Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

2004 Flagstaff 176SD LTD - Frige not working

Everything works except the frige. What could be the cause of this?
I am also looking for an owners manual...
DarkChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #2

Need more information. Does it lite on gas? Do you have 120? Do you have 12 volts? Is it turned on?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
Site Team

You should have a 3-way fridge, with settings for propane, 110vAC and 12v DC.
Which is it set on?
And you should be able to find a manual online, if you have the model#, on Dometic's website.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #4

I have an HW258, with a 3 way fridge. I didn't want to start another thread, so I figured I would ask my questions here. My fridge turns on, but it doesn't run. Could this be because I am not plugged into a 30 amp plug (just a normal 15 amp house plug)?

Thanks
randyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyfloyd View Post
I have an HW258, with a 3 way fridge. I didn't want to start another thread, so I figured I would ask my questions here. My fridge turns on, but it doesn't run. Could this be because I am not plugged into a 30 amp plug (just a normal 15 amp house plug)?
How can you tell it's on, but not running? Most all PUP and A-frame fridges (there are exceptions in some high walls) are continuous run (no cycling). On propane, the gas "temperature control" has nothing to do with fridge temperature. The control is simply a metering valve for the propane that determines the amount of gas feeding the burner. Similarly, if there is a "temperature control" for the AC mode, again it just controls the amount of AC power and therefore heat going into the fridge chimney.

According to the manual for the fridge in my Aframe, the AC coil is 100 watts (less than 1 amp of house power). The DC coil is 70 watts (less than 6 amps at 12V).

These RV fridges take time - 24 hours or more - to stabilize at the cool temperature.

The way I have always checked to see if my PUP or A-frame fridge is running is to feel how hot the chimney is. The hotter the chimney, the more the fridge is cooling. If the chimney is not noticeably hotter than the outside air, it's not cooling.

Inside the fridge, the fuller the fridge is, the better it cools. That's because there is no fan to circulate the cool air - it cools strictly by convective air currents. Objects (packages of food or drink) at different temperatures from the cooling fins increase the convective air flow. Those who need greater efficiency or cooling from their RV fridge will install computer fans inside (increase convective air flow) and/or at the bottom of the chimney (sometimes baffles instead of fans) to increase air flow across the condenser coils.

I plug in the camper 12 or 36 hours before a trip, and start the fridge on AC max cool. I tow with the fridge in DC mode. Food is carried in coolers in the car because unlatching the roof and raising slightly to open the door to crawl to the fridge door is a pain. After setup at camp I load the food and drinks, and I run on propane or AC (depending on hook-ups) with fridge on 7 of 8 scale for the 1st 12-24 hours. Then if (usually when) stuff inside is starting to freeze, I turn the cooling down a couple of numbers.

Fred W
keeping camping simple
now: 2014 Rockwood A122 Aframe
before: 2000 Coleman Westlake PUP
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #6

Thanks,

The power lights on the fridge are on and the light on the inside is on. I did notice the chimney was starting to get hot, so maybe I was just being impatient. Thanks for the great info!
Old 07-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks
Old 07-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Thanks
Starting a new thread is always best.
Information and suggestions get mixed up and confuses everyone.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks,

The power lights on the fridge are on and the light on the inside is on. I did notice the chimney was starting to get hot, so maybe I was just being impatient. Thanks for the great info!
The fact that you have power lights, and an inside light, on a high wall PUP tells me that you have a more conventional RV fridge similar to the ones in the travel trailers. What I said about continuous run and lack of thermostatic control probably does not apply. Your power draws on AC and DC will be higher than what mine are because your fridge is significantly bigger.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
peaceparson

I think I just found the answer to my own fridge problem! thaqnks!
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #11

Thanks all!!!

My fridge is working now, I was just being a little impatient.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #12

Thanks

Found my answers... Sorry for the disturbance. You might have guessed tha I am completely new to this.
DarkChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff