Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #61

We also took a drive through a local provincial camping park today (Bronte Creek). I've known the camping section was there for a few years, but never laid my eyes on it. Of course, anyone from the area would likely have been to the park's day-use area at some time. It located very close to major cities, and is nestled in a residential area and protected wildlife area.

I was surprised at the layout, and the fact that they did have some wooded sites. We've booked in for the Oct 24th weekend, as they are having a Halloween activity. Hoping the kids will enjoy that, and that we don't get too cold.

http://www.brontecreek.org/bronte-cr...activities.htm

The Woodland and Ravine areas are closed for the season, but the Savannah and Prairie areas are open thru to Oct 24th weekend.

92_Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #62

There is a product by Duncan called deck master. It comes on a roll in 6 or 8 foot rolls. We have used it to cover a rotted floor on a pontoon boat, and it would also work on a trailer top. It is not expensive and it installs in a similar way to flooring. It is rated for all weather. You can view by gooogling duncan deck master. I am mentioning it in case anyone reads this who has a leaky roof and does not have the skill that you have for replacing the whole roof.
I enjoyed seeing your pictures, my husband and I totally restored a tent trailer, which we used until last year.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #63

Thanks Lady Wendolyn,

I had not seen that product. Thier website shows it is available in 74" wide rolls. Not quite wide enough for a pup, but a center seam is not out of the question.

http://www.ducan.com/dm_overview.php
Quote:
Measuring
DEK-MASTER rolled vinyl sheet comes in 74" width. As with carpeting, fewer seams or overlaps result in a better appearance. To determine the correct amount of vinyl sheeting required allow for:

1. Extra 1"– 2" down the flashing
2. Extra 1/2"– 1" up the cantstrip
3. Extra 1/2"– 1" for each overlap if required

Overlaps may be run parallel or perpendicular to the wall with equal sucess. It is up to the consumer to sketch accurately and measure the deck in order to decide on the most economical way to lay the DEK-MASTER vinyl sheet.
If this roof develops any leaks as a result of my cheap patch job, I may just consider that Dek-Master product.

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #64

I have the installation instructions that came with these used BAL stabilizers, and I even have the mounting screws. Interestingly, I googled for images of stabilizers installed on pups and came up with dismal images. I know I can install them fine, and it looks like they will need to be at about 45° facing inwards from each corner in order to catch my secondary frame rails while have two solid mounts at the crank end at the corner of the frame.

The threaded rod doesn't extend much past the wall corners, but the round sand pads do. I'm just curious if anyone has any pics of their stabilizers, installed on a pup as reference material?

I crawled under a few pups at the RV show this weekend, and I see most of them have additional supports welded in. I'm curious if that's the norm. I'm not really worried about the overhang past the pup wall, but should I be?

The thin red lines in this image are to show what is about a 2-1/2" overhang of the floor past the frame. The red circle shows the sand pad extending past. Hope its clear.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #65

Found a little bit of energy, so I decided to install one tonight to see how it looked. I flipped the sand pad upwards when I brought it up to prevent pad rattle while travelling. Is that the normal routine with BAL stabilizers?

With three self tapping machine screws, installation went quickly. Please ignore the rusty frame... that's next project for next spring.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #66

This is the corner that sags when the bunks are weighted down. I don't think we'll see any more sag

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Watch those self tapping screws. They make the install easy, but on my trailer I had to re-tighten every 500 miles or so. Finally threw them away and replaced with bolts and self-locking nuts. At least I don't worry about one falling off anymore.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #68

Thanks for the tip. On your experience, I'll add thru bolts to be safe.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #69

I've had a few people asking me how much I have invested into this trailer. My initial guesstimate was around 6 or 700 dollars. I decided to tally up the receipts, and it came in at just over $1K CDN. This should be quite accurate as I kept every receipt in one spot. If I am missing something, it would be a minor item. While it is higher than I thought, I'm not disappointed as I think I could sell it for a profit based on current market conditions. Odds are I could use it for a season or two and lose little, if any, of my investment. Time will tell.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #70

Just got back from our 3rd trip in it so far. Just me, youngest DD, and the dog. We share b-days within a few days of each other so I thought since she put so much effort into this trailer we would try and squeeze one last trip in before snowfall.

She cooked me lunch on my b-day:

SW Ontario had been covered in lady-bugs lately. These are the pale orange kind, and occasionally take a little bit if they're bored. My daughter ran the camera, so we ended up with quite a few pics of these Little fellas.

Weather was fantastic. Really lucky in that it was not cold at all.

The majority of the park was closed for the season, but they keep one section open all year (except December). I met up with quite a few campers form another online forum, great people.

Camper worked out really well.

Safe journeys....
Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 AM   #71

Wow, great project. It looks great. Just over $1000 and when finished it looks like you will have a better than new pop-up. I'm jealous, I wish I had just some of your skill, but alas, no such luck. Still, I love reading these kinds of threads.
Jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #72

Thanks for the compliment Jeff. It was lot of fun working on tht trailer. I hope we can find time ot use it this year once the weather warm up.

Tags
flagstaff, tent camper