Old 07-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
2008 256HW roof raise

I recently purchased a used 08 256HW from a dealership in Harrisburg and so far it's been a rocky road in terms of service and communications. Everything worked fine on the unit when I picked it up after purchasing it then I took the unit home and raised the roof once set the unit up then took it back down. I went back two days later after driving it literally across a two lane road and now the front of the roof does not lift. The main pulley cable under the unit seems to be in tact and none of the springs appeared to be protruding at the ends of the tubes under the unit. Any ideas as to what the cause may be? The service members at the dealership claim it's the "lifter cable" but they have not been the most reliable thus far.... Does this sound accurate? Any other possibilities or similar past experiences? Thanks in advance for the help!

Ff1046380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
Very simplistic illustration I did last year of how the system works.

• As the winch is turned, the cable, is in the bottom track of the cable bracket and rolls onto the drum
  • In the approximate center of the cable is a center pusher that is crimped onto the cable.
  • The center pusher pulls the center plate forward
  • As the center plate moves forward in the bracket, it pushes the two front springs into the two conduits (one for each front corner) and this pushes up the two corners of the front roof.
  • The cable is wrapped around the rear pulley. The rear pulley is used for adjustment of the cable to allow the rear of the roof to rise at the same time as the front.
  • The cable then goes int the top track of the cable bracket (some call it a wiffle tree)
  • The rear pusher is also crimped onto the rear of the cable.
  • As the cable moves to the rear, the pusher pushes the rear plate
  • The rear plate then pushes against the two rear springs pushing them into the two rear conduits (one for each corner) and this pushes up the two corners of the rear roof.

Only way I can see that the rear can be raised but not the front is that the center pusher has broken free of the cable and it and the plate are sliding on the cable, as the cable is pulled forward. Meanwhile the rear pusher is still crimped onto the cable, and is pushing the plate, which in turn is pushing the rear springs up.

When I replaced my cable (and threw away the power winch) last year, I ordered the cable from Goshen the manufacture of the system. Goshen warned me about getting a cable at Lowes or Home Depot, said the pushers will sometime come lose. But I figured they want to sell me one of their cables so who knows.

So, I check into purchasing cable at Home Depot and Lowes, and the guy at Lowes told me, get it from the manufacture, or find someone who can hydraulically crimp the pusher on. They have sold cables with crimped on pieces to act as a pusher, but many are returned. Their crimper cannot do the same as the hydraulic pushers used in a plant.

Goshen will sell the cable for a few bucks more, so that is where I got mine. Don't want it to fail in the middle of nowhere. Besides it takes quite a bit of pressure to push those spring up those conduits so you want those pushers crimped on as good as possible.

I have heard that some have had good luck at places like Lowes/Home depot. If figured I didn't want to gamble.

Would be curious if the previous owner replaced the cable with a non-manufacture model.

The cable is not hard to replace; however, it might be the greasiest job I have done in my life. But that track is supposed to be full of grease (if not, someone has not lubed it every year as recommended) and if not lubed as recommended, that will add a lot of stress on those pushers and plates.
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

roo, roof