Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Question 1998 Rockwood Freedom Pop Up camper

I am a new owner of a used 1998 Rockwood Freedom pop up camper. I want to set it up and plug it into my household outlet to test out the air conditioner or to cool down the refrigerator before taking it out camping. It has a 25 foot 30 amp 110 plug in.... do I need to buy an adapter to plug this into my household outside outlet OR can I plug it in just the way it is to test out the things I mentioned?
Nanasturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #2

Plug it in using a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter, just remember if the outlet you will be using needs to have a 30 amp breaker or the A/C will probably trip the breaker. The fridge will take about 24 hours to cool down using 110 elec. make sure the only switch for the fridge is only 110 turn the 12 volt switch to off position.

Have fun learning about your new camper
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

you can plug it in using the adapter JBar mentioned When we had our high wall 277, we would plug it in before every trip to cool down the fridge. The fridge will take awhile to cool down (like overnight). We never ran the air conditioner when plugged in at home as it was a 15 amp outlet, but all the other items worked.
Happy camping!
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #4

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

Thank you all for the information...you all have been great! I did get the adapter and the refrigerator works as well as the air and the interior lights so I am super excited! I'm sure I will use these forums alot as I learn about it.... can anyone tell me where the fuses are usually located at on this camper...as I said, I'm a work in progress!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #6

Look for a brown panel, mine is under the dinette seat. Just push in on the door and it will open. Not sure what model you have
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #7

Thanks, I will do that! I so appreciate all the help I get here!
Old 09-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

What size A/C does your Pop-up (PuP) have? A small A/C should work on the 15Amp circuit. Look up the model and make sure. The reason is, many RV Air Conditioners are made with an overload circuit, which if you try to run it with too little power, it will blow. If it is under warranty, it will void the warranty. If not, then you'll just need to replace that fusable line.

We had a small unit on our PuP (Mach 10), which is rated at 13 Amps, so it worked fine on the 15 Amp circuit.

Just letting you know.

By the way, there are lots of cool things for Pop-ups at the popupportal.com. Excellent location for PuP-specific stuff. We used that quite a bit, when we had ours.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

I'm not sure what size but I did get the adapter and used household currant and it did great... I was just tickled it worked. I can't imagine camping without air now that I am a tad older lol I will check out that site you gave me..awesome!!

Tags
camper, pop up, rockwood