Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

2006 Forest River Flagstaff 206st Cable/Pulley repair bent frame

I had a problem earlier this year with the pulley/cable system seizing up and didn't realize it till the rear frame of the camper bent slightly inward. The pulley was working before and had no problems, but this time the pulley just locked up. I didn't realize it till I turned it 1 or 2 times and it bent the rear frame. I knew then that I had to replace the cable for fears of it being pulled to tight or snapping later on with all the pressure it had taken. I ended up taking the pulley system apart and greasing and potting oil in each of the stanchion tubes. I ordered the cable, pulley and couple other small parts from Goshen Stamping - (they are awesome and it was only like $60) and spent about 1/2 a day replacing and repairing everything from the rear frame tube to the pulley cable/oil/grease. I didn't know at first how to fix and strengthen the rear frame, but started looking around the week before for parts to strengthen the frame as you can see from the pictures it bent some things that weren't going to be going back fully straight. I used some channel strut from Lowes to strengthen and make sure the frame didn't move again. I also used a chain puller tied to a tree to pull the frame back to a perfectly straight position to then install the channel strut. the only things that isn't straight is the triangular bar the connects it to the adjacent frame pieces, but my channel strut is stronger now. I drill and bolted it to the frame. forward holes were existing in the frame of the camper - so not too bad. Then I replaced and did everything else to get all the pulley system parts back on the camper and oil and greased it during that time. Works as good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bent.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	104562   Click image for larger version

Name:	bent2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	104563   Click image for larger version

Name:	bent3.jpg
Views:	139