Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #1

2006 Rockwood Freedom manual lift problem

Hello, my wife and I purchased a used 2006 Rockwood Freedom w a manual lift and we have an issue with the cable. For some reason the roof is stuck at about 12" open and the cable is wrapped around the outside of the manual lift wheels (under the manual crank). I was told to be very careful as there is a lot of tension on the cable and it could snap. Is there an easy fix for this? I can't seem to raise or lower the roof! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398133343.461122.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	50647Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398133353.022754.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	50648
pgaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #2

Proceed with care and caution. Wear gloves and safety glasses if you have or even a face shield. Have someone stand nearby for help.
That said the cable is strong and looks in good condition. Block the roof up with wood on alternate corners or with scissor jacks. If possible raise it a bit so it can be lowered onto the blocking.
Once the roof is supported crank the cable loose. Use a rope to pull tension into the cable as it spools off of the winch. Once it is fully spooled off check for damage. If it is badly kinked or frayed it will need replacement.
It should be set so that it rides inside the side plates of the winch spool. If not it is an install error and must be fixed.
Use the rope at this point to guide the cable to spool neatly as the roof is cranked up. Once the cable is back under tension lift the roof off of the blocking. Remove the blocking and lift the roof. Check for obstructions to lowering the roof and move them. Then reattempt to lower the roof. It should work this time. Once it is fully lowered don't crank down any further and check that there are at least 3 full wraps on the winch drum.
Any further problems write back or contact your service shop or dealer.
Remember Never stand in line with a cable that could snap, always off to one side.
Be safe and good luck.
gettawaydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

Thank-you for your helpful reply. We managed to support the roof and take apart the crank mechanism. The cable was caught up in the gears and had snapped. Looks like we now need to know how to replace it. We're unsure as to how to remove the long metal track under the chassis (if that is a requirement). I see the pulley on the back side, but not sure where it attaches to the four corner cables that go off in the tubes.
pgaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

The pulley at the back is for "roof level adjustment". Probably shouldn't play with that. I will look and see if I have a cable diagram that I can send in an attachment when I get a chance. It's much simpler on modern pups than with the older models.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #5

The lift system is likely a Goshen 2660 if the 4 lift posts are rectangular. Basically there is a compound system in the main tube in the bottom that the cable drives to shove 4 long springs up into the 4 tubes and into the roof to raise it. goshenstamping.com has a detailed version of how to perform repairs. Link is below. In their version it is performed with the roof closed but you might get by with the roof up a bit. To get it down, if need be, have 4 strong people at the corners use the palms of their hands to lift, and support the roof and remove the blocking, then lower in unison keeping fingers clear.
On separate note there are hydraulic ram and power winch systems available for raise/lower and this would be an ideal time to install one. I have the power winch and love it. up and down in seconds with no effort.

http://www.goshenstamping.com/pdf/SP..._PROCEDURE.pdf

http://www.goshenstamping.com/pdf/26...PARTS_LIST.pdf

You should be able to order the cable through your dealer or contact Goshen Stamping directly. They have a website, email, phone, and fax all available online.

Tags
manual, rockwood