered bag.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #33

09-07-2009

Today I kept moving ahead a little. Last day before school starts for the kids!

The left wheel was a victim of rust and wasn't helping the appearance of the trailer. I just happened to have bought a new wheel for my boat trailer a few weeks ago, and it fits the pup better. Boat trailer is rusty regardless. While doing so I cleaned up and greased the bearings on both sides, and shot a bit of black paint in that area to clean it up a bit. Wire wheeling the lug nuts was the icing on the cake.

Moving ahead with the fridge, I decided that while cleaning it I might just as well remove the cooling circuit from the fridge compartment all together. Just a few screws and wire connections and it slid right out.

That should allow me to clean up the fridge. It has a bit of corrosion in the lower sections that needs repair. I'll probably epoxy the bad areas to slow down the corrosion. A quick coat of paint should make it look like new again.

I can't believe how small that orifice in the LPG line is. Surprising it gets any flame at all.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #34

09-07-2009

I dismantled the orifice and burner. Cleaned them out, then decided it would look better polished up a bit.

I'm a bit disappointed, as I think I may have broken the flame sensing thermocouple when I was trying to release the burner gas fitting. The thermocouple has a copper sheathing (very thin) around a solid core wire. The thin sheathing has a crack in it now. I'm hoping that the remaining copper tube will provide the electrical circuit requirements to function properly, else I may be searching for a hard-to-find replacement part. uh-oh.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #35

09-08-2009

I found a generic 18" thermocouple ($7) today that might work. Had to re-drill the mounting hole to fit, but it seems good and solid and position in the flame (I hope).

Bad news is the other end of the thermocouple which screws into the valve is fine thread. Seems my vintage fridge uses a course thread, and they're not typical. I'll be re-tapping the valve cover tomorrow to accept the fine thread. Hopefully it goes okay, else I may have a 2-way fridge now.

My vent covers came in today as well. They're inexpensive and should work just fine.

That's about it for today's update.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #36

09-11-2009

Still plugging away. Successfully re-tapped the threads on the thermocouple and it functions properly with the electromagnet again.

The fridge is in several pieces and I'm working on the cosmetics (yes, probably no good reason to do it) as I wanted to slow down some of the rust. Fluid circuit has been sanded as much as possible and painted black (BBQ paint).

Some of the rear panel has been sanded and test-painted with white appliance paint.

I've laid a layer of metal epoxy in this rusted area and it should suffice once it cures. Probably need a few layers.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #37

09-11-2009

Some miscellaneous sheet metal getting some paint while I'm at it.

Might be in a position to re-assemble the fridge tomorrow.

I have most of the parts I need to install it finally. We'll see if this weekend allows the time to get started on it.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #38

09-12-2009

Fridge re-assembly went reasonably well. No major issues.

This was just a cosmetic overhaul. Painted the exterior with Krylon Appliance Epoxy Paint.

I think these before/after show an improvement.

Tested the electrical performance and it appeared okay. I have it on propane right now. Cooling down from 62F. We'll see if there is an improvement. Flame doesn't look much bigger than before. Maybe.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #39

09-12-2009

Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #40

09-13-2009

Today's mission was to see if I could make the fridge fit in the trailer. Weather has been unusually pleasant this past week; good for outside projects.

This morning the fridge was in the mid-30's after running all night on propane. It still doesn't cool as fast as the 120V, but it gets there. That's all that matters for now.

The location of the fridge means that the vent holes I cut will remove the logos on the left rear of the pup. Not much I can do about that.

To begin the installation I needed to remove the icebox, fold-over sink, and the cabinet in that corner. Not too hard...just a few screws.

The conduit running front to rear for the lift mechanism will be exposed after I cut the side wall out. There is a 120V wiring that I'll need to be aware of as well. I am going to tap into this later for a surface mount outlet to run the fridge. There appears to be anough slack in the wires to accomplish that.

I test fit the fridge in position, and measure where I need to cut the front fascia panelling back to allow it to fit. The counter is factory curved to allow access to the fridge door lock. This fridge is very similar to the Dometic and Norcold versions in that regard. Lucky for me.

Tags
flagstaff, tent camper