Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

1st long trip with 2514G

Pup delivered in Nov 2014
after 2 shakedown trips in spring 2015:
- Replaced Brake/Turn signals. Found 1 to be out after winter storage. The mounting base was mounted on convex surface leaving gaps between base and lens cover, allowing water and dirt to run through freely. Replaced with waterproof LED set instead of playing with caulk.
- Added Z-bend vinyl strip under the velcro on the slide-out dinette. Torrential rains during second weekend showed water leaking in this area and soaking the dinette sides, running down across floor, etc.

XCountry trip in July 2015: Mid-Atlantic to Waterton, AB to Glacier NP, to Yellowstone NP. 5600 mi +/-. 18 days
(MD-Chicago-Bismark-Great Falls-Waterton(4 nights)-St Mary's MT(4 nights)-Yellowstone(4 nights)-Kennebec SD-Elkhart-MD)
DW and I did this trip last year and liked it enough to re-do with 2 grown kids + 1 Son-in-Law.

Good:
- Almost everything came home with us (except ugly below).
- Running gear performed well, including the much maligned WestLake ST tires (D rated on this trailer). 65psi at mostly 72 mph. (Yes, they ARE rated at 65).
- Reese sc WDH performed well.
- Heated beds are nice!
- Room enough for 5 adults.
Bad:
- The wire used for visual/manual height limit got tangled into canvas and pulled out the bottom screw. REALLY?!
- Condensation on inside Vinyl roof often. Tried a lot of things with ventilation and settled on drying with shammies before closing up for travel when necessary. Not a problem on our previous pup which had fabric lining under vinyl. I've not gotten the PUGs, and of course one should not really have to spend that kind of extra money to make the product (trailer) acceptable. I would re-consider buying again on that basis alone.
- Stove fell out of fold over galley during travel. Very cheap and flimsy clamp system used to hold in place. I will probably fix myself since putting it back to original spec is pointless.
- Sink drain issues when using 3/4 hose. Some relief obtained by re-routing under-sink drain. I will revert to using 1-1/2 PVC drain arrangement from prior pup, which had the same issue.
- under cabinet water line corner keepers fell off.
- Screw(s) fell out of bed-end canvas bow. Was able to re-attach. Will be going around adding loctite where needed.
- Cabinet facing on potty storage cabinet fell off. 1/4 in screws in 3/8 fibre board must not be up to the task. In defense of the over-light attachment, the design is very poor anyway since the hinge is set up such that the 'door' must be lifted straight up at 90 degrees, then folded back under. This is counter-intuitive as most people would tend to pull the front out first to lift.
- Door on the slide out trunk can be opened while locked. The doors are poorly designed, such that they are hinged at the back. Should they pop open at speed, bad things will happen.
- Dropped the permanently attached AC cable back through the access. Was able to fish out with stiff wire. Good thing, since getting it out from inside would have required dis-assembling a cabinet false floor which is one of the most strongly built internal elements in the pup.
- Liberal use of 1/8 laminate to separate cabinet areas. These are mostly glued in place which was a good thing when my DW hand got stuck on one.
- We have a cup of about 6 screws/bolts of indeterminate origin. Could be extras strewn about from build; or may a keystone type item waiting to fail.
- Just Weird. The dinette seats (lift to access storage) have a really nice backboard attached to make sitting comfortable. It also make access very difficult since the presence of the board prevents lifting the seat access beyond about 45 degrees. Intern must have taken a hand a design. This is somewhat like auto engineers making things like spark plugs and oil filters nearly impossible to access.
- Minor water leakage through dealer added AC unit during horizontal monsoon type rain.
Ugly:
- First morning left tongue jack down. Many unimaginative and repetitive bad words from me. My bad, though I did this a couple times with previous pup with no ill effects. Difficult to find an in-stock jack in Eau Claire WI on Sat morning to fit. The BAL jack Orig Equip is very light duty. Perhaps an example of the engineer to minimal spec mindset that seems more prevalent these days, and not just at FR.

Overall, ok. I don't expect the same lifespan from this pup, however, that we've obtained in the past.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #2

what is the z bend, I did a quick search and didnt find anything
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:53 AM   #3

The vinyl z bend is a piece I found at Home Depot.

There is velcro on the dinette slideout sides to hold down the canvas. In (admittedly) torrential type rain we got water along/under the velcro which soaked the dinette seat back and down on to floor. The aluminum piece that velcro is attached to has very little vertical return to prevent water coming in. I removed the velcro, put on the strip, then replaced the velcro on top to prevent any future issues. Not sure HOW the water got that far...... bottom pic is after completion.

We also noticed that water was wicking in through the ties that hold window flaps rolled up. Liberal application of scotchgard seems to have remedied that.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

We have the 2514 and the sink drain is on the frontside of the trailer. What do you do hook up for hosing?

NS Newbie - 2nd Popup
NSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #5

I presume by front side of trailer you mean the side the door is on.

I settled on a jury rig from Lowes/Home Depot. No pictures yet.
-1 1/2 screw on adapter goes in to drain on side of trailer.
-1 1/2 'T' attaches to the adapter.
-The 'top' side of the T has a 1 1/2 to 1/2 adapter with a short 1/2 pvc to act as the vent.
-The 'bottom' side of the T has a couple 1 1/2 90 and 45 elbows connected by a short piece of 1 1/2 pvc.
-A second 1 1/2 screw adapter goes on the bottom.
-The garden hose adapter provided with the trailer attaches to the bottom. The grey water container goes sort-a behind the wheel, sort-a out of sight

The extra bends were needed to clear the outside table which we generally hang there for stays longer than 1 night. I suppose you could add that to the list of things 'not quite right' with the trailer. Tested this setup a week ago. It improves the flow out of the sink. With only the garden hose attachment we've had difficulties draining the sink. Had this on our last pup also. I saw a reference to a setup like this somewhere else on the forums here.

Enjoy.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #6

Wow Underthedog. Too many issues for a new unit. And I am scared knowing I have the same 2015 model. We also had some issues......
small cabinet next to slide out coming apart.
skylight fan has a small leak when raining heavy - I will caulk that this weekend.
Roof Lift does not work manually, only with power. So if I should lose power I am screwed.
I also do not like a lot of the sharp edged where the canvas gets stretched over..... I have to place something soft where those sharp exposed edges meet the canvas.
And the wood chock at the slide out window that guides the bed if off, can throw the bed off the track & gets stuck. I had to reposition it on an angle that will help.

Overall a great unit, but seems some items not thought out well. And could have had better quality in certain areas.

good luck
Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

FOUND THAT ONE too!
Before taking it out last weekend.
There was some mold around the back bed canvas.
Some from a leak around the a/c. NOT a FR problem, dealer install wasn't tightened down enough.
Found the fan leak when testing the a/c for leaks. Smeared some extra caulk on between rain showers, still need to fix permanently. Visual inspection looked good, must have been pretty subtle leak.
The only sharp edge that worrys me are on the ends of the prop poles for the tent end bows. I figure one day I'll push one right through when I'm in a hurry.
We have another long journey planned this summer. We'll see how it holds up.
We're reasonably content with it now, but do not really expect to get 12 yrs our of this one.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #8

Shouldn't be for new models. My last pup was a 97 Dutchmen. Got 19 good years with very little issue. Granted it didn't have a slide out / Air or all the other bells and whistles the 2514G has. But got alot of use out of it. Thanks for sharing Underthedog. Have a great season with no more issues.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #9

2nd trip , loving it. Our view from the pup.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465355099.486443.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	110451

Dutchmen
Old 06-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

Thanks for posting all the info. We just picked ours up and it's great to have a reference on where/what I should keep an eye on.
13. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #11

We are taking ours out again tomorrow. Thanks everyone. Very helpful to see other issues.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #12

Read you post. Tore the screw out anyway. Lol. What a bad design. Other than that so far so good
13. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

Our cabinet with our drawers to the left of the door keeps loosening. Hubbie put more screws in it tonight. It's solid now. Hopefully this will hold.

NS Newbie - 2nd Popup

Tags
2514g