Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #1

2004 Rockwood: What does the outside power compartment control?

I bought an used 2004 Rockwood trailer last week -- and it didn't have any owners manuals (and the online owner's manuals that I found do not have much detail on some things). The previous owner bought it used and left it in his garage for two years and never used it either -- thus, he didn't have many answer for me.

My question are this:

1. There is a side panel door that opens up that looks like it controls the propane; on/off for 110v and on/off for 12v. There is also an odd dial with numbers on it above the on/off switches. Does anyone know what this controls? Is this just for the fridge or does it have any bearing on the propane heater located inside?

2. The trailer didn't come with a battery (side note: any recommendations on the type of battery I should use?), so I don't have any 12v power. However, I hooked it up to a an external electrical source -- but despite this the propane heater still doesn't work. The fan kicks on, I hear some clicking like something's trying to light, but no heat is soming out. I read on one forum thread that you need both 12v (I'm assuming this means battery) and propane for the heater to work. Is this accurate? Or should it be working with my external (non-battery) electical hook-up?

3. Lastly, there is a on/off toggle swtich above the fuse box / inverter -- for the life of me I can't figure out what it does. Since I don't have a battery hooked up -- I'm wondering if it is an emergency shut off for the 12v power. Does this seem correct?

Any help or answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Structurally the trailer seems to be in great shape, and the canvas is in like new condition -- but I'm questioning the wisdom of my decision in buying something that I literally know nothing about ... but if I get these things figured out and get the kids out of the city for a few weekends at the coast or in the mountains I will be ... one happy camper (pun intented )

Thanks in advance for helping out a novice!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #2

A bit more information is needed. The model of your camper, for starters, and some photos of the switches you're asking about.

trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

It is a Rockwood Freedom ... I'm at work -- so I don't have the exact model number, but here is a pic of what it looks like. The panel opens up on right side of the trailer (non-door side) -- inside is a red button I presume for lighting a pilot light -- a high, medium, low, knob -- and then a 110 on off switch and 12v on/off switch -- and then a round knob above that ...

Does this help?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #4

I found a pic of the power controls -- does anyone know how these work and what they are used for (fridge? stove? propane heater?) -- again, any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED ... I looked liket the world's greatest dad when I brought this home, but if I can't get it to work ... well, it will be a bleak Father's Day at my house!

Here it is:

Old 05-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

That's your fridge control. Use only one power source at any given time.

12v is good when towing and your tow vehicle hookup has 12v battery charging.

120v when shore power is available.

Propane for when dry camping.

The dials are just the setting for how cold. The higher the number the colder.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

So, this has nothing to do with the propane heater or stove inside?

Thanks,
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #7

#2: I'd guess that your gas lines need purged. Turn on the propane, then light the stove burner (if you have one). Once it's lit, the lines will be purged of air.

Then try the furnace.

#3: my guess is that service is for the water pump, this is used when no city water hookup is available and you have water in the campers fresh water tank. However if you switch it on and nothing happens when opening a water faucet, then it may be something else.

As others said the exact model will give more definitive answers.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

I'm sure someone will jump on here soon to help you out. We have a travel trailer, and I'm not sure what these are for. But that's the great thing about this forum...SOMEONE will have an answer for you. Good luck, and happy camping!

P.S. - There really isn't an "owners manual" for every camper. RV manufacturers aren't like auto manufacturers where they have a manual for every aspect of every unit they build. With so many different models, different options, different components, etc., they'd have to have an entire warehouse full of manuals!! The forum members are at the ready to answer your questions. If there are manuals for the components - stove, refrigerator, heater, etc. those are your starting points. If you don't have those, you can find your model number and most likely download an owners manual from the manufacturer.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #9

Thanks for your help -- it is very appreciated. One last question, does it make sense that the propane heater would only work with 12v (battery power) and not 120v? I found this statement on another thread and it seemed odd to me.

Thanks again -- you've been a big help!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

Yes, that's for your fridge. The big knob on the left is to turn in the propane. You should turn it to high and hold down while pushing the red piezo igniter knob several times. That should light the propane.

The big green switch is for 110v with electric hookups.

The smaller red switch is for 12v to run off the battery only when connected to your tow vehicle.

As mentioned above only run the fridge on one power source at a time.

For the furnace try lighting and running your inside stove for a minute to purge any air in the gas lines and see if it helps.

For #3, I think it's the on/off switch for your water pump. Should only be used when you don't have city water connection and you need to fill your onboard water tank.